Transitional Speedy.

Since nobody seemed to answer your original question... yes, the case looks correct for a 68 transitional, in particular, that thin side case surface is typical for 68's. I generally agree with the consensus as to condition and that I too would pass on this one and look for something a bit better condition, but everything has a price, so perhaps hit the seller with a real aggressive low offer and see what happens :).
it's a little bit confusing with taxes and currencies and which country your living in, bargain price in one place not in an other. What should i hit him with? 3500$. And thanks.

Guys and Gals!
It is Friday, and the weekend is soon here, so why not trying an assessment on this Bad Boy?
:eek:

Dial:
Lots of blemishes, and also oil spots,
and there could be more that is not showing on the few pictures....
It looks very ”dry”
So Really Poor

Lume:
Most of the indices have missing lume.
Poor/Fair

The hands are serviceparts.

Bezel:
A replacement, it should be a DON.
A few dings and scratches, and some flaking.
Good minus

The case:
Lots of craters, scratches and not so appealing.
The pictures are not the best, but I do think that it has had a polish (or maybe an easy watchmakers cloth).
No full pictures of the caseback….the sides are barely visible….
Fair minus

Crown and pushers are serviceparts.
And the crystal is a possible replacement?

The movement:
the serial nr 2655xxxx puts it correct for a 68.
No movement pictures, but serviced a few years ago, so hopefully ok?
Lets put it as a good??

The verdict??

A Speedy with lots of serviceparts (the original parts are maybe maybe usable…??).
A dial with lumeplots that are not very sexy….and lots of blemishes and spots..
A worn and used case/caseback with lots of dings and scratches.

This one would be a poor plus or maybe a fair minus.

Using our beloved Price Chart (from Speedmaster101 @Spacefruit - once again thanks…!!)

Poor 3300 $ / 3000€
Fair 4000 $ / 3650 €

So maybe 3500 $ / 3200 €

But you also have the: Do You Like The Watchometer!
This one doesn't give any good vibes at all = Very Low!

And a service is upcoming, and if the original parts will be used again (if possible…)?
And a correct bezel…
And a possible relume?
:rolleyes:
This could add up to a large chunk of money!

To be honest, 861 movements are serviceable in Sweden,
but going for a relume and vintageparts could be very challenging!

For reference, here is a lovely 68 that was sold here on the Forum (sold very fast)!
Compare with this one, and also calculate the total cost!

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...transitional-great-condition-chf-7500.167985/

Good luck with your Speedyhunt!

And have a nice weekend OF-gang!!

IMG_0055.JPG

Like 3
Guys and Gals!
It is Friday, and the weekend is soon here, so why not trying an assessment on this Bad Boy?
:eek:

Dial:
Lots of blemishes, and also oil spots,
and there could be more that is not showing on the few pictures....
It looks very ”dry”
So Really Poor

Lume:
Most of the indices have missing lume.
Poor/Fair

The hands are serviceparts.

Bezel:
A replacement, it should be a DON.
A few dings and scratches, and some flaking.
Good minus

The case:
Lots of craters, scratches and not so appealing.
The pictures are not the best, but I do think that it has had a polish (or maybe an easy watchmakers cloth).
No full pictures of the caseback….the sides are barely visible….
Fair minus

Crown and pushers are serviceparts.
And the crystal is a possible replacement?

The movement:
the serial nr 2655xxxx puts it correct for a 68.
No movement pictures, but serviced a few years ago, so hopefully ok?
Lets put it as a good??

The verdict??

A Speedy with lots of serviceparts (the original parts are maybe maybe usable…??).
A dial with lumeplots that are not very sexy….and lots of blemishes and spots..
A worn and used case/caseback with lots of dings and scratches.

This one would be a poor plus or maybe a fair minus.

Using our beloved Price Chart (from Speedmaster101 @Spacefruit - once again thanks…!!)

Poor 3300 $ / 3000€
Fair 4000 $ / 3650 €

So maybe 3500 $ / 3200 €

But you also have the: Do You Like The Watchometer!
This one doesn't give any good vibes at all = Very Low!

And a service is upcoming, and if the original parts will be used again (if possible…)?
And a correct bezel…
And a possible relume?
:rolleyes:
This could add up to a large chunk of money!

To be honest, 861 movements are serviceable in Sweden,
but going for a relume and vintageparts could be very challenging!

For reference, here is a lovely 68 that was sold here on the Forum (sold very fast)!
Compare with this one, and also calculate the total cost!

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...transitional-great-condition-chf-7500.167985/

Good luck with your Speedyhunt!

And have a nice weekend OF-gang!!

IMG_0055.JPG
Thanks for your detailed answer, appreciate it, and i not going to defend this bad boy more than i think it's rather harse to put it under poor.

