Forums Latest Members
  1. southwest timers Jun 22, 2017

i just picked up a UG Unisonic Chronometer that has the 1-53 movement which I assume is based on the Accutron 2182. Is this a quick-set movement to change the calendar?

2. Canuck Jun 22, 2017

It is. Turn the crown as if you were winding a mechanical watch, with the crown in the RUN position. Turn it until the date changes, and keep turning it until you have the correct date. Then back the crown up two turns.

3. Mazoue Apr 15, 2020

Apologies for reviving a very old thread.

I have a friend with little interest in watches, who has recently acquired a Unisonic (Ref 853104/06) with a Cal 1-53.

He doesn't seem able to operate the quickset date function or even change the time!

I'm not familiar with the watch or the movement and it's not easy to help with social distancing measures in place.

Is anyone able to help me by writing an idiot's guide to using the crown to change the time and date?

4. Canuck Apr 15, 2020

The 2282 (or the UG equivalent) is a day/date model. The first thing that needs sorting out is why he is unable to set the time. If he is unable to set the time, then changing the date cannot be completely done. So let’s talk about setting the time, first. The set knob (crown) on this model likely has three position. 1/ the run position with the crown not pulled out. 2/ the time set position, the crown pulled out to the FIRST stop to set the time. 3/ the HACK position with the crown pulled out to the SECOND stop which is NOT USED FOR SETTING THE CALENDAR OR THE TIME. This position opens the circuit so the tuning fork quits. Setting the TIME and the DAY (but not the DATE) are done with the crown pulled out to the FIRST stop (not the second stop).

- pull the crown out to the FIRST stop, and set the hands ahead until the day and date change. Keep moving the time ahead until the CORRECT DAY shows (don’t worry about the date at this point. That comes later.) That is midnight. Keep setting the hands ahead until the correct time (AM or PM) shows. Now, the day is correct, and the time is correct.

-push the crown in to the RUN position, and turn the crown (as in winding a manual wind watch) until the DATE changes. There should be a click each time the date changes. Repeat until the calendar gives the correct DATE.

-once the date is set, back the crown up about two turns.

If everything is right with the watch, these instructions will work. Stress the fact that the crown has THREE positions:

1- IN, the RUN position. This position is also used to set the DATE.
    2- Pull out to the FIRST stop to set the DAY and the TIME (but not the DATE).
    3- Pull out to the SECOND stop. This is the HACK position, and all it does is stop the tuning fork. Used only for setting the watch to the second.

Edited Apr 15, 2020
  5. Mazoue Apr 16, 2020

Thanks very much indeed - that's extremely kind of you.

6. Mazoue Apr 20, 2020

I understand that the instructions were very helpful and it is working perfectly.

Thanks again.

bgrisso likes this.
  7. Canuck Apr 20, 2020

:thumbsup: