Very Rare Omega Calibre 30DP Observatory Chronometer on the bay

He was selling a few last year, and I enquired about an Omega one, which he was asking a little over €11,000

They can be found for far less. Not cheap, mind you, but typically in the $5-7k range.

Are you referring to the spot at the red arrow?

47F3A503-B71C-449C-8FE2-F9B4ACAD230A.jpg

If so, that has nothing to do with regulating the movement. That shows (for some reason) the cap jewel on one of the wheels in the movement. These are typically done on the balance, but could also be an escape wheel.

You are correct, for some reason I have always assumed (wrongly) it had some utilitarian meaning for ease of regulation. May be because it was in the region of the balance wheel. In the Peseux 260 - Ulysse Nardin is on the balance wheel.

Screenshot 2021-07-06 at 14.48.36.png
Edited:

They can be found for far less. Not cheap, mind you, but typically in the $5-7k range.

I spotted a couple run through auctions and came to a similar conclusion... still way beyond my pocket.

I've now moved on to lusting after Marine Chronometers - apparently I only need 5 or 6 per ship. 😁

I spotted a couple run through auctions and came to a similar conclusion... still way beyond my pocket.

I've now moved on to lusting after Marine Chronometers - apparently I only need 5 or 6 per ship. 😁

Chris, you'l also need a nice deck watch for each of your fleet 😗

deck watches.jpg

It’s cool but 11k euro cool I don’t know about that, not sure what you’d really do with it other than try to make a glass case on a shelf for it or try to keep it on one of those mechanical winders as a weird desk clock maybe

Stick a dial on it and put it in a case and wear it. I've seen a number of comp movements re-cased and worn. If it can take a standard and available dial (or one on it fits a case). It can be converted

Be-ba with a Peseux 260

Kari Voutilainen with Longines 360

As a watch. Not going to run into anyone with the same due to limited numbers

DON

It’d actually be cool to get one of these to @Archer and compare it to a regular 30T2RG to see what the difference is finishing wise and how well it does all of these years later.

I didn't realize that the observatory watches did not have fine regulator adjustments.

Came across this old ad in another thread:

0EA33D2F-87BF-495D-93C7-9923DB60E504.jpeg

...and the chronometer is now sold on eBay, BTW.
Edited:

The window in the dial is simply there to be able to check and ensure concentric and correct lubrication of the balance wheel cap jewel. Improper oiling could affect performance and of course this was especially important for competition chronometers.

You are correct, for some reason I have always assumed (wrongly) it had some utilitarian meaning for ease of regulation. May be because it was in the region of the balance wheel. In the Peseux 260 - Ulysse Nardin is on the balance wheel.

Screenshot 2021-07-06 at 14.48.36.png

Maybe I’m missing something here, but wouldn’t an observatory movement have a precision regulator? This just looks like a bog standard 30 mm movement in an observatory case.

Maybe I’m missing something here, but wouldn’t an observatory movement have a precision regulator? This just looks like a bog standard 30 mm movement in an observatory case.

Any fool can tweak a regulator.

It takes true horological expertise to produce a movement that doesn't even need one.

😉

The watchmakers working on these movements would spend most of their time making tiny adjustments to the balance wheel, hairspring and regulating pins (and possibly the escapement). All of this to get the watch to run perfectly in 6 or more positions, at different amplitudes and at various temperatures. While a fine regulator can be nice to adjust the average timing of the watch, it wouldn't make their life that much easier.

Edited:

Any fool can tweak a regulator.

It takes true horological expertise to produce a movement that doesn't even need one.

😉
So I’m putting down my visegrips then...