Forums Latest Members

A pusher of my DSOTM just fell off... both can be pulled out easily...Don't think this is normal

1. karalhoin Jul 15, 2017

Well, I was playing with the cat and just heard a sound of something falling... and it was a pusher of the DSOTM. He kinda got his claw in it and pulled it out.

I then realized I could just pull the other one out with very low force, there's almost no resistance. They are both this way and don't really screw in.

I can see some metal on the inside too, so no doubt this means the movement is probably vulnerable to moisture.

I've had the watch for a year and a half now and am super careful with it, it's immaculate except for some dust. I don't really use the chrono, and don't recall ever trying to pull the pushers, so I suspect they've been this way since I bought the watch [new]. But the way they are, eventually I'll lose them.

Here are a few photos. Nothing seems broken, both pushers look exactly the same, but I don't really know enough about it to be sure. Can anyone comment if this is normal with the DSOTM?

Should I head to a shop? Watch was bought from another country, but the shop is an AD and I have the warranty card stamped.

Thanks

20170715_160707.jpg
    20170715_160611.jpg
    20170715_153656.jpg 20170715_153726.jpg 20170715_153800.jpg

Edited Jul 15, 2017
  2. Dufresne Jul 15, 2017

Are you really struggling with this decision? Why wouldn't you send this back under warranty?!!?

3. karalhoin Jul 15, 2017

To be honest I don't have many watches and I'm not totally sure of how it should be. All the info I saw on pushers is for watches that have it fully in metal pieces (regular Speedmasters, etc), and the others I have are that way, So I'm wondering how it works in the DSOTM.

Being this loose doesn't make sense to me, but they both look exactly the same and nothing seems broken. Just trying to figure out what's wrong so I can explain it to support.

4. Dufresne Jul 15, 2017

What's wrong is that the entire pusher mechanism can be pulled out with minimal effort. I don't profess to be a watchmaker, but this shouldn't be happening. It is broken. If I were you I'd stop wearing it and get it in for service.

5. pianomankd Jul 15, 2017

HHAHAHA why is this even a thread? You have the warranty and the watch is faulty. Send it back.

/thread

Fritz, River and watchknut like this.
  6. zinzan8 Jul 15, 2017

Well, I think this is a thread because the OP doesn't know if the watch is faulty, so he's running it by the friendly folks on this forum. Heck, I assume the pushers on my "CK2998" won't easily* pull out, but I've never tried, and I don't plan on trying.

*And, of course, "easily" is a subjective term.

Simmy, SpeedyPhill, Pikeman and 6 others like this.
  7. karalhoin Jul 15, 2017

Yes, I wouldn't expect it to pop out with minimal effort. But I've never tried it on any xSOTM.

That is the case. I thought something would be broken, but I never tried to pull the pusher out. And when I pulled the second one, it looked exactly the same. They do look fine to me, nothing broken, it's as if they were assembled this way, but almost zero resistance wouldn't make sense.

So indeed, I wasn't asking for help fixing it, I was asking for help understanding how it works (and if it even needs fixing).

Just wanted to confirm it's not a "That's the way it is!" (as all the photos I saw of Speedmaster pushers were very different... and all from stainless steel models, that don't have ceramic pushers). Plus it feels idiotic I never noticed this in 1.5 years, but well.. didn't need to pull them out.

Anyway, I emailed Omega. I'll accept my cluelessness then. Calm down everyone...

edit: @Archer , I suppose you've seen these disassembled. Does it look [ab]normal to you?

Edited Jul 15, 2017
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 15, 2017

These should not just pull out. You need to send it in for warranty repairs.

Cheers, Al

9. themarshmall0w Jul 15, 2017

There is actually a clip that looks very similar to the "w" shaped clip that holds the whole pusher in place. Those 2 clips are probably floating around in the movement and it will need a full service.

karalhoin likes this.
  10. karalhoin Jul 15, 2017

Interesting. Out of curiosity, do you think that might be some mistake at factory during assembly?

