Forums Latest Members
  1. wouter van wijk Feb 8, 2019

dear OF members,

What is the current market value of a a86 mk 1 or 2?

many thanks, wouter

Edited Feb 8, 2019
    CaptainWinsor likes this.
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 8, 2019

I have no idea, but as someone who makes their living from watches (this is you, right? https://www.wristicons.com/watches/) I would expect you to have done your research and know this...

3. wouter van wijk Feb 8, 2019

@eugeneandresson on topic, it is just to start a discussion, think prices are available if you do your thorough research ( isn't that easy cause there aren't that many that change owners), but are also going trough the roof. It is a fact that good A386's are really rare, but it is really interesting to see that they've gone sky high the last couple of years. I heard recently 25k for a mint condition MK1 and 16-18k for a good example M1-2. That a big price increase compared to 3 years before.

@eugeneandresson in reply to your remark, in all honesty and with good intentions, perhaps naive, but I don't get it completely when peopIe tend to get a bit offensive on forums with dealers or people who make a living out of watches, we share the same passion. Passion is the reason why I quit my job, wrote a business plan, took a big risk while raising 2 young kinds and started doing what iI really like. I understand this kind of sentiment when they are the bad guys who dump Frankenwatches etc. but if a dealer tries to contribute and be honest? Is it because of the earlier scamming dealers which hung around at OF and on other forums? I am not that long active, I joined in 2015 but I started posting more recently, so i am just asking.

4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 8, 2019

There was nothing offensive or negative about my remark, nor disdainful towards dealers. For the record : I have got nothing against dealers and really like and respect the ones I know (who have crazy knowledge about watches...).

https://omegaforums.net/threads/value-on-a386.89528/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/deal-or-no-deal-on-a-2998-61.85868/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/white-or-black-ranchero.88982/

Its just when people are too lazy to do their homework, would rather use this forum as a source of knowledge to value certain pieces, then later try profit from that, potentially off of the same members of the forum they received enlightenment from, that I (and I am certain most here) have a bit of a problem. And again, I am not saying this is what you are doing, however, when I look at your threads, and I look at your inventory, and I know that you are a dealer, then things seem a bit murky...

5. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 8, 2019

Couldn't say it better :thumbsup:

Than he's more than welcome. There are several people who tick both boxes and are honorable and respected members here. :)

Lonestar, sdre, KstateSkier and 4 others like this.
  6. wouter van wijk Feb 8, 2019

I understand and respect your point of view. I also will try harder to make some better posts that contribute even more to the OF.
    But consider this. The most seasoned collector also buys and sells to improve his collection and I guess he won’t sell his watches without trying to make some money. He will try to make a profit too that he will use for an upgrade;-)
    If you think it’s murky, that I want to discuss things and learn and appreciate opinions from other OF members, so be it. I love my OMEGA’s that’s the number one reason that I joined this forum more than 3 years ago before I decided to become a watch dealer. Currently I am 365-247 watches and I forkin love it! All the best, Wouter

7. DHKNOLA Feb 8, 2019

Hi Wouter, being an a386 owner, I try to keep up with this as well and you are correct that they do not seem to change hands with the frequency of other watches to really find a pattern or 'normal market price'.
    There is one well known a386 with a nona386 caseback and no bracelet that seems to be making the rounds for 6-7k on ebay. The one I am talking about has been on this forum and I believe originated from Matt Bain.
    I recently inquired to Analog shift as they have a minty w box a386 and they are asking 28k (which makes me think there is wiggle room, just how much). Not sure if they have since sold it, but I feel like that is just about the highest end.
    Because of how 'hot' the watch is and as you noted its marked increase in three years, I just want to hold mine as it seems the demand increases and the supply is quite limited.

