Forums Latest Members

Tudor Pelagos FXD...the best Pelagos...a strap monster?

1. Al22 Aug 15, 2022

I am wearing this combo at the moment. It's the watch which gets the most wrist time at the moment

Best Alex
    PXL_20220809_133047311.jpg PXL_20220809_133022020.jpg

MTROIS, watchyouwant, Syrte and 3 others like this.
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 1, 2022

As much as I like the new 39mm Pelagosli (as they would call it in CH in its diminutive form), it just somehow reinforces this one as the nicest Pelagos (imho). How many owners agree?!

watchyouwant likes this.
  3. GandOsDad Sep 1, 2022

Sorry…. Still looking for anyone in the forum that owns the FXD and a Speedy if they could show them side by side ?? It’s my only frame of reference lol

4. YY77 Sep 1, 2022

Dsloan and eugeneandresson like this.
  5. GandOsDad Sep 1, 2022

Hero.

6. KeithS Sep 1, 2022

Sorry for the low quality pictures. I feel too lazy to break out the good camera.

IMG_3130.jpeg

IMG_3131.jpeg
    IMG_3132.jpeg
    IMG_3133.jpeg
    IMG_3135.jpeg

7. KeithS Sep 1, 2022

I've been toying with the idea of trading my FXD in for the Pelagos 39. However, after watching several hands-on reviews, I am starting feel like the 39 mm variant is a little too generic/bland/Submariner-ish. The FXD definitely has a lot more character.

Al22, Duckie and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 2, 2022

I would want to see that shiny dial/bezel first…and in blue. There are so many black faced watches around…

KeithS likes this.
  9. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Sep 2, 2022

That was my first impression when seeing the release, too. The FXD ha way more character imo and of the two, I would choose that one every time.

watchyouwant and KeithS like this.
  10. Duckie Sep 2, 2022

I'm not an owner but I believe you're right.
    The factory NATO that's on the watch is a killer in it's own right as well.

11. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 16, 2022

Finally…arrived…niiiiice watch this … call me ‘owner’ ::rimshot::Or custodian (for now).

620A76E7-1775-4ACE-95B4-0A386529EA3E.jpeg

Haven’t had a chance yet to see it in varied lighting conditions (ownership has only been a few hours in really shitty weather) but will post some nice pics as soon as I have some. It’s a ::love:: piece …

12. Pete2021 Sep 17, 2022

Can I ask what the wait time was?

I went into an Ad in the UK last week. Was told they've had one piece this year. Due to this they aren't allowing anyone to be placed on the list.

I knew these were popular but underestimated how popular I guess.

13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 17, 2022

I think I waited 3 months for this. But that’s a ‘new to me top secret AD’ that I will never share, who is in an obscure and small location, and nowhere near where I live. Locally, I was on the list since the beginning of the year, but took my name off the list as soon as I got the call. I think I am done locally…too many people where I live.

14. Pete2021 Sep 17, 2022

But that’s a ‘new to me top secret AD’ that I will never share,

Ha. I don't blame you.

Three months is pretty good.

I don't really understand the waits though.

There are 3/4 pieces on ebay for £3500 or less. Bnib. So If you can get them for a 400 mark up (which I don't personally feel is too bad if you really want the watch) how can an ad basically laugh you out of the store when you ask to go on the list for 2023 stamped model.

Seems a bit crazy to me.

15. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 17, 2022

The shop who sold me mine has kind of explained how their inventory trickles in (this goes for Rolex and Patek too) - it’s a slow trickle of 1 or 0 watches, per model ordered, and the period is like 2/3/4 months depending.

The local shop where I did not buy and have been waiting at forever (Bucherer, in a major Swiss city) told me (in June) that they have received very few this year (can count on 1 hand they said) - and have a waitlist only as long as they can project to satisfy for the year based on how many they have received and the time it took to receive (provided past supply rate and future supply rate is constant) - they said also that these cases are difficult to machine, and so production is expected to be slow/limited…whilst titanium is notoriously difficult to machine, I’m not buying that as they have been making titanium dive watches (the original Pelagos) for about a decade and they have just launched a new line. Maybe limited production is a choice versus a constraint.

Another guy I know who lives in the middle of nowhere (in Austria) says that his local shop told him that they will only get 1, and the only way they can decide which customer will get it is to raffle the watch when it arrives ::facepalm2::

Based on that limited info it looks like the usual dilemma of ‘demand vs supply’.

I don’t advocate grey market/flippers as they sap the life out of this hobby for folks like me, but I find that also acceptable and if I really wanted one, and there was no chance of being able to get one from a retailer, I’d seriously consider it. I can imagine there are some people who just don’t bond, and couldn’t be arsed to scalp…EDIT: also, that +400 could be to compensate eBay fees (they, plus paypal and their skewed conversion rates, are a bunch of greedy shytes ... I am certain if one of those sellers was local to you, and you could meet, he would happily waiver the fees and do a RRP cash deal).

Edited Sep 17, 2022
  16. Pete2021 Sep 17, 2022

Yeah I mean this is what my local ad told me. They have recieved one this year. Which I find surprising as i thought these were quite a niche watch and not so main stream as say a std pelagos. However I presume that in itself could be part of the problem.

They are the only ad in my nearest city. Which isn't a huge city.

I suppose I might have better luck at an official boutique in London.

I agree you're right on the supply being a choice. The "rolex crisis" has never sat patrticually well with me. I've always felt (rightly or wrongly) that it was in some part caused by rolex themselves limiting supply.

I wasn't aware that tudor might be doing the same. Dissapointing but not surprising when you think about it.

But never mind all part of the game i suppose.

17. kaapstadflaneur Sep 21, 2022

I've been on the list for a Pelagos FXD at my local (South African) Tudor AD since January. They've received a grand total of one piece since it was released last year. I'm supposedly next on the list, but they aren't expecting another FXD to arrive until some time in early-2023 (and that's after they called to specifically get one for me).

I was in Dubai a week ago and stopped at the official Tudor boutique there thinking I might get lucky. No chance. They have a waiting list of 70+ for the FXD and are receiving on average one FXD per month. The sales associate noted that Tudor had never considered the FXD to have mass consumer appeal, so they were prioritizing production of other watches (e.g. the new Pelagos 39 and Ranger) over the FXD. Who knows if that explanation is correct, but sounded plausible to me.

18. cakey007 Sep 21, 2022

I must say I’m surprised how difficult they are to get, or should I say how lucky I was - rang up the local dealer to see if there was one available for an upcoming holiday the following week and because we were an existing customer ( not a great deal) they had one I could have, so of course we got it brought straight away and within a few days of asking about one I’m on holiday with it .

19. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 1, 2022

Some strap options.

86A2C57E-00F8-4157-8F46-2FC60B9ADE06.jpeg 768455B6-B569-43A4-AD51-27F2AB75126F.jpeg 054B2A4D-3F52-427C-95AF-A13C5D2D4742.jpeg

Must say…that yellow is hitting the spot. More to come.

tapaptpat, KLXN, MTROIS and 2 others like this.
  20. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Oct 2, 2022

Outside of the two factory straps, I only have one aftermarket strap for this. However, the day after this watch arrived, I ordered a few more that should be arriving tomorrow if any luck is involved.

D5B3723A-E81C-452F-9625-49FB3F493D97.jpeg

At least for the one aftermarket strap, wearing it two different ways completely changes the look. I’m very excited for the two new straps to arrive though :)

EB9914A4-2B00-4B3B-AB1A-7B7B10D914C8.jpeg 513FD891-8165-48A6-B44B-2C47247201AE.jpeg

MTROIS and eugeneandresson like this.