Forums Latest Members
  1. M'Bob Oct 18, 2019

Has not been my experience, and I have neither big wrists nor arms. The shape of the case and bracelet keeps it surprisingly centered on the wrist with minimal accessory motion, despite its weight, so it wears like a much smaller watch.

2. DaveCollins Oct 18, 2019

First of all, I want to thank you for your interest and posting such a detailed descriptive explanation. Nice to know the details.

With respect to Rick Littlefield making a judgment to leave the dial and hands untouched, I agree with his position. Regardless of how careful one is, the act of removing hands on a watch from 1973 has a risk of damage to the dial and/or hands. The most important aspect of the condition of this watch are the hands and dial (to me). It is unusual to see such perfection in a vintage watch and it makes the watch feel special to me.

I agree that ideally one would want to clean and lubricate the entire movement. But our world is not ideal. I will not risk damage to the watch when it is unnecessary to do so. In the event that wearing the watch causes an internal component to go bad, then I will have the entire movement serviced. At that point, having a working watch will require the removal of the dial. Given no choice, the risk of damage will be accepted and the work will be done. That is the only situation that I would consider doing something risky like having the entire watch disassembled.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 18, 2019

If he is not confident to remove the hands without risking damage, again as I've said before it's probably better that he left it in this specific case, so in that regard I agree with him too. What I don't agree with in this specific case, is saying that the watch will be fine for decades. If you now know that's not likely the case, and choose to wear the watch as if it's all good, again that's your choice.

But I am really trying to get to the heart of the matter, and that is that there is always risk, but there are ways to reduce risk to the point where it is negligible if you know what you are doing, and avoid damage completely. I often work on Speedmasters and other watches that are very valuable, some with single hands that sell for many thousands of dollars (just for one hand) and using the techniques I've outlined here, the issue is simply not significant.

Trust me there are watches that cross my bench (including some of my own) where the dial and hands are just as pristine as those on your watch, and they are no less pristine after the service is done...

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

4. DaveCollins Oct 18, 2019

You make a strong case for your position. At this point, I'll keep it in mind. I do plan to wear my watch on occasion and if problems arise, who knows, maybe I'll be contacting you.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 18, 2019

Although I appreciate the sentiment, I'm not trying to make this about me. In fact the opposite - being able to remove hands and a dial without damaging it is a pretty fundamental set of skills that any competent watchmaker should possess. Watchmakers all over the world do it every day without issue. You would not last long as a professional if you were damaging dials and hands on a regular basis.

As I said, you can't eliminate all risk. But if someone who does this understands the techniques and tools used to mitigate risk, and is methodical making it their routine on every watch, no matter if it's worth $50, $500, $5000, or $50,000 then it's not a daunting task when a watch that is very pristine, rare, or valuable comes across the bench.

Cheers, Al