Forums Latest Members

Tropical 16800 Submariner caught

1. erpin9 Jul 8, 2020

I first bumped into a Rolex Submariner 16800 with tropical dial many years ago and my first impression was that it had a water damaged dial. Through the years, i saw many more examples and it finally got me convinced to look for one to add to my collection.

The other day, one of my dealer friend sent me a message but I never had the chance to read it until late afternoon. When I finally got to check his message, it was a picture of the watch which got me all excited and wasted no time calling him, hoping the watch was still available. Luckily, it was and I did not even bother to haggle with him anymore on the price. Happy the share this great catch with everyone here.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Annapolis, leetse2, quito and 14 others like this.
  2. ChiefMark Jul 8, 2020

I'm often left flabbergasted at the culture in the Rolex collecting community. Keep in mine I'm not criticizing it - we still (for now) live in a relatively free economy, and people can spend their hard-earned money on whatever makes them happy. I guarantee I've purchased things that at least 1/2 the planet would think were inexplicable, so please don't take offense, because none is intended.

I just admittedly can't wrap my head around coming up with all the nicknames for damage, and then watches with that damage are demanding a premium above even a new watch in some cases. From what I've read, people are coming up with ways to deliberately damage better examples of watches (the submariner being a prime example) to raise the perceived value of the watch by darkening the lume and bleaching out the dial and bezel. I've found myself substituting "damage" for "patina" whenever I see the latter word in a description. Yes, there are cases where it's truly just fading (as the above dial) but I've seen watches where the enamel is flaking off, where there's moisture or oil damage, where the plating is rubbing off or the hands are corroded, and the description talks about a "lovely patina."

Anyway, done rambling. Lovely tropical dial, congrats on the find! If that watch could talk, I bet it would have interesting stories.

Rodentman, ERBM, Benbradstock and 3 others like this.
  3. OmeGez Jul 8, 2020

That is a lovely looking Sub you have there! I hope you wear it as much as the previous owner clearly has!

I agree on the above post, the vintage Rolex following is insane. I appreciate them, like the one above. I will never venture into vintage myself. Unless my current ‘modern ones’ become classed as classics themselves..

janice&fred and erpin9 like this.
  4. erpin9 Jul 8, 2020

Totally agree. Dials that faded or discolored over time are natural occurences but there are watches being peddled as having tropical dials where in thruth, these dials were water or moisture damaged.

5. erpin9 Jul 8, 2020

This watch definitely earned its keep from the previous owner. Well used but not abused.

OmeGez and janice&fred like this.
  6. janice&fred Jul 8, 2020

Eric it's important to keep in mind that many forum members are not aware that you, like us, have the advantage of harvesting true "tropical" sport watches from the deep tropical south pacific islands of the Philippines. No where else has such gorgeous vintage sport watches than the south pacific. These watches are the real deal.

7. erpin9 Jul 8, 2020

Right you are Fred. Keep safe.

OmeGez likes this.
  8. ChiefMark Jul 8, 2020

9. Toishome Jul 8, 2020

Regardless of how the dial got to look the way it does this is a very nice watch ::love::::love::
    I might as well call dibs while I can :D

10. janice&fred Jul 8, 2020

During my many years living and working in the Philippines I have seen many tropical brown and faded dials exactly like the one shown in this thread. It's the real deal and faded from extended out door use. My guess is this watch was owned and worn by someone associated with the maritime trade or scuba diving, which are both huge in those sun scorched south pacific islands. I think every one of our tropical watches came from a captain or some other officer position on ships. That and some sort of military officer. Loads of old faded GMT's are still to be found there as well.

11. fergusm Jul 9, 2020

Really beautiful. Congrats!! My 16800 says hello!

2C930F58-4512-4800-BFB1-D18AE471649E.jpeg
    Faz, erpin9, CPRwatch and 2 others like this.
  12. killer67 Jul 9, 2020

Was curious to know the first 3 of the serial if possible. Is there a range for these sapphire tropicals or just more geographically and UV/sunlight based?

erpin9 likes this.
  13. erpin9 Jul 9, 2020

Stunning bezel.

14. erpin9 Jul 9, 2020

Mine is in the 8.6m range

15. Faz Jul 9, 2020

Hmmm. Honestly, isn't Omega (especially Speedmasters) subject to the same phenomenon? Let's call a spade a spade. We could add other brands as well.

ChiefMark likes this.
  16. ChiefMark Jul 9, 2020

Couldn't agree more. I do think it's most prevalent in the Rolex crowd, but that's likely do to Rolex being the king. But yes, Omega Speedmasters in particular are described as having a great patina when the dial has faded to brown or grey and the lume has turned tan or brown.

To each their own, like I said. :)

erpin9 likes this.
  17. MikeMan2727 Jul 9, 2020

Isn't that an oxymoron? :)

Cool looking watch though! I like the color and wear on the bezel.

erpin9 and bigsom like this.
  18. jaguar11 Jul 9, 2020

Very sweet. Wear in good health.

erpin9 likes this.
  19. erpin9 Jul 10, 2020

Yes the Omega Speedy tropical dials are really beautiful and more consistent.

My Speedy tropicals

image.jpeg

watch3s, ChiefMark, nzshadow and 2 others like this.
  20. janice&fred Jul 10, 2020

Not taking anything away from Rolex and Lord knows we have a few in our collection, but I have found that the longer and deeper one gets into the watch collecting arena the less a good majority of top collectors focus on Rolex. I think it is also geographical as well but mostly depends on what kind of collector. I think real "active" collectors and dealers are prone to Rolex as they are easy to trade in. However I know some very well regarded collectors especially in the tri-state area that bypass Rolex for the most part and seek the more exotic and not necessarily meaning all are expensive. One very humorous NYC collector has always coached me that "Rolex is a hillbilly watch" and he is far from alone in his view. Of course I don't completely agree but I see his point. All one has to do to see his point is peruse some of the online "personal collections" of certain watch forums and hodinkee as well. Most Rolex collections, although presented as "personal collecting journeys" look like everyone else's Rolex collection. Just follow the leader with a bunch of daytonas, over-rated 1655's and a few subs and GMT's. In my opinion Rolex is far from king.

watch3s, IDXM and erpin9 like this.