Forums Latest Members

Tudor Black Bay Chrono Steel & Gold (79363N)

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 10, 2019

So I had some time after work, and as all people should do when vaguely interested in a watch, I ended up in my nearest Bucherer to try it out.

IMG_3160.jpg
    Someone should invent lighting just for watch stores. I find that watches always look terrible under the lighting in these stores ... I prefer the lighting of my crappy desk lamp.

IMG_3158.jpg
    As someone who wears predominantly vintage, it feels big (I know its not, and have in my younger days worn huge pieces), and thick (had my SpeedyTuesday on today, so used that for benchmarking) ... a bit thicker than the Speedy. I found the bracelet a bit wide (but then I too was wearing my freshly received JB Champion which is quite narrow). The size totally suites my 7.2inch wrist.

IMG_3157.jpg
    The watch did have some heft to it ... maybe the solid gold in the crown/pushers/endlinks, or maybe the JB champion which makes the speedy feather-lite. I did find that the screw-down crown/pushers, in gold, appear quite big.

I also thought the off-white datewheel a nice touch.

Overall I liked it, but I think I would need more wrist time with the S&G.

They also had a BB58 (on leather) and so I had to try that on too. And boy, that one was super nice...

IMG_3159.jpg

It immediately felt more at home on the wrist. Size wise its fantastic, and even though it doesn't look it, was slightly thinner then a regular hesalite Speedy when compared on the wrist, side to side (sorry I did not take pics). Fits like a charm.

IMG_3161.jpg
    IMG_3162.jpg

That SpeedyTuesday on JB Champion though ... ::love:: ...

Seeing as I was there, and the staff were very friendly and more than happy to whip out watches, I got to try another Tudor that I had been wanting to for a couple of years now...

IMG_3163.jpg

The Pelagos LHD. A total stunner. At this point, any thoughts I had toward the BB Chrono S&G were gone. Slightly bigger than the BB58, however, a bit more toned down, and modern looking (that dial is just killer) ... not sure which I prefer more. I think both could find a place in my collection.

IMG_3165.jpg

On my way out, I saw a watch I remember really enjoying at Baselworld.

IMG_3167.jpg
    The bucherer heritage chrono (888 pieces only). That dial is very reminiscent of 2 of my Lemania's...super nice, but too much happening for me.

TLDR: in the flesh, no perceived itch for the BB S&G Chrono...however, I would love to test one for a week, and also, I think it might look a lot better on the regular steel bracelet. Trying on the BB58/LHD was a mistake, as they have got me thinking...I also wouldnt be surprised if there are more '58's next Baselworld...the dimensions are a sweet spot.

Edited Dec 10, 2019
    chipotlefire, larryganz and Dsloan like this.