Forums Latest Members

Tudor 2021 releases so popular their website is down

1. dsacks30 Apr 10, 2021

My AD had a silver one in the store for clients to try on, so I stopped in. He also had the original BB58 in the case so I held both at the same time - they felt like they weighed the same, there was noticeable difference. The silver one looked really nice - great legibility, and love the ghosted look. I have my name on the list, so we’ll see if or when I get the call.

2. Kraut783 Apr 10, 2021

was there any noticeable difference in the silver case and the bracelet of the BB58?

3. dsacks30 Apr 10, 2021

Yeah, not a huge difference but enough where I would not want to put the BB58 bracelet on the silver one. The silver has more warmth than the stainless steel. Since the silver alloy is also softer than stainless steel (presumably) I would also be afraid that the end links might damage the case.

Syrte and Kraut783 like this.
  4. Kraut783 Apr 10, 2021

Thanks dsacks30!

dsacks30 likes this.
  5. TechFounder Apr 10, 2021

Do you mean no noticeable difference? If it’s Argentium silver as I suspect, it should be as hard or harder than SS and won’t tarnish.

Silver is 25% denser than SS so it should be heavier.

Edited Apr 10, 2021
  6. dsacks30 Apr 10, 2021

I couldn’t tell a difference in the weight. Tudor is not disclosing the composition of the alloy, so it could be mixed with a lighter metal to counterbalance the weight of the silver. Either way, it did not feel any different in my hand. The representative seemed to think it would ding easier than stainless steel though.

7. TechFounder Apr 10, 2021

Thanks, I guess we’ll find out after people start reporting back.

8. dsacks30 May 10, 2021

I received the first silver BB58 that came in to my AD. It’s really not a taupe, although I’ve seen it described that way. It’s definitely a slate grey to me. The piece has a nice weight - I read somewhere it is slightly heavier than the stainless version - but it doesn’t feel heavy or bulky.

19BE6564-0B65-4267-995F-4D1C39A50BA7.jpeg 8A5903FE-1DE3-4793-AC12-CDA7E666ADB6.jpeg 19846518-05A6-4E3D-A8F7-82982A4F8BD1.jpeg

Eve, red crowned, Darlinboy and 7 others like this.
  9. Awetaylor May 10, 2021

How would you compare it to a standard black bay 58?

Does it sit on the wrist as well? And does the silver shine differently to SS when seen in person?

Sorry for the compound questions, I'm just so curious about this piece!!

10. Awetaylor May 10, 2021

Woops, didn't see these posts from earlier... ignore my last message

11. dsacks30 May 10, 2021

It sits really well on the wrist. This version is ever so slightly thicker because of the sapphire caseback but you really can’t tell. It wears well. The other thing I’d point out is every surface is brushed, including the bevels, which gives it a different look.

12. Awetaylor May 10, 2021

Ah thank you, as this is helpful. I tried on the Black Bay 58 blue and found it a lovely fit on my wrist, so I hoped that that would be the same case for the silver (being slightly thicker).

I'm very interested in how the metal is going to age over the years

13. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 15, 2021

the soft look of the silver is nice. it matches well with the grey dial.

the green and gold looks really nice as well. but you're gonna pay the fiddler for it.

but lol @ exposing how awful that movement looks with the sapphire back. could it look any worse than it does?

Awetaylor likes this.
  14. Awetaylor May 15, 2021

I admit... as movements goes... it’s not one to have made the effort of putting a sapphire case back for
    from what I hear of what archer says, they don’t even repair movements at Tudor, they replace them. That kind of kills the vibe of seeing the movement for me, there is magic in something you can bring back to life and that will last generations, less so in something that is replaced as a whole.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  15. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 15, 2021

obv they wanted to save money, but they could have done something economical to give the back some kind of "wow" factor for the amount of what both watches cost. what they did is akin to a 500 micro

i still can't get over how bad it actually looks.

16. dsacks30 May 15, 2021

Looks even better on a grey NATO

D82D2FE5-CFE4-41EA-A9B7-BF98D1D06F09.jpeg

17. kaapstadflaneur May 31, 2021

Last weekend I wandered down to the Tudor AD at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town, South Africa. To my surprise, they had one of the new silver 925 BB58 silver watches available in the display case, so I tried it on. Great watch and I loved the brushed matter silver finish on it and the gray dial/bezel (to me "taupe" is more of a beige color).

However, the silver case was already beginning to tarnish -- there was an unappealing green-ish yellow tarnish appearing on the top of the lugs where they met the bezel, as well as on back of the case along the serrated edge running around the sapphire display case back (sadly, I didn't have my phone with me, so wasn't able to take photos). I was surprised, so I chatted with the SA about it. She indicated that they, too, were surprised that the case had started to tarnish so quickly as Tudor had told them that the new silver alloy was very stable and it would take years to tarnish. She speculated/hypothesized that some combination of constant handling, being in a display case under bright lights, and the salty/humid sea air (V&A Waterfront is, as the name suggests, on the water) had caused the tarnish to occur within a matter of weeks.

Prior to noticing the tarnish, I had been tempted to buy the watch. But seeing how it had started to tarnish so quickly (and in an unattractive way), I think I'll wait six months to see whether rapid tarnishing is a widespread problem with the silver BB58s or if this is an isolated case.

Edited May 31, 2021
  18. S.H. May 31, 2021

I sorta spilled some coffee reading this :eek:. You'd think that a costly waterproof watch could maybe withstand some fingerprints while sitting some hundreds of meters from actual seawater...::facepalm2:: As if a diving watch using some sterling silver alloy was a brilliant* idea to begin with.

Waiting a few months so see if it is an isolated problem is a good idea imho.

*:D

19. mbeast May 31, 2021

Here's a video with another watch showing signs of tarnish already. Not good!

20. TechFounder May 31, 2021

This is interesting because I've seen online reviews where the reviewer said that the silver finish looks warmer than the stainless steel version. I bet those reviewers obtained tarnished versions of the watch and that's why they're saying that. Actual silver is whiter and therefore cooler in color. I bet those reviewers received watches that basically had that yellow tarnish all over and therefore said that the metal looks warmer. For example, this review: https://www.rescapement.com/blog/1-on-1-tudor-black-bay-fifty-eight-925-silver-and-a-neo-vintage-lollipop-submariner You can sort of see the tarnish in the photos as well. I guess owners of the 925 should expect the watch metal to turn warmer yellow/brown as it ages and not dark gray to black like typical silver.

This may also account for Tudor calling it Taupe because they know that over time, the silver finish will indeed turn taupe.