Forums Latest Members
  1. ikanbilisclub Feb 3, 2021

Hi all!

I'm J. Fairly new to this forum but have been trawling through the collective wisdom and knowledge of many members for a bit. Like many before I've been bitten by the vintage chrono bug and have started pottering around the minefield that are UGs.

Bought Sala's online version but still waiting for a reply email for access to it so dont have it to reference on hand.

Wanted to ask for advice re a unicompax that has come up for sale.
    Pardon my utter and complete noobness/inappropriate descriptions as I take a stab at what my eyes see.

Seller says this is a sized 37mm stainless steel cal 287.

From what i can tell the dial and subdials seem to be original.
    Case looks polished?
    Havent really come across a similar looking dial except on one other unicompax on IG.
    The H/M leaf hands ‐ are they appropriate for this reference? They dont seem to match the colour of the hour indices.
    The arrow seconds hands also don't have the usual tail that i see on other unicompaxes.
    I can only really make out the caseback reference 32416 but not the top numbers (have asked the seller for a clearer pic of this)
    He doesnt have pics of the inner caseback or movement ‐ not sure if he dares to pop open the caseback himself.
    Pricewise his asking is just under USD2k. Havent tried to negotiate.

Assessing if this a potential decent purchase or something I should stay away from. Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20210204-011035_Carousell.jpg Screenshot_20210204-010946_Carousell.jpg Screenshot_20210204-011014_Carousell.jpg

2. bgrisso Feb 3, 2021

welcome to the forum !
    The double scale dial (tachy and tele) is unusual but you see them around. Reminds me a climate proof dial. Is the serial 151XXXX, if so I think the time period can work for this dial.
    agree the H/M hands seem a bit out of place, not the style so much, but the color. Are the makers rose instead of yellow? If so then rose color leaf hands would be more appropriate? The chrono sweep hand is wrong, and hard to say, but crown looks replaced?
    be aware that chrome cases (and gold plated) seem to be avoided like the plague and are valued way under SS and solid gold, so you need to be aware of that in terms of price paid and how easy to resell down the road, but can be a nice value for entry point into UG chrono if your budget is limited.
    you will want to know service history and if all functions are working, as service costs will be a significant factor on top of purchase price. If the chrome case is in good shape (not worn through at all), maybe try to negotiate down a little, I think you are in a decent range.

aap likes this.
  3. martinc Feb 3, 2021

I suppose it’s important to stress that ref. 32416 is NOT a stainless steel case.
    Only the caseback is steel, the rest is chrome plated. This has an important impact on value, as said by @bgrisso .
    Chrono sweep definitely wrong, HM hands most probably wrong as well.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 3, 2021

Honestly, “under 2k” is a lot of cash for a watch with multiple issues. Sadly oversized UNi in SS are moving into crazy territory.

5. ikanbilisclub Feb 3, 2021

Thanks @bgrisso @martinc @Larry S for the input.

Yes, realised the 3 in the first digit indicates a chrome case. Shall steer clear of this one.

Learning a little more each day!