Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. Masterofkarate Nov 12, 2019

For me it was that I just lost some auctions at the Bukowski auction and felt for a win and a new watch. I dont currently own any UG chronos and at the price point I was bidding on, I thought this would be a good entry:)

2. Masterofkarate Nov 12, 2019

Are there any dibs on this?:D

ELV web likes this.
  3. bgrisso Nov 12, 2019

I wouldn't start your UG chrono collection with a redial. Not sure your price point but I think better to wait, and spend a bit more, than not....

4. Masterofkarate Nov 13, 2019

Thought on this one?https://www.ebay.com/itm/143433472198Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    As I am trying to aquire my yellow belt in here, I guess in my assement; No momement shot=bad, right-bottom lug has been resculpted on there? Chrono sweeper is not right? Can this be a sweeper from one of the bezled tri compaxes? We see some of those have a red sweeper, and the shape is right(maybe a service aquirement?). Other than that I cant find anything wrong to indicate the low pricepoint on this. By far the lowest tri I have seen on the bay.

s-l1600 (5).jpg
    Larry S and filmir like this.
  5. martinc Nov 13, 2019

Yes, I see exactly the same points.
    The welded lug "masked" by the thread of the strap is really funny. Getting it right is not an easy task in my opinion (nearly impossible to be done without any visible signs on the case).
    Not showing the movement can mean trouble of pretty much any sort.
    The chrono sweep is not original.
    And the dial is not of the best preserved, to be honest.

filmir likes this.
  6. Masterofkarate Nov 13, 2019

Haha, yes this indeed funny! "Lets just put this thread casually over there":D
    But the audacity to call this a mint case bothers me.

martinc likes this.
  7. martinc Nov 13, 2019

Not on eBay and already gone... to anyone here on OF?
    https://www.easyliveauction.com/cat...fine-jewellery-silver-watches-clocks-lot-355/
    I was just a little slow to send in the final bid. :mad:
    These Dato-Compaxes just keep elluding me... :(

Btw. the existence of this watch proves that 37mm Dato-Compaxes ref. 22530 were made also later than in the first two production years as someone has argued in a thread here on the Forum.

slique12 and Masterofkarate like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 13, 2019

good assesment

9. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Nov 14, 2019

I liked it too but could not find another with “swiss made” markings. It scared me. Should it be marked “swiss made”?

10. ELV web Nov 14, 2019

It is a redial.

11. ejj Nov 15, 2019

Does the Compur 30 on the eBay belong to one of us here?

12. bgrisso Nov 15, 2019

yes its my listing

Masterofkarate and rosspo like this.
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 15, 2019

Buy with confidence.

Woops likes this.
  14. bgrisso Nov 15, 2019

or offer me $1500 for a quick sale, like the rest of Ebayers :rolleyes:

vujen, Larry S and rosspo like this.
  15. ejj Nov 15, 2019

Ha. Sometimes eBay is akin to watching The Office.

16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 15, 2019

I dread becoming a net seller.

rolokr likes this.
  17. Masterofkarate Nov 15, 2019

Well, that went south real quick! I stayed up for this one to no prevail. Congrats!

18. ejj Nov 16, 2019

I was a bidder. I really liked the watch, but I had no real idea where it would end up. I probably should have gone a bit more, but I’m still trying to find my range in vintage chronographs. The buyer got a super cool watch at a good price.

Masterofkarate likes this.
  19. bgrisso Nov 16, 2019

It was a poor result, not helped by the fact that the way I set the auction did not allow any international bidding. Most people waited to bid until the last minute, and realized they couldn't, and in the flurry of last minute emails, it was too late for me to change the parameters of the auction (in the final 12 hours).

What's silly is I did this once before a year or two ago, and forgot. With that one, I actually just ended the auction early and restarted it, using the Global Shipping Program to allow for all geographic locations bidding. That auction achieved a great price, and then the seller refused to pay because of the massive fees added by Ebay's Global Shipping Program. So my frustration with the Global Shipping Program stuck in my head, but I forgot that the bidding had gone very poorly with only domestic USA bidding allowed. What I should have done on this current auction was to allow international bidding, but NOT use the Global Shipping Program.

Anyhow I've been selling on Ebay for almost 20 years and I've never canceled a completed auction, but I was about to on this one. Just couldn't let the watch go for peanuts after what I paid for it. Turns out the buyer was not happy that Ebay was adding sales tax now, and wouldn't pay it on top of the final price. I've never been happier to not get paid ;), lets me off the hook.

20. Masterofkarate Nov 17, 2019

Glad it worked out in your favor this time:)
    The global shipment program has screwed me over once. Now I at least know what it means. And luckily I have some family in the states for auctions restricted to US only. But the state sale tax has become a bother.
    When listing an auction with the global shipment program are you locked into it for international buyers? Or can the buyer after winning, request to not use it? What are the upsides of the program from the seller's perspective?

filmir likes this.