Forums Latest Members

Buying duty free and taking into the UK

1. Nunny Feb 17, 2018

So I previously posted that I was keen to buy my first speedmaster duty free on the omega forum.

I'm pretty sure that I'll take this option but I'm a little concerned about the legalities at customs.

I'm planning to fly through Dubai from Melbourne, buy tax free and then into Heathrow for a work intra company transfer.

What are the legalities of doing this? Will I have to pay british duty if it's tax free in Dubai?
    Has anyone ever sent the box and receipts from Dubai airport onwards via post?

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 17, 2018

Sounds like a bit of a minefield but would probably come down to where you will by registered for tax - UK or Australia. I guess this will depend on the length of your transfer.

The U.K. Tax free allowance is only £45

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 17, 2018

Depends on how long your going for.??

Duty free is not much difference these days as it was 20 years ago. Dubai was not any cheaper than Aus or UK when I was there a few years ago.

4. Nunny Feb 18, 2018

Moonwatches are quoted at USD4,094 in the Duty free store in Dubai airport which I will try to haggle down a little more over email.
    That said it beats Aussie prices hands down!

Transfer is for at least a year and I'll probably become a British tax payer as a result.

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 18, 2018

Just bear in mind that they are available in the UK from Iconic at £2930/USD$4100 inc UK VAT with full International Omega warranty, that Dubai price isn't all that great IMO unless you can get a decent discount. The Iconic route may avoid any difficulties at UK Customs who are twitchy to say the least and if you do get stung it will be for 20% of the UK ex-VAT RRP ie a further ~£600.

Nunny likes this.
  6. Nunny Feb 19, 2018

Thanks for that though I am a little concerned with the fact that it is "unworn" rather than new.

Have you (or anyone else on the forum for that matter) had any experience with this condition and store?

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 19, 2018

I bought a Breguet from them two years ago and it was a smooth transaction.

They either have them in stock, which is when they describe a watch as "unworn", or they procure them for you. The difference being that the guarantee card is dated when they buy the watch so if it is one of their stock watches, the date will be before the date that you buy it.

They buy all of their watches from ADs so the guarantee is valid but you won't get the full term.

8. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 19, 2018

Not actually used them myself but Iconic do have a good reputation on uk watch fora such as TZ-UK or TWF unlike the similar company Chronext whose reputation is a little more mixed let’s say. Both are proper bricks and mortar businesses, rather than internet only which offers some confidence I feel. I think the situation regarding unworn vs new is described well above by Stewart, purely whether you get full warranty or warranty minus 2-3 weeks.