Forums Latest Members
  1. Tone27 May 8, 2020

Hi All, After listening to your advice regarding a new speedy, verses a used one, I have been looking around and have a couple more questions please, is it ok to buy off the internet from someone like Chrono 24? And more importantly how do I know its not a fake?
    As you can tell I’m new to “real” watches.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 8, 2020

As was said in one of your other threads, buy the seller. Hint: check out the Private watch sales forum or Watch Sales (dealer) forum, here.

dan7800 likes this.
  3. jsducote May 8, 2020

Assuming you care, and not everyone does but we won't get into a values debate, then you're either going to have to pay a premium for assurance that it's 100% authentic/correct or you're going to have to learn what to look for yourself.
    Get it Quick - Inexpensive - 100% Authentic/Correct, pick 2.

Edited May 8, 2020
  4. vbrad26 May 8, 2020

Pretty easy to spot a "fake" Speedy so I don't think you have much to worry about.
    However if you don't know exactly what you are looking at you could run into a watch that was put together, or a "frankenwatch".

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. rootbeer7 May 9, 2020

I’ve used chrono24 successfully a couple of times by locating a watch and then contacting dealer directly. That way you can establish if they’re likely to be trusted. I have also bought privately through there as well but only when I had a little more experience.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 9, 2020

If your looking for a used one cheaper than a new one and your not savvy in what to look for it can end up costing you more. If I had a choice of buying off Chrono24 or a AD or Jomashop. Chrono24 would be 3 on my list.

If a 5 year old Speedmaster is $700 cheaper than a new one. They are actually the same price as the 5 year old one is due a service.

But if your after a tritium one, you have to do your homework first.

7. Tone27 May 9, 2020

Thanks guys, sorry if I’ve gone over the same thing! It’s just that I defo know that I want a Speedmaster, and I really like the display back, and I’ve read quite a bit about the movements, so I think why not get a new one with the cal1863. Then I read, watch u tube and think, actually it would be nice to have one with the Hesalite crystal and the 345.0808 was made over a long period, looking at the ones for sale I think, you are paying probably more for an older watch, no prob I can see why, but some have been around for 40 years, won’t they be worn out, and then you have to have them serviced!! You see that I’m going slightly mad here!
    Thanks for letting me tell you my thoughts.
    Cheers Tony.

8. river rat May 9, 2020

When ever the world gets back to normal. You mite try a NAWCC regional if your in the states. Were members of the NAWCC sells there watches and lectures on watches. Were I got a vintage 1972 speedmaster about 9-10 years ago think I paid 1400 for it. Think new ones at the time was over 2000 or more so I did ok. The prices have went up since then but with so many sellers deals can be found at a NAWCC regional. Did buy a used vintage omega MK II speedmaster same movement but larger case that bugged me off eBay since there cheaper and still are today anther route to go I sold it after I got the smaller speedy at the NAWCC regional. Just remember used ones mite need a service had mine serviced and mainspring replaced right after I bought it. So figure that into the cost of a used one.