wouter van wijk likes this.
  8. wouter van wijk Feb 8, 2019

@DHKNOLA you should! I followed that discussion too. People tend to hold these ones nowadays since they acknowledge that these pieces are one of the true icons of watchmaking history and rare. I don't remember exactly 2500-4500 pieces in total and the MK 1 being really rare. Difficult to check the price differentiation between MK 1, 2 and 3 btw since these babies don't get sold that much. I also think in contrary to for instance the Daytonas from that era, these Zenith were more used and abused since they weren't as expensive as the Daytona. Would be nice to check the list price from those days in comparison to verify my thoughts. Daytona for instance costed $386 in 1973, would love to know the list price of the A386 from that era. But anyways, Zenith of course have been less in fashion than Rolex during this 50 year periode. So there are relatively fewer watches that survived in pristine condition.
    @DHKNOLA pictures! wrist-shot please!

9. Janne2000 Feb 10, 2019

I just bought mine a few weeks ago. Mint Mark2..
    Of course there is a big difference between a mint watch and a beater, no doubt about that. Concidering the rarity of these and how many of them that still are morre or less unused, like mine, makes the watch so good value for the money I spent on it. And if I understand you, you think the highest price you named was extremly expensive?

69134466-7D75-4611-B34E-A7691E6AA730.jpeg
  10. Janne2000 Feb 10, 2019

Compare it to a mint UG Nina that cost 30’euro and I think the A386 is not just a lot moore beautiful, its also moore value for the money:)

11. Janne2000 Feb 10, 2019

I will never sell mine for sure. Its a keeper for my son to get when he gets older. And hopefully he will past it on to his son..:)
    59DE1258-4C46-4B70-99A5-B3EE847FA800.jpeg

12. wouter van wijk Feb 10, 2019

@Janne2000 big congratulations! I think compared to similar iconic timepieces like speedmasters Daytona’s Autavia the A386 has big potential to go up in value even more. Perhaps within 5 years time we laugh at 25k. Still a lot of money, don’t get me wrong.

Janne2000 likes this.
  13. Janne2000 Feb 10, 2019

Who knows but all I can say is that a year ago we looked at really nice watches and thought that there is no way they can be moore expensive..
    But I think that there will be a bigger distance between beaters and mint watches and rightfully so. I also consider that even if the price was high, not saying how high, its still moore value for the money compared to other expensive chronos in the same condition. And I do love the history behind the A386, its not just a besutiful watch:)

14. Janne2000 Feb 10, 2019

And look at Christies for exapmle. They sold a mint one with box for a way higher price than you wrote. And that was over a year ago..

15. Janne2000 Feb 10, 2019

16. Dan S Feb 10, 2019

This thread would be better if we discussed specific example, IMO. For example, I am rarely convinced that the sweep hand is totally original, even in examples claimed to be "mint".

17. Janne2000 Feb 10, 2019

I totally agree and like I wrote, there is a big difference between a mint snd a beater:)

18. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Feb 11, 2019

I bought my Mk2 A386 at a public auction, so if anyone here goes to Bukowski's last sale and looks it up (https://www.bukowskis.com/en/auctions/610/lots), you'll know exactly what I paid for it. And I can tell you that I would have kept going ~10% higher for it. I have no clue if it's "market" or not, but I had always wanted an A386 because of its significance to the watch world and its totally unique design that has persisted throughout the decades. There was a quote in the Michael Weisberg episode of Hodinkee Radio that I loved - "right artist, wrong piece" is the mistake that many people in the hobby persistently make. Well, the A386 is "right artist, right piece."
    11-7-18-1.jpg 11-7-18-3.jpg 11-7-18-5.jpg

19. about3blank Feb 11, 2019

PSA: That analog/shift one is the same as this watch. They disclosed the case has been refinished. What you'll see here is the extent of the refinish. Can't call it minty at that point: https://omegaforums.net/threads/mk1-a386-comments.68189/

20. DHKNOLA Feb 12, 2019

I stand corrected! Kind of a bummer somewhat put a refinish on the above watch. I prefer the cases to show age over this re-done nonsense. Makes me example more because it may not be perfect, but it is honest.