Poor= Not working, tells time twice a day, damage dial and bezel, corroded movement, missing parts, heavely scarred case.
And there should be a difference between a Speedy for 3500$ and almost 11000$.

Don't know if i would wear an expensive watch with a almost sixty years old crystal, brittle, and yes it's replaced with a new one that have the logo in the centre (Old one is kept). Some more crappy pics on the movement and back case.
7.jpg 8.jpg

Like 1
Here we go again, an other -68, a little less crappy pics this time but still not so good, better dial and lume on this one, hands maybe original, pusher and crown are replaced as far as i can se.
Guess the case and the back have seen a polish or two, looks like a new bezel, unfortunately no pics on the movement so no serialnr.
A bracelet is included. So what are the verdict on this one? Price 5750$.
Kind regards.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg ad367emz.jpg

Here we go again, an other -68, a little less crappy pics this time but still not so good, better dial and lume on this one, hands maybe original, pusher and crown are replaced as far as i can se.
Guess the case and the back have seen a polish or two, looks like a new bezel, unfortunately no pics on the movement so no serialnr.
Kind regards.
Service bezel, terrible case. Dial is meh again. Wear around the subdials, I am sure photos hiding more problems. Pass.

Like 1
I think it has potential. If you budget $1200 for a bezel and service it then you have a correct but decayed watch - which when the hands are adjusted will look nice.

However its all down to price. I would want it all in for $3500 and that doesn't leave a lot of room.

No one I know is offering transitionals for less than $4000 so I think there needs to be a coming to terms with reality by all sellers.

This is a poor watch - if bought cheap enough it's going to be highly rewarding, full of character.

But it has to be cheap, and no one is selling cheap - yet.

How much would this get on eBay right now, with good photos?

I would bid $2400. I suspect a naive or drunk buyer might bid $3000.

What say the forum?

Like 6
Kind regards.

Service bracelet :(

Like 1
If you can possibly expand your budget, there’s a very nice honest Ed White for sale from a Swiss based forum member in the private sales section right now. Take advantage of the slow market…

Like 1
OP - as someone who has also been tempted by “cheap” transitionals, I’d recommend holding out for a better example. As Spacefruit pointed out, the market for Speedmasters is weak at present. As such, you may be able to purchase a much nicer piece for around the same ask as the second 68ST you have inquired about.

It does not make sense financially to purchase a poor transitional with the aim to restore it (ask me how I know lol). DON bezels and tritium hand sets in good nick are expensive, and finding a correct dial in excellent condition is nearly impossible. Never mind the additional cost of a correct bracelet (if so desired).

I get the allure of the 68ST! However, if your budget doesn’t allow for the purchase of a quality example, I’d suggest you either wait until you can afford one or purchase an excellent example of another vintage Speedmaster reference.

Like 1
If you can possibly expand your budget, there’s a very nice honest Ed White for sale from a Swiss based forum member in the private sales section right now. Take advantage of the slow market…
Thank you for the tip, but it's way beyond my budget, 12K$ and a unknown service history so presumably +1K$ so i'll pass that.

OP - as someone who has also been tempted by “cheap” transitionals, I’d recommend holding out for a better example. As Spacefruit pointed out, the market for Speedmasters is weak at present. As such, you may be able to purchase a much nicer piece for around the same ask as the second 68ST you have inquired about.

It does not make sense financially to purchase a poor transitional with the aim to restore it (ask me how I know lol). DON bezels and tritium hand sets in good nick are expensive, and finding a correct dial in excellent condition is nearly impossible. Never mind the additional cost of a correct bracelet (if so desired).

I get the allure of the 68ST! However, if your budget doesn’t allow for the purchase of a quality example, I’d suggest you either wait until you can afford one or purchase an excellent example of another vintage Speedmaster reference.
It doesn't need to be transitional, but i like the look of a step dial with A M L and 861 is a little better for my wallet than a 321 so that's were i started.
And i don't care if the watch not are in exellent condition and i can't afford it either, but i don't want to have a complete junk watch on my wrist or a franken, i'm not looking for a safe queen, more a daily wearer so dings are okey. And i can wear it on a nice leather strap instead of an correct braclet.
So i'm still learning and keep on looking and i appreciate your answers, all of you.
Regards.

I completely get the desire for an applied logo Speedmaster but condition is paramount for me.
I’d much rather have a ‘good +’ -69 or -71 with painted logo and step dial, than a ‘poor/running’ -68

Like 5
I completely get the desire for an applied logo Speedmaster but condition is paramount for me.
I’d much rather have a ‘good +’ -69 or -71 with painted logo and step dial, than a ‘poor/running’ -68
I agree with you, but my pockets are not so deep so i'll be satisfied with a good running movement and rest maybe fair, but i won't say no to a nice early -70.

Like 1