Forums Latest Members
  1. berrychlossom Nov 3, 2021

After getting a kick out of fixing the Lady Polerouter and sourcing the big crown for my own 204612/2 I think I found my calling.
    I'm now attempting fixing a TDMP. These are some my favorite vintage UGs and some have very interesting dial designs, like this one @Dre has or had.
    553633-356125793a0bbc3041c425ba4ea2e7ed.jpeg

That's why when I saw a listing on ebay for a dial and movement I jumped on it. It was kind of an impulse decision but here's what I bought.
    s-l1600.jpeg s-l16002.jpeg
    I knew the moonphase disc and day disc are not correct but I didn't mind it that much. I also bought another one that was clearly a redial with wrong hands but had a nice case, just like Dre's.
    s-l16003.jpeg s-l16004.jpeg

Now that I have both of these in hand, I'm gonna try to switch the dials first.
    After opening the case back and unscrewing the movement, it took me some time to realize that the movement comes out from the front. So I removed the movement from the case, removed the hands carefully and stashed them away. Luckily I can use this moonphase disc but I still need a Spanish day disc.
    IMG_9312.jpeg

Sigh of relief that the dials are the same size and fit together. I'm already in love with it and want to wear it even without the hands.
    Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 8.53.47 PM.png

Now I wanted to ask your opinion on the hands. I think the subdial hands from the redialed watch are actually correct and usable (two blue steel and one red). Does anyone know what kind /color the hour and minute hands should be? Dre's seems to be gold, but that one is a copper dial, not sure if gold on gold is what it's meant to be. I have a feeling that the correct hands should match the case material, therefore steel. But I've also seen examples with blue steel.
    Anyway I appreciate the feedback and let me know if you have parts to spare ;)

Edited Nov 4, 2021
    Mark020 likes this.
  2. bgrisso Nov 5, 2021

It's a beautiful deco dial, one of my favorites. I regret selling the copper one. It comes in time only as well.....

P1010007_adj.jpg
    CaptainWinsor and berrychlossom like this.
  3. bgrisso Nov 5, 2021

Here are some other examples (not mine). The copper dial is the only example Ive seen to date, and had wine/merlot colored hands, so I wouldn't use that as a guide. I think that either blue, gold, or silver could be appropriate. I don't think it's easy to find cal 291 hands, you might have to go with what you can find. I think the subdial hands from the redial watch are probably correct, hard to tell from the one pic.

Good luck !

DSC01032.JPG IMG_0083.jpg
    martinc and berrychlossom like this.
  4. berrychlossom Nov 5, 2021

Oh wow! I didn't know that watch belonged to you at some point. Copper is beautiful
    Thanks for posting the other examples, I think based on what I'm seeing either steel or gold hands should work. Only if I could find a pair now :)

bgrisso and Mark020 like this.