Forums Latest Members

UK members buying new in 2021 - thoughts on the 007 Seamaster ?

1. Omegafanman Apr 20, 2021

Any of the UK members buying new Omega currently.
    I am about to pull the trigger on something but have now also been offered the 210.90.42.20.01.001 007 Bond watch.
    Considering I am Brit I have never been that taken with James Bond link but it is a very nice watch - especially on the Bracelet. A discount does make it tempting..... Anyone else considering this one?

omega-seamaster-diver-300m-co-axial-master-chronometer-42-mm-21090422001001-l.jpg
  2. Bp1000 Apr 20, 2021

Yes, I love this watch but haven’t gone for it yet.

At least this one doesn’t say 007 on the dial.

i think it looks fantastic. I think you should see it as a titanium seamaster that it is and not a bond watch. So you allegiance to liking bond or not shouldn’t be a factor. It’s pricey considering the extremely good value for a 300m. But it’s unique, I think it looks very distinctive in a very good way.

What were you buying instead before this was offered?

3. Dedalus05 Apr 20, 2021

Excellent point.

Personallly I'd never wear anything that said/symbolized "British Government Property" unless I stole it. Apart from that symbol tho, I like the watch.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 20, 2021

I prefer the 300mc esp in Spectre guise and the 2500 42mm planet ocean.

Omegafanman likes this.
  5. dstfno Apr 20, 2021

Even though it looks much better in real life and wears much better than the measurements would suggest, I still think it's one of the worst Bond watches ever (bar the Seikos). Especially at that price ...

Turpinr likes this.
  6. Concretepuppy Apr 21, 2021

As much as i love Omega's watches i've never been attracted to their Bond stuff, it cheapens it for me a bit, they're good enough to stand on their own merits and don't need to attach themselves to a movie, the watch looks nice but i like what madjestikmoose said, and i feel it's trying to look vintage a bit too hard, the crow's foot on the dial is a bit unnecessary, but i suppose if they're going down the whole Bond road they need it as well,
    Bond as a character is pure fantasy and even science fiction at times, so a crow's foot on the dial is another example of that, Alec Guinness in Smiley's People was probably much more accurate as a person in the service.
    Having said that there is a clause in the Intelligence Services act they've nicknamed the "Bond Clause"
    Apparently

I'm not being political again, promise

PATRICK JP and Omegafanman like this.
  7. Omegafanman Apr 21, 2021

I am still doing a lot of research on WW2 UK pilot watches. I just got a 6B/221 to partner my 6B/159. I don't mind owning genuine ex-Government property with provenance (I bet none would turn down a flown NASA speedy :0) I know what you mean if it is a 'fake' symbol but I did not find that a deal breaker - saw it as a homage.... but a homage to a fictional character is stretching it.

ShougekiMaru likes this.
  8. Omegafanman Apr 21, 2021

I am looking at a standard 3861 - probably the steel Sapphire sandwich. That will partner my 1861 and 69 321. I guess I will need a FOIS and a Ed White at some point as well so need to watch the pennies or the home boss will sack me. On that basis I suspect the Titanium Diver will stay at the dealer (I do hear you on that point as well)... shame as I always like a discount..... Having seen some online reviews I do think it will have a market / I don't dismiss the watch - like Marmite some will love it / some not - good to see challenging designs - as you say distinctive. I have a 2254.50.00 and it is one of the most legible watches I have owned - very strong design both technically and aesthetically - hard to pull that off.

9. Defender905 Apr 21, 2021

I've always struggled with titanium watches, similar to ceramic, I find the lack of weight disconcerting and enjoy the heft of steel!

spinnaker11 likes this.
  10. bruin20 Apr 21, 2021

Try it on before you make a decision. The mesh bracelet is nearly unwearable. It crimps and folds awkwardly around your wrist and the clasp.

