Forums Latest Members

UPS just pulled a no brainer

1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 30, 2019

They left what was a clearly designated signature required package on my doorstep. Thank goodness I was home. Expensive camera body and lens. Doorbell rang, guy was climbing back into truck when I answered.

Just another example of why you cannot trust them.

2. Evitzee Sep 30, 2019

I'd say about 95% of stuff I get that requires a signature is properly delivered, usually something watch, audio or alcohol related. In fact the last four or five deliveries made by FedEx the driver had me sign and then verbally give my last name before handing over the package. Maybe they have had issues of people signing for goods that weren't the intended individual. Overall, though, the signing system seems to work. But there are always exceptions to the rule. Fortunately, where I live there is absolutely no theft going on and my front door can't be seen from my cul-de-sac, but folks living on busier streets run a lot more risk. Call up, or email, UPS and complain, perhaps they will address the situation to their drivers.

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 30, 2019

FedEx is the way to go.

4. Dan S Sep 30, 2019

It seems like this would be red-flagged automatically by their systems after the fact, unless the driver scrawls a signature. It would be interesting to pull up the tracking info and see if a signature is entered.

kkt likes this.
  5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 30, 2019

Please track through the UPS website. It will tell you if a signature is required. UPS charges extra for a signature. A lot of shippers put a signature required sticker on packages in an attempt to avoid fees. The signature required is encoded into the barcode and does not require a “signature required” sticker

6. Evitzee Sep 30, 2019

When the Omega boutique in St Louis shipped my Apollo 11 to me last month via overnight FedEx I signed for it, and then about 30 minutes later the boutique called asking if I had received it. The name entered as the signee into the FedEx system was not my last name, so they were monitoring the delivery and were concerned it had gone astray. I don't know how the FedEx system works, does the driver enter the signee's name into the system or is there some sort of auto-read that tries to decipher the signature? I don't think it is a perfect system, short of looking at someone's ID (driver license or passport) it would seem anyone can scrawl a name on the portable reader and get the package.

7. Evitzee Sep 30, 2019

I just got a watch last week in a trade situation via overnight FedEx and on the label it said "Priority Overnight ASR"......ASR means Adult Signature Required. Inside the box was a return label that I used to return the trade in watch and it also had the ASR code. When I printed out the tracking information for my files they did indicate that an Adult Signature was required. So the shipper had paid for the service, I suppose other people would try to save on fees but it would seem a small price to pay if you are shipping a $6,000 or more watch, and wouldn't their insurance coverage require an adult signature? I would think so.

DomB likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 30, 2019

Nope ... even the UPS app said signature required.

9. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 30, 2019

Unless you ship thousands of items a day like an east coast camera store. $2.50 x1000 is a lot of money.

10. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 30, 2019

Then let UPS know.

11. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 30, 2019

Or track it, sometimes UPS will have neighbor sign and the neighbor will leave it.

12. larryganz The cable guy Sep 30, 2019

This is one reason that I have a UPS store mailbox for all my deliveries to be signed for (it's my CC billing address). I got the mail box in 1999 when it was still owned by Mailboxes Etc, so patients could send medical records requests after I closed my medical practice, but it's come in handy for much more.

13. larryganz The cable guy Sep 30, 2019

Except he said that he was home and saw the driver get back on the truck after ringing the doorbell.

14. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 30, 2019

Neighbors ask UPS drivers to leave the package at their neghbors house even after they have signed for it. All the time. Playing devils advocate here.

15. Evitzee Sep 30, 2019

I've bought and traded with a west coast dealer a few times and every time we do a trade and I have to send my trade-in watch to him he provides the label with the proviso that it is NOT acceptable with his insurance carrier to drop the parcel off at the many drop-off shipping outlets, some of which do not have scanning ability upon drop-off. I have to call the carrier to route a driver to my home to pick it up. Evidently they don't like these expensive parcels hanging around these places which are not company owned waiting for the late afternoon vans to come buy to pick up the day's boxes. They must have had prior losses before they get into the official tracking system. There are lots of wrinkles into the high value shipping of items.

16. Martin_J_N Sep 30, 2019

Just to add my 10 cents worth.

Never been a fan of UPS due to issues with previous deliveries and try to avoid where possible.

So we have ordered some glassware off the internet, not watch prices but reasonably expensive.

Get confirmation of goods being dispatched and the delivery is being made by UPS (groan), delivery window 13:00 - 15:00, it had to be signed for and I was at home so it shouldn't be a problem, should it?

The delivery window came and went then I received a text message advising that parcel was 'delivered 14:22' ???? A check on their website stated parcel delivered to box, what box we don't have a box?

Eventually established that 'Box' meant that the parcel had been taken to a drop off point where I could go and collect it from, which I had to do as UPS couldn't state when they would re-deliver. What frustrated me was that I was in all day and at 14:22 was in the front garden mowing the lawn and no UPS driver turned up, so what happened, well three months later I am still awaiting a response to my complaint.

Useless
    Pathetic
    Service

Thats my view of UPS

kkt, Larry S and larryganz like this.
  17. oinkitt Sep 30, 2019

I've has this happen a number of times.... especially with eBays global shipping service!!

18. Walrus Sep 30, 2019

Someone sent us a gift of cheese and wine via ups. I had no idea it was coming. I was home that day had my garage door open they didn’t bother coming to the front door just put the perishable package in my garage obscured by a ladder and tractor. Found it a few days later. I guess the guy didn’t want to walk the extra 15 feet to the door

19. Muddlerminnow Sep 30, 2019

Count yourself lucky he or she even bothered to ring. Last week I received an e-notice that three Eames management chairs had been delivered--I live in a 30 unit condo. No chairs at the main entrance. No chairs in the lobby. No chairs in the mailroom. A neighbor later found them in the alleyway behind our building--neatly arranged where the Fed Ex guy had left them. Too much trouble to ring the bell I guess?

20. Evitzee Sep 30, 2019

I've had more issues with the US Postal Service then UPS or FedEx. I've had several 'delivered' notifications yet the items don't actually show up until the next day. I try to avoid using these losers if I can, sometimes you can't avoid them. I think service level varies around the country, I can't complain overall, I'm satisfied. But I think delivery in some areas, particularly larger cities, can be iffy, and you have a lot more chance for theft than those of us in more rural areas.