Forums Latest Members

Toilette, Bowlette, Parfum, Barfum...

1. SC1 Mar 14, 2023

Holy shitake is the rabbit hole deep AF with things to spray on your dermis.

The Wife has set me to task to source two new scents for her and two for me (beside my signature scents of "La Pain de Assé" and "Dickbomb") so I have been googling top ten lists, hitting perfume house websites and then finally the steep curve of the Fragrance subreddit. Have to declare, it is deep and seemingly endless.

To date I have plundered away appx $850 in .5 to 1.5ml "samples"... around 20 for my wife and about 18 for your's truly.

Wife hates everything I've ordered with the exception of a dupe/clone ~ which ironically was the single cheapest purchase so far. And for me, I have vastly disliked all the "popular" "must have" scents and only liked two that I've stumbled across (and those weren't even anywhere near a top 50 listing).

I can say this, beyond the anal-fleecing cost of high end eau de toilettes and even more costly eau de parfums, there are a shit-ton and most hit too hard -- over the top strong.

Collectively as a couple the wife and me have pretty much not be down with anything from Dior, Creed (I did like Green Irish Tweed and Tamberone but the cost is a hard "Fuck no") and Yves Saint Laurent: Sauvage (aka: what I've taken to calling "Johnny Depp's Sausage) made my eyes & nose drip more snot than being exposed to mustard gas... and my wife said when I had it on, "You smell like an insecure Bugatti dealer -- go shower or sleep elsewhere."

Besides Old Spice, CK1, Hai Karate and Brut what are some of your favorites?

Pun likes this.
  2. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 14, 2023

My current aftershave choice is L'eau Dissey by Issey Miyake.

The wife likes j'adore by dior

ATWG and SC1 like this.
  3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 14, 2023

Hmmmm, wife has had you acquire 38 or so samples, and she makes the call on good or bad. I would have turned the acquisition side of this over to my wife approximately 38 samples ago.

Edited Mar 14, 2023
  4. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Mar 14, 2023

You’re both very brave.

noelekal and SC1 like this.
  5. wagudc Mar 14, 2023

I like this:
    upload_2023-3-14_13-14-42.png

It reminds me of the pipe tobacco my dad used to smoke:
    [​IMG]

6. DrmexicoII Mar 14, 2023

For what it's worth my two scents of choice are Penhaligons Endymion and Creed Irish Green Tweed. They're not cheap but my problem was finding a scent I liked AND stayed around longer than 5 minutes. It's so individual though - all depends on how it smells on you. Sounds obvious but the same scent changes so much person to person.

Pun, Davidt and SC1 like this.
  7. Charlemagne1333 Mar 14, 2023

+1 for Endymion.
    I also use Bleu de Chanel.

Pun, DrmexicoII and SC1 like this.
  8. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Mar 14, 2023

I have been trying to get my wife to wear Eau De Hoppes for years. Work in progress. It smells so good! A36E1D7E-0AAB-4577-B9B8-E69B58391417.jpeg

9. SC1 Mar 14, 2023

You don't know my wife... she tasks me with tasks that are mostly impossible so she can then say "You are failing me, keep trying though" -- similar to my bank account.

Watch my Whisky, Syzygy and wagudc like this.
  10. Donn Chambers Mar 14, 2023

Creed Irish Tweed is worth the cost — if you can get it at a discount from a gray market dealer. If you like the scent but don’t want to pay the price, try Davidoff Cool Water. It’s a similar scent profile.

others I like and wear are Bleu de Chanel Parfum and Guerlain l’homme Ideal.

my wife likes old school fragrances - Chanel No. 5 and Guerlain Shalimar. She also likes Tiffany and Co eau de Parfum.

For what it’s worth, I’ve received the most compliments from women when I’ve worn Dior Sauvage. But I’ve gone off it because it’s everywhere.

Pun, JwRosenthal and SC1 like this.
  11. SC1 Mar 14, 2023

I'm waiting for The Crüe to arrive and chime in-

@Mad Dog @JwRosenthal @Aroxx @pdxleaf

...I feel like at least two of them wear Love's Baby Soft or Chanel #5 and don't own up to it (yet).

Mad Dog likes this.
  12. SC1 Mar 14, 2023

Yep, when I had Johnny's Sausage on me I got many compliments but it not only destroyed my sinuses & annoyed The Wife it felt about as original as being at the mall on Black Friday.

Syzygy and Pun like this.
  13. SC1 Mar 14, 2023

@Donn Chambers ...because I have spent far too much in the Cologne Zone lately I can say (if you're curious)-

try a sample of both ALT Fragrances and Oil Perfumery's "impression" of Irish Tweed... they are insanely ball's accurate for a fraction of the coin.

14. sheepdoll Mar 14, 2023

Channel No 9 for me (My aunts, and my cousins) My aunt had to fly to Paris regularly to get some. Spilled some in my tool drawer.

Syrte, Vitezi and SC1 like this.
  15. ghce Mar 14, 2023

Not sure what to make of that one, sometimes it's best to say less than more :D

sheepdoll and SC1 like this.
  16. ATWG Mar 14, 2023

My go to as well, been wearing it for 10+yrs

Gav1967 and SC1 like this.
  17. SC1 Mar 14, 2023

Well 9 is an odd number so...

ghce likes this.
  18. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 14, 2023

Hoppe's No. 9. For 50-something years now, my choice.

Really, while several mens colognes are kept on hand, I mostly wear Old Spice. I acquired a 1950 vintage full travel size bottle a few years back, from way back in the years Shulton distributed Old Spice. Its fragrance is quite nice, a bit different than the current iteration of Old Spice, which is still acceptable and evokes the same vibes as the older good stuff. Mrs. noelekal likes Old Spice best. Besides, Old Spice goes well with old watches.
    [​IMG]

She's the one who has chosen the other colognes with which I am armed when froo-froo is required.

Mrs. noelekal has always preferred Joy. She thinks the late vintage Joy is changed from the original formulation. She has a supply of the former though. Joy also goes well with vintage watches.
    [​IMG]

Edited Mar 14, 2023
    Pun, Duracuir1 and SC1 like this.
  19. Aroxx Sets his watch Mar 14, 2023

I was going to stay out of this one as I have absolutely nothing to add. And I already went off the rails in one thread today. I think that's the limit.

20. pdxleaf ... Mar 14, 2023

Not much of value to offer, (which hasn't stopped me before.)

I have a pint of something I bought on sale maybe 15 years ago. That leaves me to survive on my winsome personality. I probably need to invest in some of the suggested fragrances.

My wife on the other hand, has shelves ("these are my shelves, don't touch them you'll disorganize them") of lotions. Big bottles, small bottles (the most expensive), for every body part plus doubling up on body parts depending the time of day.

We regularly get little boxes in the mail that look like watches. Very exciting, except they've got $500 worth of lotion. She's turned my daughters into lotion junkies too.

I'm not exaggerating. I ignore it and try not to think about and certainly never, ever, make any comments about WTF is all that. I just smile and look at my watches.

KeithS, sheepdoll, Duracuir1 and 3 others like this.