Forums Latest Members

Using Alum to remove a balance staff

1. sheepdoll Feb 7, 2023

Rather than continue the thread drift on the other thread, I would like to continue this here.

It worked.
    IMG_3820.png

I let this soak overnight. When I checked it after working on the 351 most of the day, I found the staff came out loose before completly disolving.

Given all the scrapes and dings on the balance arm, I think the staff has been replaced before. I do not really have a hairspring for this balance, which I think is from one of the Landeron assortments. Well the spring is in three peices, as I practiced on it before I got the new tweezers. (which was why I got the new tweezers.)

I did manage to misplace the roller as it popped off. (Did find the missing 351 yoke spring looking for it.) I suspect that will turn up when I least expect it.

Some of what I thought might be discoloration was probably the solution removing the gunk from the balance, which now looks much cleaner than before. I am thinking some pegwood might help to remove more of the caked on gunk.

It is always nice when things work as expected.

Jorque, Vitezi, Archer and 2 others like this.
  2. RevZMan123 Feb 7, 2023

I bought some Alum in the grocery store just the other day. My wife was asking, why the heck do you need that? I said I never know when I might need to dissolve a tiny screw giving me a big fit.

3. Jorque Feb 13, 2023

Nice !
    I've used this trick on snapped stems stuck in watch crowns before but have never seen it done with a balance staff. Good to know.