Forums Latest Members

Tudor 7016/0 Submariner Fake or Real?

1. Saju_J Mar 14, 2023

Hi, could you please provide your opinion on this piece (Tudor 7016/0 Submariner), I bought it from Mercari. I received the watch yesterday and after examining it closley, I think it's a fake/franken watch. it has a series number starting with 845***. It was not evident from the pictures shared in the listing, also I am not an expert. I may be able to return it back and report it. Request the experts to share your opinion?

IMG_1391.jpg IMG_1396.jpg IMG_1398.jpg IMG_1400.jpg IMG_1404.jpg IMG_1415.jpg IMG_1428.jpg IMG_1433.jpg IMG_1434.jpg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 14, 2023

What about this Tudor made you think it would be a good idea to post on the vintage "Omega" board?

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 14, 2023

Why post a complete Fake Tudor on the vintage Omega Forum?

PlainVanilla and Mark020 like this.
  4. Saju_J Mar 14, 2023

Hi, I thought that there could be people in this forum who are experts on vintage watches and their knowledge may not be just limited to Omega. Aslo, am not able to post on a Rolex forum being a new member, needs minimum 10 posts.

5. JwRosenthal Mar 14, 2023

Hi @Saju_J and welcome to Omega Forums. You will want to return this as soon as possible. It is “not as described” unless it was listed as a fake Tudor.
    Best practices is to really research vintage watches before you buy, they can be a minefield (lots of fakes and cobbled watches) and knowledge is your best tool.

6. Saju_J Mar 14, 2023

Thank you :). No where it was listed as a fake Tudor. Sure, I will do my best to do as thorough research as possible before I click the purchase button.

7. Dan S Mar 14, 2023

You posted this in the wrong place. This forum has a Rolex sub-forum.

watchyouwant, watch3s and JwRosenthal like this.
  8. Saju_J Mar 14, 2023

Hi Dan, is there a way to move this post to the Rolex sub form?

9. JwRosenthal Mar 14, 2023

We have all gotten over-eager before, sometimes we can recover easily and sometimes it’s a tough lesson.

hansaboy, Spacefruit and Saju_J like this.
  10. Thommas Mar 14, 2023

As other mentioned, wrong sub-forum— but this is an interesting post, and a good way to help others learn.

I'm curious to understand what are all the tells that give this away as a fake with just a few photos. Here are the ones I picked up on but I'm sure there's a lot more:

- Caseback doesn't appear flat enough and the engraving lacks sharpness
    - Tudor font on the rotor looks completely off
    - Bezel insert is way too clean and the pearl insert at 12 looks brand new

Aside from those, the case has wear and scratches where you might expect them and the dial and hands (although maybe a bit too matchy-matchy in color) could have fooled me.

Spacefruit, Duracuir1 and JwRosenthal like this.
  11. redpcar Mar 14, 2023

"T SWISS T" is wrong

watch3s and Mark020 like this.
  12. JwRosenthal Mar 14, 2023

Agreed. I’m not an expert on these and go by the “know one when I see one” gut feeling, but always find these threads helpful- not just to the OP, but to a greater understanding of what to look for in this community.
    This is the second fake Tudor sub we have seen on this forum in as many days, so there is clearly a new batch of fakes making the rounds and it is helpful when the seasoned pro’s share their knowledge.

13. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Mar 14, 2023

That is the easiest one IMHO

14. fiberguy Mar 14, 2023

The rubber gasket on the crown tube would be enough to turn me off.

15. Saju_J Mar 14, 2023

After receiving the item I looked at many images of Tudor OP from a similar time frame (which I should have done before the purchase ) and realised a lot of things are off:

· The indices are thicker in the fake one, in the real one it’s thinner
    · In the fake one, complete lettering on the dial is thicker and if you zoom up, you’ll realise the letters on a real one are comparatively thinner and sharp, each letter has angles and this one does not. It was not evident in the actual listing
    · In the fake one, the position of T SWISS T is off, T’s are closer to the sticks. In the real one SWISS is placed very clsoe to the half an hr stick, the lettering is much slim, also the T’s are aligned in the centre of space between the sticks
    · In the real one there’s more gap between the Rose symbol and the 12 hr mark lume, where as in the fake one the gap is less
    · The top part of 12 hr mark lume is round in the real one, where as in the fake one it’s flat
    · Lume at 3, 6, 9 mark is closer to the indices in the real one, whereas in the fake one it has gap and it's thicker when compared to the real one

Mark020, inchpincher and JwRosenthal like this.
  16. JwRosenthal Mar 14, 2023

Look at you! Now send that fake fucker back!

Turpinr, SC1 and Thommas like this.
  17. Thommas Mar 14, 2023

Very good. All those differences clearly jump out when comparing the dial in detail with a genuine one (pic taken from a past listing on HQ Milton)

upload_2023-3-14_15-12-6.png

Saju_J likes this.
  18. Saju_J Mar 14, 2023

I'll. My story is bit convoluted though. I bought it from Mercri.jp, they dont ship to foregin countries directly. The seller ships it to Buyee.jp warehouse, and they ship abroad. Buyee is the middlemen, they provide shipping service. Anyways, I paid using Paypal and have opened up a dispute with them and reported to Mercari as well. Let's see how this goes.

I am writing all this here because in the future someone might find it helpful. I'll provide more updates later.

SC1 and JwRosenthal like this.
  19. JwRosenthal Mar 14, 2023

Keep your eye on the private watch sales & watches for sale sections here, Tudor and Rolex subs pop up periodically and this is a pretty safe place to buy (member and mod vetted). You need 200 posts to to add anything to the sales section, but if you can reach out to sellers there via PM.

watch3s and SC1 like this.
  20. Saju_J Mar 14, 2023

Great, I'll.