Forums Latest Members
  1. jeppehh Jun 22, 2020

Hi all

This is one of those threads that could be answered with a 'go with what you like' answer. But I would still love your subjective thoughts and opinions.

I have a 165.0324 build coming up and I am considering getting the dial and hands relumed to have a vintage look. This is of course because I like the look of vintage tritium much more than the modern superluminova, but I'm worried that I might in my heart find it a tad 'dishonest'. Like I'm trying to make it something that it isn't.

I've added some pictures (stolen from the FS section here) as examples.

So to relume or not?

300_relume.jpg 300_Org_lume.jpg

2. Seaborg Jun 22, 2020

I would not relume it.
    If you do so, you should relume the bezel as well :thumbsup:

3. TIMElyBehaviour Jun 22, 2020

Mate, I just wouldn’t. It adds to the charm of the piece. Being a vintage I wouldn’t dive with it either.

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 22, 2020

Eh? It is a brand new recreation using a SL lume dial, the only thing about it that is vintage will be the movement. Assuming it has been correctly assembled and pressure tested, diving with it would be just fine. His will look like the one in the lower photo by the way.

It would look more charming maybe with an aged looking lume but how far do you want to go with it? As noted above, the bezel will still look brand new and I am not sure how easy it will be to age that, short of scratching it up with sand paper, which I wouldn't personally do.

watchyouwant and connieseamaster like this.
  5. vitriol Jun 22, 2020

Go for it and do a re-lume including bezel insert (if possible).

6. killer67 Jun 22, 2020

I don’t dislike the color from the factory so I would just leave as is. Hard to go back if you regret it

7. jeppehh Jun 22, 2020

Thanks for the thoughts.

Good points about the bezel. It does look a little put-together when the bezel doesn't match the lume in the hands and the dial.

The reason I'm getting this is that I need a more moden watch for water sports and all my vintage watches are not water compatible. So maybe I should just enjoy the vintage lume on my vintage watches and leave this one as it's was intended.

michael22, SwissMe, WurstEver and 2 others like this.
  8. wagudc Jun 22, 2020

I would relume it, but in a much more subtle way. The example you posted is over the top to me. The apparent age of the lume looks out of place on the watch. I would go with more of a creamy off white. You could spend some time here:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/post-your-vintage-sm300-pic-s-here.80492/

9. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 22, 2020

While I prefer the aged lume of original '60s originals, I'm not sure the bezel of the Watchco could be made to match. Without a match the watch would look contrived.

watchyouwant and wagudc like this.
  10. JwRosenthal Jun 22, 2020

I actually like the the lume color on the new Omega parts (Watchcos)- it’s not trying to be something it’s not. I would say either enjoy it for what it is, or sell it and put the money towards an original that’s to your liking. There are many (like myself) who would be happy with the fresh looking dial/bezel.

89-0, WurstEver, OmeGez and 2 others like this.
  11. jeppehh Jun 22, 2020

I think that’s a valid point. If the bezel can’t be relumed it would be less of a contrast to go with a more subtle “patina”.

Agreed. That’s the major issue to me.

This is not going to be a substitute to an original. This is a substitute for a modern tool watch that I can use when diving, sailing, surfing etc. This is bought to be a watch I don’t have to worry about.

OmeGez likes this.
  12. JwRosenthal Jun 22, 2020

Gotcha. Then as you said in your OP, it’s entirely subjective and ultimately your choice. As you have mentioned you prefer the vintage Lume look, and this is a custom build and not an extant watch- then I see no issue whatsoever with you doing the Fauxtina- hell, Omega is doing fauxtina so why shouldn’t you?!
    As mentioned, the one you posted is way too dark for the fresh bezel- just a pale goldish yellow like 90’s tritium would make it look great and not out of place with the new bezel.

wagudc likes this.
  13. SkunkPrince Jun 22, 2020

Mine has the white lume. Love it. I wouldn't change it, why add to the expense for a different color?

Thrasher36 likes this.
  14. Socks Jun 22, 2020

I like the crisp look of a new 165.0324. I also like the lived in look of a period piece. I don’t think you should mix the two. (Mine says hello)
    CE8F1CC0-12EB-42DC-BABB-4FE7E5DB1453.jpeg

noelekal, WurstEver, jeppehh and 2 others like this.
  15. Thrasher36 Jun 22, 2020

Mine says NO to Re Lume!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. jaguar11 Jun 22, 2020

Go for relume. I like the picture you have posted. Have some fun if you like and there is nothing to lose in terms of originality. Either way enjoy!!!!!!

17. Peter_from_NL Jun 22, 2020

Out of interest. How does resuming a bezel work????

18. sonicosa Jun 22, 2020

Turn it a few clicks, take a break, sip your beverage, come back and turn it some more :D

levkov and watchyouwant like this.
  19. JwRosenthal Jun 22, 2020

I have a friend who has experimented with an “homage” watch with glass bezel- it required him taking the insert out, carefully removing the white lume and reapplying the backing lume with new color-he broke the insert on the first go and had to order another. In the end it looked pretty good- but I don’t think he would ever want to try that again.

sonicosa likes this.
  20. 10thSquare Jun 22, 2020

I have to say that I prefer to have a watch that looks like it just came fresh from the store in 1960-something. I'd stick with the existing lume. You can always change it down the line if you don't like it.

4570F08F-8AB5-4682-B421-32BF52DBE983.jpeg

WurstEver and JwRosenthal like this.