Forums Latest Members
  1. Ginoespo Jun 10, 2020

Hi all,
    Now before you all bash me I'm a complete Omega virgin. I've never been able to afford anything like a top end watch so after doing some research, hopefully enough, I've taken the plunge and bought a 1990 Constellation day date. The outer dial with the roman numerals has faded in places as expected for a watch of this age. So, the question is, would you bother to have the numbers repainted or leave it as the Patina is more desirable ?

Opinions or facts appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 10, 2020

Provide photos and you'll likely get an informed response.

DaveK and Ginoespo like this.
  3. Lucasssssss Jun 10, 2020

Pictures needed.

But I think (almost) everyone on here would say leave it as is, if it is only minor fading. An alternative if it bothers you is a service dial, as the watch is only 30 years old, they may be available.

But your the one wearing it! What do you think about it?

Ginoespo likes this.
  4. sonicosa Jun 10, 2020

Hello and welcome to the forum. Pictures of the watch would help members give you advice, but generally, repainting a watch is not preferable and will negatively affect the watch's value.

Ginoespo likes this.
  5. Ginoespo Jun 10, 2020

OmegaPic3.jpg OmegaPic1.jpg OmegaPic2.jpg Sorry, Here is the watch in question. Apologies for the poor quality. OmegaPic1.jpg OmegaPic2.jpg

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 10, 2020

Looks to me like the dial is fine. I don't think touching up the outer ring is an issue.

Ginoespo and Lucasssssss like this.
  7. Ginoespo Jun 10, 2020

Fair enough. Less is more I suppose.

Thanks.

8. Ginoespo Jun 10, 2020

My initial thought was to leave as is. It was something my wife mentioned.

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 10, 2020

Touching up the numerals on the bezel seems wholly appropriate for a dress watch such as this.

10. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jun 10, 2020

Looks fine to me too

11. Maganator Jun 10, 2020

If it was me I would touch up the numerals on the bezel - that is just what I would prefer aesthetically.

I do not think you touching it up will negatively impact the value of the watch in any major way.

12. JwRosenthal Jun 10, 2020

+3 on touching up the bezel, done this on a few old divers where they were recessed and it was just a matter of infill- makes a world of difference.