Forums Latest Members
  1. Pguyot May 15, 2022

F90DEF9E-930C-4A41-B74C-D0A5C56AE97B.jpeg E2F0DC99-5441-45B3-B7BF-1508DC33E90A.jpeg Hello, all. I joined this site in hopes that someone can give me some real information on my watch.

The watch belonged to my late father who willed it to me along with some other timepieces (all quartz). This was the watch I remember seeing on his wrist as a kid. He passed several years ago and when I received it there was no strap and no crown.

In 2019 I bought the strap you see at a cheap watch kiosk - where the person told me the watch was a valuable “bumper” from the 40’s. Another person a few months later told me it was a 1958 Omega. I don’t have much faith in either of their opinions. I’m not even sure that’s the original back, is it?

When I can afford it, I’d love to send it into Omega to have the crown replaced and whatever else it needs. In the meantime, if anyone can give me some solid accurate information on what it is, what year, and if it’s worth anything, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for your time! (Forgive me if I screwed up the placement of the two images)

2. SkunkPrince May 15, 2022

That appears to be an early 50s US Collection watch.

There are a number of paths you can follow depending on your goals.

If you want it to look like brand new, Omega servicing might be your choice.

If you want to wear it and keep it in its condition now, then an independent watchmaker might be your choice.

If you want to keep it and not wear it, then doing nothing might be your choice.

Knowing where you live can help us direct you to (one hopes) a local watchmaker, but decent watchmakers are few and far between, so you might need to mail it out.

This is a good watch and will, once it is restored, serve you decades.

Welcome to the community!

TheGreekPhysique likes this.
  3. Pguyot May 16, 2022

Thank you for the reply! My goal is to keep the watch. And keep it as original as possible. I would love to find as close to original crown as possible.

I’m in the LA and AZ areas.

May I ask - does US Collection mean something specific? And is this a bumper? Apologies for being obtuse. :)

4. Pguyot May 16, 2022

I should add I’d like to be able to wear it occasionally.

5. Olhenry56 May 16, 2022

Importing complete watches was more expensive than importing just the movement and then installing the movement in an American made case. I think it was taxed as jewelry when it was in the case. From what I've seen in the few months since I've been looking at Omegas, Wadsworth is the most common, but also Star Watch Case Company and maybe others. They're usually less valuable. Collectors typically prefer the Swiss made cases.

My Omega with a Wadsworth case has a mark on the case that says "W14K gold filled" between the 7- and 5-o-clock lugs. Maybe check there to see if yours has a similar making.

Edited May 16, 2022
    Vitezi likes this.
  6. SkunkPrince May 16, 2022

In addition, this was when watch cases made in the US had lug widths in fractions of an inch. For 5/8", 16mm fits well. For 3/4", 19mm fits well. For 11/16", 18mm rarely fits well. Straps sold as 17mm are very close to the 17.25mm that is the equivalent of 11/16", and generally fit well.

You can find new/old stock straps and bracelets that fit 11/16" on eBay; you will need to verify that the length is appropriate for your wrist and watch size. For example, what was a normal length then is too short for me and I have to buy "long".

Vitezi likes this.