Forums Latest Members
  1. Nunny Mar 6, 2018

Thinking about buying an Omega from a duty free store on the way to the UK at Abu Dhabi airport.

My thoughts were that maybe, if the price was right, I would simply insist on paying the 5% duty on top.

I don't fully understand the law with regards to this: if I have paid duty in the country where I bought the item, am I subject to duty for that item on arrival?
    Or is it only when I have bought the item duty free that i am subject to duty?

Also, has anyone got any experience with buying Omega watches from Abu Dhabi airport?

2. lillatroll Mar 6, 2018

My understanding is that you would still have to pay some duty when you brought the watch into the UK. There is a personal value allowance but it is quite low.

If you are in Abu Dhabi then you can buy the watch from an AD. I think it will be the same price and they probably have a lot more choice.

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 7, 2018

kov, tikkathree and Gav1967 like this.
  4. Nunny Mar 7, 2018

It's close but a different question. I've deemed it silly to go duty free now but, if the duty free store price (if I can include VAT in their price) is less than stores such as the one we discussed then I would prefer that option.

The only question is whether the UK customs authority honour the duty that I have paid in the country I bought it in.

I'm finding it hard to find an answer to this with Google and the customs website so was hoping to know whether people had experience.

Ultimately it's likely that I'll end up buying from a dealer in the UK itself but id like to be armed with this info if the prices in the airport are enticing.

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 7, 2018

They won’t care what you paid elsewhere, if you buy it outside the EU they will want 20%. Simple as that.

kov, jetkins, tyrantlizardrex and 6 others like this.
  6. Davidt Mar 7, 2018

If you bring in a new un-opened watch they'll want you to pay duty.

If you buy it at the airport, open it, put the watch on your wrist and the box and papers in your suitcase, you're not importing a brand new watch so I don't see how it's any different than buying a watch when you live in Aus, then moving to the UK and bringing the box and papers with you.

7. ICONO Mar 7, 2018

Not again ! ………

0CB714D3-6C76-48D8-8798-E930D0ADEAB2.jpeg

robinsta and Linzer like this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 7, 2018

As your entering for the first time as a Australian who is on a work visa, just wear it and don't think technically you even have to declare it.
    Would be like wearing any watch in.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 7, 2018

I don’t live in the UK or Australia, but I would think there is a difference in the customs law anywhere between bringing items in when emigrating and when returning from a vacation.

It is not appropriate to advocate breaking the law of any country in a public forum.
    gatorcpa

10. Davidt Mar 7, 2018

The OP isn’t returning from a vacation is he? I read it that he was buying the watch on his way to working in the uk for a year. Therefore, he’s buying it before he emigrates.

11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 7, 2018

Call me old fashioned but why don’t you just pick up the phone, or email and ask HMRC?

12. tikkathree Mar 7, 2018

Maybe someone hopes to slide something under the radar? Maybe? Not this Op obviously......
    Anyway, https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods

13. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 7, 2018

Sounds simple, I have been retired for a few years now but in my business life on the odd occasion I had a query and on contacting HMRC it was without exception a complete waste of time. Hopefully they just may have improved ?

padders likes this.
  14. Davidt Mar 7, 2018

Clearly you've ever tried to speak to HMRC. I've never come across a more unhelpful, inconsistent, overly complicated and understaffed organisation in my life.

padders and dennisthemenace like this.
  15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 7, 2018

I don’t see anything here about emigration to the UK, but you may know more than I.
    gatorcpa

16. Davidt Mar 7, 2018

OP mentions it in his other thread.

17. Nunny Mar 7, 2018

Correct, I'm becoming a resident on a tier 2 visa. Did take the advice of @Stewart H and dropped a query in their question page. Fingers crossed but really not that hopeful.

Really don't want to be the dill that gets done for duty by HRMC.

If this goes nowhere I'll simply buy when I get there. Prices seem a lot better online to start with over in the UK than Melbourne.

Thanks for the inputs folks.

18. Nunny Mar 12, 2018

So the guys at Abu Dhabi airport replied and told me that I couldn't pay VAT. There goes the plan but I'll let you know once/if I manage to get a response from customs nonetheless.

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 13, 2018

Buy it anywhere before you enter the UK and its personal belongings. Your over complicating it.Duty is only payable in the country you live and between Aus and UK you don't live anywhere. Its a one time free pass

Work in the game and you can PM me but you shouldn't need to........

Davidt likes this.
  20. Nunny Mar 13, 2018

Hi all,

Here's the response:

"Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Import Charges.

Yes, you will need to declare the watch at the Red Channel and pay import charges upon entry into UK. This is because you are bringing in an item to the UK that is coming from out with the EU and you have a travellers allowance up to the value of £390. If the value of the goods is above your allowance, you therefore need to declare the item at the red channel and pay import charges. For further information on travellers allowance please refer to page 12 of the the following link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/travelling-to-the-uk

This information is based on our current guidance at this time, please check our website regularly for updates.

If you have any further queries regarding Excise, Customs and International Trade please refer to the guidance on our website, https://www.gov.uk"

@STANDY I might give you a message regarding this then.