Forums Latest Members

UG "Big Eye" serial number project...up!

1. subregister Mar 21, 2020

0uss, cvalue13, bgrisso and 7 others like this.
  2. fibonacci Mar 23, 2020

Thanks for compiling this information and making it public. I find it really helpful to build an understanding of how rare "rare" actually is.

Of the serials you found, the first one, 2370276, seems like kind of an outlier. I wonder what explains that.

The second one, 2380051, I see stated in the auction listing but I can't actually see it in the photos. Maybe it's faint enough to only be visible from certain angles.

3. bgrisso Mar 23, 2020

Thank you for this! Any plans to document the black dial big eye?

4. subregister Mar 30, 2020

You're welcome :thumbsup:
    It is difficult to say yet about the first serial, simply due to the lack of serial number information on so many I have found. But yes, given the hypothesized very short run, it does seem to be an outlier. Hopefully I will continue to find more serials...if you know of any I've missed, please let me know. I've reached out to all owners I could find, and hopefully some will respond with information to share. ::popcorn::

On the 2380051, that is from the text of the auction (it is hard to see from many images, but it seems many have obscured the serials for the shared photos, though difficult to even tell where they did so given the brightness of the image), and also note that it is an incorrect caseback (noted in the auction as an /01 caseback).

5. subregister Mar 30, 2020

Thanks @bgrisso . I don't have any plans yet for the black dial, but may add in the future. As a part of many of these projects I do capture information on related pieces to my initial area of focus, but haven't collected too much yet on the /01.