Forums Latest Members

Truly awful Tag Heuer servicing experience

1. Chachi Feb 2, 2023

I recently went to pick up my Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 17 from the Sydney boutique for a service that I'd waited 3.5 months for and they'd charged my through the nose for (photo of my watch attached). I was excited to get the watch back on my wrist, so strapped it on without much thought. It was only as I was chatting to the sales lady in the boutique that I noticed the chrono hand wasn't sitting at the 12 o'clock position properly. It was then I decided to take a closer look at the watch. What I found was a scratched case back and scratched back of the case (looks like tool marks), along with a blemish on the dial near the 7 o'clock position. I was absolutely irate, it looked like my 5 year old had done the service. The sales lady first tried to suggest that the scratches were already there before the service (which they weren't). So they have taken it back to try to fix the issues, but really showed not much care for a shoddy service. It'll be interesting to see if they manage to fix the issues or if they stuff it up even further.

I'm actually a bit annoyed at myself, the watch was working fine and I only put it in for a service for preventative reasons. It's one of my favourite watches and it has some great memories. I can't believe a service from a brand like Tag Heuer would be so shoddy, imagine if a car went in for a service and came back in worse shape then when it went it?? Has anyone else experienced terrible watch servicing form a brand recently?

Carrera Calibre 17.jpg
    Duracuir1 likes this.
  2. Dan S Feb 2, 2023

Are you kidding? Have you read the forum? Half of the threads from new members involve complaints about service centers or QC problems on new watches. Fortunately, we never tire of hearing these stories. Keep 'em coming! :thumbsup: And don't forget to upgrade your membership.

3. sheepdoll Feb 2, 2023

And this is why I will not take on work from others.

There is simply too much overhead needed. At least when you do it your self it adds character to the watch.

Duracuir1 and Chachi like this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 2, 2023

I have had terrible experience with Richemont service and am dreading the eventual need to service my JLCs … that said, I could not be happier with my recent Rolex service experience. In your case, I would have the dealer who sent it in, rip the service center a new one.

5. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Feb 2, 2023

Beautiful watch!

NGO1 and Chachi like this.
  6. NGO1 Feb 2, 2023

Misery needs company, indeed.
    In-house H02 movement is a piece of shit. “In house” means something when House is capable.

4!!! That’s right FOUR trips to service centers and a movement replacement later!!!!

At night, when it’s quiet, I can hear my Carrera screaming from the 3 unnecessary surgical experimentations.

2022A0C2-8EA0-439F-8597-90156E94E6AB.jpeg
    BSUdude and Duracuir1 like this.
  7. timjohn Feb 2, 2023

I had a Tank Basculate serviced recently by Richemont's Cartier boutique in London and they were great -- fast, well-priced, no unnecessary upsell -- but having said that, Cartier's movements are not on the same level as JLC.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 2, 2023

I’ve had bad experiences with Richemont, so bad in fact that their watchmakers couldn’t fix a watch they had made or understand what is wrong with it. I had to get a vastly more talented watchmaker who @watchyouwant also uses to dismantle this stupid Panerai and figure out that the pallet fork was manufactured out of spec. After he modified it, this 5 figure watch finally worked.

LVMH (TAG Heuer) I actually found to be quite good, they’ve eaten a lot of replacement costs on watches as part of service on some ive submitted but in fairness those were ETA watches.

The whole push for in house movements and away from ETA has really demonstrated just how much ETA was propping up the industry and how many brands are not capable of making their own that well.

marco, Rudi99, lindo and 7 others like this.
  9. Chachi Feb 8, 2023

::censored:: Wowza, four trips is ridiculous!

I kicked up enough of a stink that they are taking my complaint seriously now, they've even offered to order a new case back to replace the one they scratched up, so at least they are doing everything they can to make it right.

10. asrnj77 Feb 8, 2023

Speaking of Richemont I recall meeting the watchmaker at Vacheron Constantin in Beverly Hills. He was a nice guy and did all the work for them in house in the physical store. I think the issues come up when the watch gets moved around from place to place with random people working on it.

janice&fred likes this.
  11. Om3ga321 Feb 8, 2023

Took my Carrera Calibre 16 in for a service to Tag.The watch maker was to lazy and replaced the whole movement.
    After speaking my mind they gave me my original movement back in a plastic movement holder.
    I wanted that movement back in my watch which they refused to do.
    Paid my money and have never bought a Tag since.

12. Chachi Feb 9, 2023

I finally received my watch back today, they were nice enough to courier it to me, excited to strap it on, the i noticed anther new scratch on the top left lug!!! Seriously, who is servicing these watches??

InkedCarrera Calibre 17 4.jpg
  13. janice&fred Feb 9, 2023

Polish out the scratch yourself and forget about factory service of any watch again. Even under warrantee I would rather have my own guy working on a watch I owned.

josiahg52, ghce and Om3ga321 like this.
  14. Chachi Feb 9, 2023

Yes agreed, never taking a watch back there again, every time they fix one thing it comes back with something else damaged.

15. sheepdoll Feb 10, 2023

I guess there is a reason I work on these myself. Of course I get the cheapest most rusted beaters out there.

Would not mind finding more junked Tag/Heuers. I still think that restricting service parts is going to byte the manufactures in the hand. Especially reading post like this. Of course when I scratch my own watch it gives it 'character.' But I still cry a little and would like to have those few seconds back.

The worse thing though is when the screwdriver slips and runs through the hairspring of a Val-72. That one really hurt.

Chachi likes this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 10, 2023

Had a 90s Tag serviced several years ago in Australia and can’t complain about the service.
    Came back with a neat travel case and also had the instruction booklet I had misplaced. Crown and pushers were replaced. Couldn’t fault the service.

1638C9E7-E561-41D6-B842-0267A79DF257.jpeg

google pic below
    AEB60B3D-2C60-42BD-B6FD-C74748C9E05F.jpeg

Did have an issue with the jewellery store I sent it in via, try to extort an extra $200 for the service even though they made me pay $25 each way shipping when I dropped it off. Lucky I had been in contact with Tag and knew the service price.

YY77 likes this.
  17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 10, 2023

ripley1.jpg

:D