Forums Latest Members
  1. Hamish02 Nov 15, 2018

Hi guys, I’m just querying more than anything and your knowledge would be much appreciated.

I’m very inexperienced with watches, only what I’ve read on the internet and chatted with a mate about... clumsily I dropped my watch and, according to my watch-mender, have broken the balance staff. He explained to me that he would rather replace the whole balance as it is easier than the staff on its own. From what I gather, a balance would be quite expensive, given I’d probably have to fine a donor. My question(s) is... is replacing the staff particularly difficult for someone else to do? Are they easier to source? and would it be a much cheaper job than replacing the whole balance?

I should probably just trust my watch-maker but thought I’d enquire anyway just out of interest. I have a picture of the watch before it broke so might not be too much use! Thank you anyway in advance.

531CCB09-ECA7-4A8C-BC62-4CE37E99A13E.jpeg A9638DED-8905-48F0-9F91-0DC2BCDC323F.jpeg 95577CAE-DD68-4DF5-810E-22948C52ADC8.jpeg

549A71C0-5F9F-47B8-A616-2FFF4752B848.jpeg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 15, 2018

My question(s) is... is replacing the staff particularly difficult for someone else to do? Are they easier to source? and would it be a much cheaper job than replacing the whole balance?

No

Yes

Yes, considering the cost of a complete balance.

Find a new watchmaker.

felsby, Hamish02 and noelekal like this.
  3. Rochete Nov 15, 2018

You do well asking. Any qualified watchmaker, and even some dedicated amateur ones, can replace a balance shaft.

watchyouwant, Hamish02 and noelekal like this.
  4. Canuck Nov 15, 2018

DO NOT use a watchmaker who makes a suggestion like that! If the hairspring is good, and the roller table is there, have the wheel re-staffed. Easier to replace the balance complete? If a “watchmaker” made a suggestion like that, it is because he doesn’t have the tools, the training, or the experience to do what is really not a difficult job. But DO NOT try it yourself!

SpeedTar, Hamish02 and noelekal like this.
  5. Hamish02 Nov 15, 2018

Oh god no, I can just about take the movement out! That’s as far as I’m going.

Thank you very much everybody for the advice, much appreciated. I did ask him earlier which part of the balance was broken and he said it was the staff, it’s always the staff, so I assume the rest of it is okay. I will pick the watch up from him and find someone else in the area.

6. Hamish02 Nov 15, 2018

Also what would be a ballpark cost to expect for the job, just so I know what region to expect when I ask someone to have a look at it? Cheers.

7. Canuck Nov 15, 2018

Ballpark? You are unlikely to find anyone who will go out on a limb and quote a price, without seeing the watch, first. Prices wil vary greatly based on the total condition of the watch, and where you live.

Larry S and Hamish02 like this.
  8. Hamish02 Nov 15, 2018

That’s fair. No problem.

9. SpeedTar Nov 16, 2018

Exactly! That is a job that any watchmaker should do. It is not a difficult operation but requires a minimum of tools and skills that any watchmaker shoud have.
    Replacing a complete balance is recommended when the staff is not availlable for example (I replaced recently a complet balance for a Piaget 9P1 because unable to source a balance staff => but I kept the used balance because the other parts are in perfect condition and reusable).
    I believe that the watchmaker offered you the easiest way for him (I do not judge him or whatever).

Hamish02 likes this.
  10. Hamish02 Nov 16, 2018

Yes I agree, he explained that to replace the staff itself would be too fiddly for him. Which is fair.

I've spoken to a few people online and one guy directed me to this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-ba...f250a4d89:m:m6nSLJQOI1wYOPZIR75HVSw:rk:2:pf:0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I am by no means qualified enough to start buying my own parts to take to a watchmaker, and I assume they could just source parts themselves - I'm just struggling to find somewhere in the area. Here's a long shot but does anyone have any recommendations for anyone in the Cambridgeshire, UK area?

11. Canuck Nov 16, 2018

I don’tknow about in your area, but these folks are frequently recommended on the MB.

http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com/

I have no connection whatever with them. It may mean mailing your watch, but that situation arises frequently in the world of antique watches.

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 16, 2018

Swiss times services as well.

13. Hamish02 Nov 16, 2018

Thank you very much all. Its great that you have the time and interest to help out amateurs like myself. Much appreciated.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 16, 2018

The watchmaker should source the staff - that's simply not your job to do. He/she will know the differences between staffs...things like Incabloc or not are critical to getting the correct staff for the watch, as not all of these watches are the same.

Changing a staff is a pretty straightforward job for any competent watchmaker. If it came down to making a staff v buying a balance complete, then I would likely suggest the new balance is the way to go, because getting a staff made won't be cheap if the watchmaker is really charging for his time properly.

BTW for most modern watches you really don't have a choice but to replace the balance in many cases - Omega does not sell balance staffs as separate parts any longer, so if you have a broken staff on a modern watch, a new balance is really the only economical way to go.

Cheers, Al

Hamish02 likes this.