Forums Latest Members

Vintage 30T2 under consideration.. Newbie appreciates input

1. mokka23 Jan 27, 2020

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and have been reading for a couple of days.
    First of all I would like to say that I am immensely impressed by the level of knowledge and dedication people on this forum seem to have and also the general attitude of helpfulness. Definitely rare these days!

I became interested in vintage watches a couple of months ago and am now looking to buy my first "serious" piece, a dress watch, preferably with a small seconds complication. I found the following on chrono24 (offered by a professional dealer) and would be interested to hear what people here think:

- redial or no?
    - could there have been lume (radium) on the dial at some point? I don't see any right now. I would like to avoid watches with radium in my collection.
    - general thoughts on condition?

Information I have:
    Watch is dated to 1944, 35mm case. They say it was serviced in 2019. Asking price is €1500

I appreciate your input :)
    Thank you very much

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

micampe likes this.
  2. WatchCor Jan 27, 2020

I am not an expert nor can I provide huge amounts of input on this piece.:oops:

However, to my untrained eyes it looks quite nice :D, the only thing that poked me in the eye and made seriously cringe is that photo of those uncovered fingers handling the movement.::screwloose:::whipped:

Nice first post btw. Polite and courteous and showing some effort. :thumbsup:

DaveK likes this.
  3. Dan S Jan 27, 2020

Looks fine to me, and I don't have any reason to believe it had radium. The hands look a bit too new to be original, but they could be the right hands. Frankly, the asking price is absurd, and would be too high even for a jumbo reference. I would have a hard time considering this even at 50% of the asking price.

WatchCor likes this.
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 27, 2020

Hi there, welcome to the forum- people here always appreciate a nice and courteous introduction like yours and people will probably be glad to help. It’s good that you took the time to read up, and important to learn as much as you can before you make a purchase.

edit / add- the picture loaded, doesn’t look like a redial. However when I look at the lugs I have to wonder whether they’ve been rebrushed and how much material was removed in doing so. People who know more about Omega should be able to tell you more.

WatchCor likes this.
  5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 27, 2020

Dial looks like it was maybe cleaned...the finishing of the numbers looks like it has been wiped away as well as the metallic circles of the minute track.

6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 27, 2020

7. bubba48 Jan 27, 2020

Dial original and untouched as well as the hands. Probably incorrect crown.

8. DON Jan 27, 2020

Movement looks nice. Case restored, but I think they did a good job of brushed and polished finishes.

Dial appears to be original. Steel hands can be polished. Small second looks bad

Good at 1/4 the asking price. It would have to be mint and delivered by Lady Godiva for their asking price

DON

9. mac_omega Jan 28, 2020

It will be hard to find one of these at 1/4 the asking price (serviced - which must be proven of course)

it has a nice size, and the stepped bezel is not a common feature, nice dial too...

10. bardamu Jan 28, 2020

Agree. I'd say half the asking price.
    Appears to be a nice watch, mostly original, but it doesn't have that "vintage touch" which I like very much in these objects.
    I realize that's a quite subjective matter though.

11. mokka23 Jan 28, 2020

Thanks so much everyone for your input! Really helpful.
    Now I have to make up my mind.. I will see how much the price can be negotiated.

@DaveK Thanks for the links, very good reading!

12. Maskelyne Jan 28, 2020

I think half the price is reasonable. The overall apperance is attractive. New hands, polished case, but not destroyed. And the movement looks good as seen on the picture. I really like the fine dial. Newly serviced is a big advantage (ask for documentation).

13. Candle00 Jan 29, 2020

Very nice dial

14. Waltesefalcon Jan 30, 2020

The dial looks great, though I imagine it was cleaned as that would explain the difference between the sunken second track and the rest of the dial. I'm not a fan of the brushing done on the case and like everyone else has said it is over priced.

15. Yelfel Jan 31, 2020

Love the hands and dials on this one - can't comment on originality, sure hope it is because it's a great combo.