Transitional 1997 Speedmaster: T Swiss Made T dial + Luminova. Legit after all?

TL;DR: I’ve found a second example of a transitional ’97 Speedy with T Swiss Made T dial and luminova. Is the combination legit after all?

Over the years, we’ve seen a few discussions here about the existence of transitional Speedmasters with T Swiss Made T dials but luminova instead of tritium. According to MWO, the switch occurred in 1997, roughly at the same time at which the Speedy reference changed from 3590.50 to 3570.50. MWO also states that the 3570.50s from that time could come with:

-a gilt-plated cal 861 or a rhodium-plated 1861
-tritium dial with “T Swiss Made T” or luminova dial with “Swiss Made”, with the former in the serial range from 48.339.xxx to 48.385.xxx.

The earliest thread I could find regarding the topic, albeit referencing MkIIs, is this one by @Lonestar :
https://omegaforums.net/threads/more-education-t-swiss-made-t-always-tritium.37052/

A T-Swiss-Made-T dial with luminova, so seemed to be the majority opinion, indicated either a redial or a relume. Then, in 2021, this sale ad by @robinhook popped up in our classifieds:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/3-5...transitional-ref-3570-50.127765/#post-1726872

Here’s a picture taken from the thread, credit to @robinhook of course:

1168973-b7510ee19d00990ce91c87b88b05dc4c.jpg

His example is exactly the aforementioned configuration that has been considered by most to be a myth. The comments underneath the sale post also convey quite a bit of skepticism. The serial of his is 48.365.845, so it’s right there in the aforementioned range of tritium 3570.50s.

Now, I’ve come across another one. Serial of mine is 48.366.686, so they are within a few hundred examples of each other. I figured that a second one makes it much less likely to be a coincidence/incorrect and that it might be interesting to revive the matter. I’ll provide whatever info I can to clear this up, let me know if you need anything – and yes, I should buy a UV light eventually. The watch came to me in excellent condition, it has obviously been worn very sparingly. Also came in a full set, even including stickers with matching serial on the outter box and the hang tag. The movement is a 1861 that’s clean, but winding is very stiff as it hasn’t been serviced possibly ever. I emphasize the “possibly” as this we cannot be certain of, of course. Regardless: Not saying this to glorify the piece but basically to say all the signs are there it has not been fiddled with. Also, a relume on such a young watch? At the very least unlikely. The lume responds like luminova, doesn’t get a bright glow as quickly as my ’86 tritium Speedy but keeps it much longer. After a good period of exposure to light, I stored it in a dark drawer and it showed a light but easily noticeable glow even after 2 hours.

IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1582.JPG IMG_1695.JPEG IMG_1696.JPEG

Here are a few close-ups of the lume plots, do let me know your thoughts please. The quality of the application appears to be in line with Omega standards from that time and, well, it just isn’t a redial. The only thing that I have no explanation for is the tiny, shiny black spots around some of the indices, especially noticeable on the 12 o clock one.

IMG_1705.JPG IMG_1703.JPG IMG_1704.JPG IMG_1706.JPG IMG_1708.JPG IMG_1710.JPG IMG_1711.JPG

Bottom line to me: My gut says it’s legit.

Curious to hear what you say!

Like 12
No idea, but this is well known in the Rolex world so it wouldn't shock me if Omega also used up tritium-labeled dial blanks the same way. Late 90s dials labeled with a "T" but with luminova are called "tritinova" dials.

Like 7
No idea, but this is well known in the Rolex world so it wouldn't shock me if Omega also used up tritium-labeled dial blanks the same way. Late 90s dials labeled with a "T" but with luminova are called "tritinova" dials.

True, but I figured that some oddities from Rolex wouldn’t be accepted as an argument towards the legitimacy of Speedies around here :D

Like 5
Also why is that one spring bar not fitted properly?

Was in the process of reattaching the bracelet when the sun came out for a minute, wanted to make the best of the light. It's not on the wrist like that.

Like 1
Several 3570 and 3572 with a T SWISS MADE T and luminova lume have been observed, serial between approximatively 48.365.xxx and 48.385.xxx.
This specific dials have been discussed on a french forum with the authors of the MWO.

The supposition is that at the end of 97, beginning of 98, the luminova technology is here and Omega still has some T SWISS MADE T dials in stock... Better using them than throwing away!

Like 7
Thank you, I couldnt find anything conclusive on OF. Would you mind providing the link to the thread on the French forum?

Like 1
Cheers, appreciate it - I'll have to create an account first, but will do so.

OF hits come up pretty high on a google search, and when I conducted mine all I found were the aforementioned two threads with people expressing their doubts. I figured that if the common consent ends up being that these dials are, in fact, legit, that it might be nice to have all the information in one thread, as I'm sure I won't be the last person googling this. That's why I asked you for the link, not because I don't believe you. :)

Like 2
Don’t worry. I didn’t take it this way, I would have ask the link too :D

Like 1
As a member of the 1968 Transitional Speedmaster Owner's Club can we call them something else? A Speedy Switch-a-roo? Lume-a-looper?
Thank you for your consideration.

BTW- cool watch

Like 3
I very well may have another example of this. The story checks out as mine is a 3572.50 that falls exactly in that 48.365.xxx to 48.385.xxx. range.

48381XXX to be exact.

PXL_20221203_173030640.PORTRAIT.jpg
Screenshot_20221217-082157~2.png

I can still read the time in the morning when I wake up which would certainly hint towards it being luminova.
Edited:

Like 1
My opinion is that the watch is legit..anyway i wanted to say that i liked the pictures very much. The details were awesome.

Spent some more time reading into this, including the thread on forumamontres (thanks to perenowell)...

Given the specific serial range in question, as well as the transition from Trit to Luminova that happened at the time, not to mention Omega's "parts binning" practices, it makes perfect sense these are transitional T dials with luminova. It seems extremely unlikely there would be this many perfectly relumed T-dials in this specific serial range that have been switched to Luminova, not to mention.... why on Earth would anyone do this?

After seeing the numerous examples on here and also reading the thread it seems pretty conclusive this was indeed a transitional dial sold by Omega. If you read the article the MO guy(s) state the updated information will be reflected in the 4th edition MO... Enough said!
Edited:

Like 3
Hopefully I don't get in trouble for this, but I've attached a translated version of the forum post from forumamontres.

Luckily I am Canadian and speak French but for those of you who don't ;)

Mods, please let me know if this is not allowed and I will remove.

Like 2
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I’ll add my watch as a data point. It’s a rodium-plated 3572.50 with the T-Swiss Made-T dial but luminova hands and indices. The serial is 48375xxx. The warranty card is Japanese and has a sale date of 23 May 1998, so it would appear the watch was likely manufactured in q1 or q2 1998

IMG_2598.jpeg

Like 4