Forums Latest Members
  1. JSP Jun 30, 2020

Hi all,

I recently started to get interested in watches, and the last time I was home my mother gave me my grandfather's OMEGA. I have not serviced it yet, but before doing so I wanted to ask for a bit of help trying to identify the model, confirm it's original and assuming so have a sense of how scarce/valuable it might be (for my knowledge, no intention of selling it as it has a lot of sentimental value to me).

Based on a bit of desktop research, it seems it could be from 1949-1950 (OT 2617), but chain looks different, etc.

A note on the authenticity question - my grandfather lived sometime in Canary Islands in Spain, which at the time was famous a famous hub for imports but want to make sure it was not also from counterfeit and something got lost in translation there...

Thank you for your help!
    IMG_7584.jpg IMG_7587.jpg IMG_7586.jpg IMG_7585.jpg

2. tdn-dk Jun 30, 2020

Omega did not used crome cases at that time, so the case is properly not from Omega.
    If it is an Omega dial it has been redone.
    I think you have get it opened to se if there is an Omega movement i it.

JSP, Biezmez and ConElPueblo like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Jun 30, 2020

Hi JSP, welcome on board :)

Your grandfather's watch is not an original Omega as you may have sensed yourself. The dial looks as if it comes from a correct reference, but has been redialed, meaning that it at some point was restored due to being damaged or similar. The case is not an Omega produced variant and has probably come from a different watch to begin with.
    Is it a counterfeit? I would suspect that it wasn't made like this to deceive, more likely to give a damaged watch a second life, but who knows?

63TR4, JSP and Mark020 like this.
  4. JSP Jun 30, 2020

Hi both! Thanks a lot for the welcome and the fast and super clear answers! In that case, I think I will just keep it for the value it has to me, but probably not worth starting a trip of fixing, servicing, etc.

5. Canuck Jun 30, 2020

I suspect that crystal is of a plastic that has yellowed over decades. It might be enlightening to see what the dial looks like if the mechanism was removed from the case. Too bad about the deterioration of the chrome plated base metal case.

JSP likes this.