11. Concretepuppy Apr 21, 2021

I agree, i have a 2252.50 which is the smaller version of the 2254, and still very easy to read and wear, i think it's about 6mm narrower across than the 2254 but can't remember exactly,
    the design is the same except for the extra lume marker at the 3 o'clock position on the 2254,
    sometimes i wish i'd have bought the 2254 instead, then other times i like the compact snug profile of the 2252, plus it came with an intriguing and weird military tailored strap, which is just nails
    who would have thought 6mm could make such a difference but apparently it does, sometimes, so i'm told

Omegafanman likes this.
  12. snake.doctor Apr 24, 2021

I pulled the trigger on that one, I just loved it since its announcement. As said in an other post, the reference of the MoD arrow is not only to Bond but with the real WW2 history Omega has with the British Military. I like that reference. I know some have trouble with the mesh bracelet depending on your wrist, on mine I find it very comfortable and it suits well for many occasions.

And it looks great on different NATO straps colors as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Omegafanman Apr 25, 2021

Great photos - I have let this one go for now / I am just getting the Speedy - but I might try the Seamaster when I collect. It is a very strong in terms of design and performance.

14. Omegafanman Apr 25, 2021

I do understand that point - I was always bracelet, steel/steel by choice - but having a 9300 pair I enjoy both, and ceramic option is a go to watch now for a lot of occasions and is also my main travel watch. I have a Tissot T Touch beater which its Titanium. It is a large watch and I am happy enough with the feel/weight. I think you get used to the weight differences.

Ceramic and Steel s - Copy.jpg
    snake.doctor likes this.
  15. ShougekiMaru Apr 25, 2021

IMO: Best Seamaster there is. I’ve owned several, now this one is the only one left. As a Bond fan I appriciate the fact that mr. Craig has been part of creating this watch and this model will be the one in the latest film. On the wrist it’s amazing: silky and practical. The colours of the watch: I don’t ever think the brown as a patina; for me it’s chocolate brown colouring, with desert wibes.
    The lume is best in the business.
    If you could get discount for this future collactible, I salute you!
    I think the arrow is honouring it’s legacy. Like Snoopy on the Apollo 13 Speedys. None of the astronauts had snoopy on their Speedmasters...
    Even though I like the Snoopy-Speedy, I wouldn’t wear it because it’s like a toy watch. :p
    Grand Seiko’s Godzilla watch is a piece of Art. And AP’s Black Panther. There are plenty of great watches themed in a fictional world. I don’t see that as a problem.
    But as always: it’s a matter of personal taste. Passionate people here, that’s for sure!

D6262FE8-0088-4786-B984-1BBD552F2AC8.jpeg ED9577B4-4A51-49A4-9C80-2F6570CFE77A.jpeg 9B4B2F2B-ED42-429D-B4F5-B502A9CBF8A8.jpeg F5912F51-618A-4183-9704-2EA11EA56B9F.jpeg
  16. Omegafanman Apr 25, 2021

Good points - and thinking about it I nearly bought a re-issue Seiko Giugiaro …. and last time I checked we did not have any real Aliens yet :0)

Edited Apr 25, 2021
    ShougekiMaru likes this.
  17. Omegafanman May 15, 2021

So I pulled the trigger on a new Speedy this week (will post that up at some point). The AD still had the Titanium Diver and I have to say it is a superb watch. Very light as well of course. The Milanese bracelet looks stunning and the clasp was not too large. I am not sure about the bevelled helium release crown but I have never used that feature on my 2254.50.00 anyway. Happy with my choice but still very drawn to this watch.

IMG_2761 - Copy.PNG Strap - Copy.jpg Box - Copy.jpg
    Duracuir1 and PATRICK JP like this.
  18. cap1 May 15, 2021

Nice!

19. PATRICK JP Jul 17, 2022

Beautiful watch. I have one and I love it.

Omegafanman likes this.
  20. Maccaloon Jul 18, 2022

I think it's a lovely watch. Just too expensive for me.