Forums Latest Members

Vintage and new Moonphase Speedmasters @ King of Prussia PA Boutique

1. ctime3 Dec 24, 2016

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 24, 2016

They had these in San Diego a couple months back.

Super luminova hands? Bezels... I wonder why they do this? All the tritium hands and DON bezels they swap out, you would think they would use those for these road shows.

Do they think we don't notice?

Jwit likes this.
  3. ctime3 Dec 24, 2016

4. ctime3 Dec 24, 2016

I'm a beginner at this good eye

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  5. Riviera Paradise Dec 24, 2016

6. ctime3 Dec 24, 2016

The moon phases in person look amazing. I prefer the green bezel.

7. flw history nerd Dec 24, 2016

This exhibit was at the ΩB in Troy, Michigan just before Thanksgiving. My wife and I attended a reception at the Boutique, and immediately got caught up in conversation with a few other attendees. By the end of the evening, my wife was hungry for dinner, and we left without my being able to even look at the watches, let alone take photos. Thanks for letting me catch up!

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 24, 2016

Shoot, I've been in the neighborhood the last day and a half. That would have been a good thing to visit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

9. repoman Dec 24, 2016

I took a look at the new moon phases last week, in particular the blue and the chocolate/sedna. I was sure the blue was going to be my favorite of the available options, but I have to tell you, that chocolate/Sedna is stunning on the wrist. Pictures don't do it justice.
    moonphase_omega.jpg

10. Exarkun12 Dec 25, 2016

Wow the blue one looks amazing. Has anyone tried /seen the black one with the bracelet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Riviera Paradise Dec 25, 2016

Thx for posting... that chocolate does look yummy:)
    ...but I have to say the blue looks stunning!::love::

12. Alex_TA Dec 25, 2016

Stunning but I want it in 42mm. Please Omega do something about 9300s sizes [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited Dec 25, 2016
    Taddyangle and Riviera Paradise like this.
  13. Riviera Paradise Dec 25, 2016

Agreed @Alex_TA...but I think thickness of the overall case would be a higher priority for me... if they could get that down to speedy pro thickness I think it would improve the overall comfort of the 9300 range.

14. Josh Bear Dec 25, 2016

Love both of them. Saw the Chocolate one myself last week. Agree it is a joy to behold.

Josh

15. Riviera Paradise Dec 25, 2016

At the retail price point they are proposing for these gorgeous watches, Omega urgently need to have a strategy in place so that these do not end up in the grey market at 60% of the pricelist cost.

I naively thought that with the METAS thing they would start having more effective control over the grey market, but when you see recently launched Globemasters being offered at 37% discount on Jomashop, its seems that very little has changed. With the current slump in watch industry sales I would not be willing to bet 1$ on their capability to revert the current grey market discount levels.

If you add up all the new METAS moonphase offers as part of the package: anti-magnetic, moonphase complication, column wheel chronograph, exhibition case back, dial design/industrial finish etc...it really could compete with any other chronograph at its proposed SS price point. The issue is that I think many potential buyers will try out the watch in the OB and then patiently wait for them to turn up on the grey market online stores at 40% discount.

Omega should be investing significant resources on improving the long term value of their watches and OB perceived value, some ideas below:

Some sort of METAS VIP loyalty scheme for OB purchases, offering accumulative, controlled discounts based on the volume purchased in OBs over a given time period.

If an AD does not sell a METAS watch during a 12 month period, they should buy it back at the original discount price and not allow the AD to sell it off to the grey market. Initially sales performance would drop significantly, but retained watch value would go up over time. This should be communicated as long term investment strategy to the Swatch group shareholders. This would be a specific strategy with METAS watches, strengthening the METAS brand to mean something more than just a technological "gimmick".

Why not develop a separate brand for Omega pre-owned and vintage watches, that have been certified by Swatch group technicians? Perhaps offer a guaranteed 20-30% value repurchase for good condition, based on the METAS VIP point status of the client at time of repurchase. Why not beat the online pre-owned market at its own game, i.e. offering the same watches at a higher price point, but with all the certified advantages of buying from the original manufacturer?

Just throwing some ideas out there...those of you that have a better understanding as to how Omega operate can probably provide better insight than me...

Cheers.

Edited Dec 25, 2016
    hkrauss likes this.
  16. Ctarant Dec 25, 2016

Great topic!
    Could not agree more on the challenges Omega faces around long term value retention. I am a long-time Omega boutique customer and have enjoyed the experience greatly, but I do think that for a customer looking to buy one "nice" watch who faces a decision of paying list at the OBs or a significant discount online, the choice most often comes down to price. Omega needs to more effectively communicate the value of buying from a Boutique and have some latitude on providing a price accommodation where warranted.
    I like the idea of utilizing METAS as a true selling point/value creation tool. In terms of the grey market issue, is there anything Omega (or other brands) could do to stem the tide of selling into the grey market? I a do not have a great understanding of how new/recent watches end up on the grey market, but I wonder whether there is some work that Omega could do to track how the watches are sold into the at market and crack down or seek to buy them back.

Ctarant

17. Riviera Paradise Dec 27, 2016

Something interesting just happened. I was reading Robert-Jan's excellent Speedy Tuesday article on the CK2998-1...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/spe...aster-ck2998-1-an-absolute-grail-watch.50662/

...and then came back to this thread to check-out one more time the Speedy metas moonphase pics that @repoman kindly posted...and although I still think the watches are "stunning" I have to say that they do look a bit over the top and a bit too heavy in their design language...it might be the lighting and the close-up wrist shot...but the current modern alpha hand FOIS just looks so classy/discreet next to the new moonphase watches above...and so much more aligned with the engineering heritage of the watch.

This is not a definitive opinion of the new moonphases as I only caught a quick glimpse of a black dial SS version during the Omega House events in Rio and I am still waiting to see them live and on the wrist, but I have to agree with @Nobel Prize (as commented on another thread) that this exaggerated crossing of the sport-dress boundary that Omega is executing for their newer designs across their more traditional sport/tool ranges is becoming increasingly incoherent....

Nobel Prize likes this.
  18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 27, 2016

I which I had said it with the economy and effectiveness that you just did!!