Forums Latest Members
  1. pmitchjr Nov 17, 2020

universal833100.jpg

Hi Guys... recently inherited this from my father, I believe he got it in the early 1970's
    the numbers are pretty worn down but I think its a ref 833100 sn 28211xx
    as far as I know its all original.. but not operational... have no plans to sell .. just trying to get an idea of it's worth so I don't get too much into it with repairs if its real common.. don't have the proper tool to get the back off but I can have my jeweler do it if needed.. thanks for any assistance you guys can provide... Paul

2. Canuck Nov 17, 2020

One of the movements I have seen in Universal Genevas is the Bulova Accutron 218 model. Marked as a UG of course, and tarted up so it looks less like an Accutron. Without seeing the mechanism, this is only a guess. What is it worth? You pretty well answered that when you said it doesn’t work. What might it be worth after repair? If it is a watch that is important to you sentimentally, you’ll get pleasure that can’t be measured in dollars. If you are thinking of fixing it up and flipping it, don’t bother. You may not recover the cost of the repair. Lots of watches that might be deemed not worth repair are fixed up by the owners for sentimental reasons. You are the only one that can decide if it is worth repairing. Start by getting an estimate, then decide.

DaveK and Vitezi like this.
  3. Canuck Nov 17, 2020

If I am right, this is a picture of the Accutron version of the 218 movement. In the UG, the movements are usually nickel plated.

7F35960B-5734-4CD8-92F4-3490E7F39177.jpeg

4. Vitezi Nov 17, 2020

DaveK likes this.
  5. Mazoue Nov 18, 2020

6. Aedaxoo Nov 18, 2020

there is someone in the netherlands who has the knoledge and machines to work on them. accutron.nl is his website. I have a great experience with him.

7. Carlton-Browne Nov 18, 2020

That's my understanding as well - in fact he seems to be accepting very little work at the moment anyway. I've also used the official Bulova service centre in the UK but they are more expensive and you never actually get to correspond with the person who is working on the watch. This doesn't trouble me for a straightforward service but would worry me if it was more of a project or restoration.

8. pmitchjr Nov 19, 2020

thanks for the input.... Canuck nailed it, that's the movement inside this watch.. unfortunately a new battery didn't get it running..
    I'm in the USA, NJ specifically.. if anyone knows someone knowledgeable near me that could look at it I would appreciate the info..

9. Canuck Nov 19, 2020

This watch should run on a Renata 343 cell (if you can find one of these 1.35 volt cells), or a Renata 344 which is the 1.55 volt equivalent. These cells are POSITIVE ground, which means they are inserted with the PLUS side down. If you have a cell in it that has been inserted upside down, it is likely dead. Start with a fresh cell, and DO NOT handle it with bare fingers! Once the cell is in place, make certain the the screw on each end of the cell bridle is tight! On occasion, a tuning fork watch needs to be tapped with a finger to get the tuning fork vibrating. Let us know if this works. If it doesn’t, it will need work.

DaveK likes this.
  10. pmitchjr Nov 19, 2020

ok thanks.. I'll double check with my jeweler and see if thats what he tried..

11. Canuck Nov 19, 2020

Also, if someone is doing the cell for you, after the cell is installed as per above, have them bring the watch to you. Put it to your ear, and cover your other ear. Listen very carefully for a hummmmmmmmmmmm! The circuit may be fine, the tuning fork may be operating, the watch may be humming, but on occasion on these tuning fork watches, the hands don’t move. It astonishes me how often people expect a watch to TICK, and they don’t recognize that a tuning fork watches hummmmmm! If you know all this, forgive me for the onesy twosy instructions.

12. pmitchjr Nov 19, 2020

great info.. I didn't know that and I'm sure many other noobs didn't either.. :thumbsup:

13. Canuck Nov 19, 2020

Also, if it hums, look to see if the seconds hand is moving.

pmitchjr likes this.
  14. pmitchjr Nov 20, 2020

Canuck you are da man !!
    had my guy put in a new proper battery and he handed it back to me saying it still wasn't running.. so I started tapping it on the counter, he just looked at me like I was nuts... after a few shots it started running but then stopped.. a few more hits and now its buzzzzz'n along :)
    now I just have to figure out how to set the day and date.. lol

15. Canuck Nov 20, 2020

You may or may not have found the best solution. If you find it runs erratically (as in stops), when you see it not telling time, listen for the hum again. If it is humming, you are likely going to have to have it serviced. If it ISN’T humming, you will need a circuit, and a servicing. I hope it runs for you. Better start looking for someone who can service it. Very few shops will touch Accutrons.

Setting the day and date is easy.Advance the hands until the correct day shows. THEN, set the watch to time. AM or PM! Press the knob into the run position, the twist the knob until it “clicks”. The date will advance. Repeat this action until you have the correct date. Then BACK THE KNOB UP about two turns.

Edited by a mod Jul 10, 2021
    bgrisso and pmitchjr like this.
  16. pmitchjr Nov 20, 2020

thanks to another poster on this site, the day and date are now set... thanks !