I'm just wondering if they were always like that. I think I might have pressed them half a dozen times since I bought it a year and a half ago. Puzzled at how anything could have broken. Mental note for the next watch, use the chrono and pull the pushers. :p

Thanks Al, I emailed support. Guess testing customer service is also part of the hobby.

11. KJH666 Jul 15, 2017

I agree with others, straight back to the dealer and have it sorted under warranty.

12. themarshmall0w Jul 16, 2017

I wouldn't blame it solely on the factory. Light shock or just the right amount of shock at the right time could have knocked one or more of them loose. Using the chronograph function frequently or infrequently should not cause the pusher clips to fall off. That clip was made to hold the pusher in place and not clawed off away from the case from a cat. I wouldn't be surprised if they remove the clip and find a nice bend right in the middle of the clip from when it folded on itself. Even if the pusher clips were to fall off, your watch would have still been sealed. There is only a hole drilled into the ceramic with that single gasket around the pusher keeping the moisture out.

karalhoin likes this.
  13. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 16, 2017

FWIW, I would have done exactly what you did if this happened to my Speedmaster, i.e. check in with the experts on this forum. I'm sure it will all get sorted when it is sent in for service under the warranty.

Pikeman and karalhoin like this.
  14. karalhoin Jul 16, 2017

Fully agree. What surprised me was not that one pusher was "clawed out", as you put it. What surprised me was when I gently pulled the second myself and it slided out. Cat didn't do anything, it was just that way already.

It's probably not a big deal, but to be honest it ruined a bit the image I had of these things being reliable. I used the chrono so infrequently in this year and a half that I didn't remember the feeling of pressing them, so it's surprising if there's something wrong that fast. If/When Omega services it, I'll be a bit weary about using them.

15. karalhoin Jul 21, 2017

Not very impressed with Omega. The site/general customer support that is.
    I got confirmation for the ticket (which had all the info) but it has been one week and zero reply.

I'm dropping by an AD tomorrow, they will have a look at it and send it to Omega if necessary.

So two loose pushers after having pressed them half a dozen times and super slow (or non-existent) reply to customer support. Hmm. Not a good sign. Also don't like the idea of having them open the watch this early, but I suppose there's no alternative.

16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 21, 2017

There is no harm in them opening it.

Are you dealing with an OB, or directly with Omega's HQ? A week doesn't seem too excessive to me, but then again it is not me nor my watch. But I would think it would be preferable to have an OB (or maybe an AD as you have indicated) open it and get a look inside before deciding if it needs to be shipped off to Omega HQ. But just make sure wherever you bring it that they are authorized by Omega to touch it under the warranty.

karalhoin likes this.
  17. karalhoin Jul 21, 2017

HQ, I believe. I merely used the "Customer Service" forms on the main corporate website. Has fields for watch model, purchase date, etc.

It is indeed an Omeda AD. I don't know if it's just licensed to sell them or also to repair. I don't see their name in the offical centers list, so just assumed it would be sent to Omega by them. They asked me to take the warranty card with me.
    Do you think they might repair it somewhere else, that being a problem if it goes wrong?

One week without any reply seemed a bit too much for me, but if that is normal with the brand, perhaps I should wait some more in alternative to going to the AD.

18. pianomankd Jul 21, 2017

Let us know what happens at the AD. I'm really curious to see what they do.

19. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 21, 2017

For a warranty item, I would be more inclined to try an Omega Boutique then an AD -- assuming an OB is in your vicinity. I am not so sure you can count on an AD to send it to Omega automatically, plus what is their incentive to help since they have to put time into it for no $? If you bought the watch from them, or are a customer of theirs in general, that helps, but I would still try to deal directly with Omega even if through an OB.

20. karalhoin Jul 21, 2017

I see. I'm not sure if they will get a fee simply for handling the warranty process (sending it to Omega or to a local service center than is authorized). Probably there is some incentive.

This is my first Omega tho, I don't recall seeing Omega Boutiques here (NL), only ADs, but will look into it.
    Googling "Omega boutique" the only relevant hit seems to be "Tourbillon Boutique". Maybe that's it? Seems to be related/owned by the Swatch Group, so it might be what you mean.

Yes, certainly.