Forums Latest Members

UG Tri-compax Dial " evolution, varience, service dial & redial referece guide " READ ENTIRE THREAD

1. Diabolik Nov 6, 2016

If we look closely, there is very little that tallies up (left is a re-print and right is original). However, i would still prefer the one on right. Far more character ! !

upload_2016-11-6_16-25-2.png

rolokr likes this.
  2. rolokr Nov 6, 2016

Horrible !

3. rolokr Nov 6, 2016

I think the sellers mean its original to the watch ? Some sellers dont understand what " original " means !

4. LaurentBxl Nov 6, 2016

My mistake, he quoted a well executed old redial.....

5. rolokr Nov 6, 2016

OMG , I had another one mounted on a very 14k Tri-compax claw lugs . However, this a different style in the it has all arabic numerals. Ive had that dial for a minimum 5 years, but I think I bought it 8 years ago ! Im going to have to use all my spares to get all of my Tricompax having OD 's , check this dial ! Note this redial has the dash in Tri-compax. 6 and 9 's no tails like OP ! Maybe the best redial I personally have ever seen !

20161106_145208.jpg
    Edited Nov 6, 2016
  6. Mlafra Nov 6, 2016

I am sorry to not be in agreement, but stright sixes and nines, without the curly end, in the date/seconds/minutes subdials are not necessarly a sign of a reprinted dial. Even though definetively less common than the other font with the curly ending they do exist, and I have seen several examples, both live as well as in picture. Universal Geneve sourced dials from more than one producer and it is to be remembered that even though they are indeed beautiful dials, they did not have the strict controls and checks that, for examples, Pateks or AP or Vacheron had, especially because the Tri-Compax was such a large success that the volume of production was immediately very high and with that the quality (slightly) suffered sometimes. The only think that does not convince me in the dial of the opener is the font of Universal Geneve (or to be more specific the ratio between thickness of it and its dimensions) and the fact that it just looks way too new and crisp (always harder to judge a dial without a watch to compare the overall conditions). And also the absence of the dash between "Tri" and "Compax" (even though there are also very rare examples of dials with the word TRICOMPAX written all together, without dash or space at all).
    But for example the dial lastly posted by rolokr in its 14k claw lugs Tri-Compax appears completly genuine to me.

Edited Nov 6, 2016
    jumpingsecond, zr4484 and rolokr like this.
  7. rolokr Nov 6, 2016

It does look beautiful in person !

Edited Nov 6, 2016
  8. Diabolik Nov 7, 2016

I agree, it looks great. However, it is not something that came out of UG's dial printing workshop and while there are some examples with straight tails and sans serif fonts, they are mainly found on the older compur chronographs. I think you hit the nail on the head with your statement regarding the extraordinary NOS un-aged look of these so called 40s dials that seem to be popping up quite frequently.

Please provide evidence of the tri and tri compax as well as font variations. I am sure the forum would approach any claim of originality with an open mind and without bias. After all, we are all here to learn!

I don't agree with your evaluation of the 14k (most recently posted) example. I would like it to be genuine but I am not convinced. Although not absolute proof and all encompassing, Sala's book is a good guide.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited Nov 7, 2016
  9. Diabolik Nov 7, 2016

What reference and serial is that tri ?

ajn3323 likes this.
  10. Mlafra Nov 7, 2016

A few examples I found. Different style of dials, from different places, with different states of conservation. All reprinted?? I11.jpg I10.jpg I9.jpg I8.jpg I7.jpg I6.jpg I5.jpg I4.jpg I3.jpg I2.png I1.jpg

Tempus, Mark020 and rolokr like this.
  11. Mlafra Nov 7, 2016

You can also find examples of this style of 6s and 9s on Sala's book on page 332, 336, 338, and 34.

It is about 15 different watches, put together quite fast. I am sure I can find more if I look a but more in depth. I am not saying every single one of those I posted, including Sala's ones, is orignal, I am just saying that even though definetively less common this kind of font does indeed exist and it is possible.

Edited Nov 7, 2016
    rolokr likes this.
  12. rolokr Nov 7, 2016

If anything , its a great discussion on the difficulty in determining 100 percent if a dial is original or not. Its starting hard for me to believe that there are so many Tri-compax dials with the straight 6s and 9s out there that ALL are redials ?
    Was the quality of UGs dials variable with some having a better finish, thus weathering time better ?

13. Mlafra Nov 7, 2016

rolokr, I dont think so, the ones I posted show different levels of preservation and quality, different styles, with and without lume, with and without applied indices, all from the 40s or perhaps early 50s. Some have the dash between "Tri" and "Compax", some don't (but the majority do).

14. Diabolik Nov 7, 2016

There are no 50s . All 40s from what I can see.

I still need convincing. Show me references and serial numbers. From there it would be possible to cross reference catalogues and archives.

This is an important and ground breaking discussion likely to be used as reference in future debates. I suggest me cAll for others who have far more knowledge and experience to join the discussion ...

Lous
    Jordn
    Woodwkr
    Gigi
    Bubawatch

Larry S likes this.
  15. rolokr Nov 7, 2016

Does anyone have UG Tricompax advertisement ads from magazines ?

16. Mlafra Nov 7, 2016

I agree they are most likely all from the 40's.
    I wont be able to give you Reference and Serial numbers for all of them, as I took them form the internet. Some I know though, in no particular order:

Ref. 12266 --> Serial 1244XXX
    Ref. 22536 --> Serial 959XXX
    Ref. 22242 --> Serial 11XXXXX
    Ref. 12254 --> Serial 947XXX
    Ref. 22250 --> Serial 1154XXX
    Ref. 22541 --> Serial 1181XXX
    Ref. 12552 --> Serial 1244XXX

Serial numbers might be useful to determine perhaps (and I stress perhaps) a period when this font was more used, but reference numbers are less useful as they only indicate case shape, material and type of caliber inside, they do not (and I stress do not) refer to dials in any way, shape or form. As a matter of fact UG's clients could choose and request the dial of their liking on any given reference, which makes it a nightmare now for us all collector to study them!

Edited Nov 7, 2016
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 7, 2016

Dammed right. This is headed for reference status. Brain trust .... We summon thee! (Although Diabolik ... you sell yourself short)...:thumbsup:

18. rolokr Nov 7, 2016

Does anyone know Sala personally ? It would be great if he would chime in !

19. Vitezi Nov 7, 2016

[​IMG]
    (thanks)

[​IMG]
    (thanks)

20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 7, 2016

I'm reading along with interest. Providing reliable data here will take a little time however

rolokr likes this.