Forums Latest Members
  1. MRC Mar 30, 2021

There have been a few old Porsches appearing recently and I was reminded of an unexpected encounter with one.

Standing in a forest in Wales watching a stage rally, most likely the Welsh International, a Porsche pulls up where I and a couple of friends were standing. Window opens and driver says "Hello Mike, have you got any petrol?", "Hello Jeff. Sorry, we're a 30 minute walk from the car."

It was an old school friend I hadn't seen for at least 20 years.

Any other unexpected encounters to report?

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 30, 2021

Saw a fo' fo' and an SC while on a short drive to the store on Sunday. Sightings of '70s/ '80s cars have been pretty rare around here lately, with the exception of Porsche Club events. So seeing two within one minute of each other was a nice surprise.

3. SkunkPrince Mar 30, 2021

Was talking to a buddy at his workplace and he hands the phone off... turns out he was working with someone I took a college class for a couple years previously and she remembered my name or something.

This was some decades ago. :)

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2021

The reason I like them is my dad had a couple in the 70s, an SC and a 1977 Carrera 3.0. The SC is an ok car but the Carrera 3.0 is much more aggressive animal, only made for the 76/77 model years, only in Europe and only in low numbers, it had a normal Carrera body like the 2.7 before it but with a slightly less powerful 200hp engine, featuring more reliable EFI rather than MFI. It was about 10% lighter and 10% more powerful than the SC and dads was also in an uncommon colour, Ice Green Metallic.

I loved that car since being a little kid even though he sold it and lost track of it years before I was born. I grew up with 1/43 and 1/18 models of it, painted in IGM touch up paint and I memorised the chassis and engine number for searching for it once the internet came out.

It took a long time but the car he sold in 1983, turned up still in Brisbane in 2019 with some help from the Porsche club and government sources, verified the chassis and everything. It’s mint, well kept only 130,000 on it. It’s been living for the last 15 years about 2-3 streets away from where dad had it in the same suburb, and he drove past it, looking at the garage door in traffic not knowing his old Carrera was on the other side for that entire decade and a half.

The owner is hoping to pass it on to his 7 year old son one day which I’m hoping means I can but it when the son finds out I he 915 box isn’t that easy and the mother finds out how dangerous they are for a kid to drive in the year 2032.

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 30, 2021

Very cool story. I hope you have the chance to buy it in a few years. Maybe the kid won't be interest in even owning a car -- that seems to be a trend around where I live now.

Mine is earmarked for my 8 year old son. It's a G50, so quite a bit easier to shift. Will probably need to convert it to self-driving in the next 10 years in order to legally have it on the road :rolleyes:

Of course it it shoots up to $100k USD in value, then I will sell it, buy him a $20k used Cayman instead, give him $25k to pay a handful of years worth of insurance premiums, and but something else fun for myself :D