To mod or not to mod?

Hi all,

I'm a long term Speedmaster Pro (311.30.42.30.01.005) owner who also owns an original Omega Mitsukoshi dial and hands that I bought back in the day.

Originally, I bought the dial and hands with the intention of buying another cheap donor Speedmaster Pro and swapping the dial over, so that I could own two Speedmaster Pros, one normal and one with the Mitsukoshi dial.

I then got cold feet for a number of reasons. The main one was that I couldn't bring myself to deface a Speedmaster Pro, even as ubiquitous as they are.

Fast forward a few years and I still have the sealed Mitsukoshi dial burning a hole in my watchbox and an opportunity has opened up in my collection for a quality white dialed watch.

The question is, do I now go through with the original plan? If so, what sort of donor watch? I haven't got a Sapphire Sandwich (311.30.42.30.01.006) version but realise I may be making a pig's ear out of two silk purses.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

It's the type of mod that can be easily reversed, you're not defacing or ruining anything. If you are hung up on the idea sell the dial and hands and move on. Make someone else happy. If you do decide to use the dial I'd pick a late model hesalite crystal watch to keep in the spirir of the original.
Edited:

Thank you.

Great points!

The only things that can't be reversed, as I see it, is a) I cannot reseal the original Omega dial case and b) if a watchmaker damages the dial or hands.

Thank you.

Great points!

The only things that can't be reversed, as I see it, is a) I cannot reseal the original Omega dial case and b) if a watchmaker damages the dial or hands.

A) If you have the Speedmaster serviced, the original seal would be gone anyway.

B) This shouldn’t be an issue for any competent watchmaker.

Go for it. The Mitsukoshi Speedmaster is one of the all time greats.

IMG_1752.jpeg

Thank you.

That's a beauty!

How do you find the legibility? One of the things I most like about my normal Speedmaster Professional is the legibility.

I saw a Mitsukoshi mod where the owner used black hands. I bought the original Mitsukoshi hands but feel that black may be the way to go from a legilbility point of view.

There is no denying that the silverish dial of the Mitsukoshi is less legible than the black dial/white hands of the standard, that's just reality. All whitish dials are like that. But I don't consider it any sort of dealbreaker, it is what it is. I don't have any issues reading the dial on my conversion. I believe you are overthinking this and still trying to come up with reasons not to do the mod. Any time you open a watch and touch a dial and hands you run the risk of damage, but this should be a minimal issue for a qualified watch repairer. Just do it, this is one of the great dials along with the Apollo 11 35th and Tokyo 2020, you won't regret it.
Edited:

Thank you.

Great points!

I think that he means the value of the opened dial package is less than if it were unopened….
That said I have had the mod and loved it. Traded away in a fit of foolishness
IMG_2223.jpeg

I think that he means the value of the opened dial package is less than if it were unopened….
Agree that is probably what he meant, but I don't think the value would be that diminished. A near perfect, but used, Mitsukoshi dial is still valuable because Omega restricts their sale now.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated!

Yes, I am referring to the sealed package of the dial. And yes, I am overthinking this!

I've always loved the look of the Apollo 11 and Tokyo dials and am looking for a donor as I type.

What would you go for? I have no intent on trying to pass off the finished article as one of the 300 but something like a 3570.50.00 from 2003 would be the correct way to go, although I do have a hankering for a transparent case back.

Or is it just the case of going as cheap as chips?

Thanks guys. Much appreciated!

What would you go for? I have no intent on trying to pass off the finished article as one of the 300 but something like a 3570.50.00 from 2003 would be the correct way to go, although I do have a hankering for a transparent case back.

This:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/235230268340
but only if it stays under 3k .... and only if you see this in the next few minutes. Its a few years later but a good candidate as a donor for a mod IMO

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Or is it just the case of going as cheap as chips?
Unless you are seriously restricted on funds I wouldn't go for the 'cheap as chips' route, a cheap purchase often means expensive repairs to bring it up to spec, and often in a banged up case or bezel. It's such a nice dial that it deserves a reasonable case and movement, not something that 'just works'. Yes, I would go for something in the ca. 2003 to 2019 range. You can go for a sapphire sandwich if you like the idea of a clear back, but that's more money. Personally I don't need a clear back because these movements aren't finished to any sort of haute horologie standards. They are nicely finished, but who really needs to look at them? Just personal opinion.

Thanks.

Yes, unfortunately I did manage to get a donor for under 3K in Hong Kong when I first considered modding it but then quickly sold it, when I decided not to mod it.

I'm struggling to get one over here (Tokyo) now, mind. Everything that comes up for sale is in top condition and pretty expensive.

I unfortunately don’t have the Mitsukoshi Speedy but one day I would love to add it to the stable. However, two years ago I went down the route of modding my first Speedy.

I acquired a new/sealed TinTin dial

IMG_3014.jpeg

At the time, I only had a vintage 145.022 reference, which was my daily and was not about to be the base for this. I had seen others mention going the cheap route, but with this being a brand new dial, I had a hard time putting it into a potentially rough looking case.

It was an easy decision for me to buy a brand new 311.30.42.30.01.005. The day after I bought the watch, I took it to my watch maker for the conversion. I took this photo when I parked the car out front of my watch makers building.
IMG_3352.jpeg

Since I was modding a Speedy, I decided to mod the big box it came in. Figured I would make something useful out of it- gutted it and converted it into a sweet watch box.

IMG_3353.jpeg

Later on and with the help of another forum member, I luckily sourced a new sealed TinTin caseback.

IMG_3012.jpeg

And, I have a piece that is more often than not my daily wear. And honestly, this is the closest to owning a TinTin I will get. Specially considering I missed the one that sold on this forum for under 5k, just over a year ago 🤬 oh well haha.

IMG_3142.jpeg IMG_3144.jpeg

I don’t think have anything to add that hasn’t already been said above. If you can’t bring yourself to mod a Speedy, definitely consider parting ways with the parts. Though, I think if you commit to this, you’ll be happy you did. The Mitsukoshi is a stunning Speedy. And like others have said above, I kept all of the OEM parts and stored them properly.. should I ever want to convert it back, which, being honest, is highly unlikely. However you go about this, just make sure you’re having fun. And definitely share pics once you complete it.

^^^ I did the same for a Japan Racing Special mod, put a new racing dial and hands and correct case back into a like new case and movement from that era. It even came with a new correct bracelet that I never used. All at about half the price of a real one. I saw no point in paying for one of the 2,000 units from 2005. Some people have to have the real deal and that's fine, it's no big deal for me to have a modded one, especially if the only LE difference is the dial, and maybe the back.
Edited:

I like that I can wear my modded Speedmasters without the worry of any wear and tear affecting their value. My genuine LE's get less wrist time for that reason that I dont want them to get overly scratched from everyday use.

Thanks.

Yes, unfortunately I did manage to get a donor for under 3K in Hong Kong when I first considered modding it but then quickly sold it, when I decided not to mod it.

I'm struggling to get one over here (Tokyo) now, mind. Everything that comes up for sale is in top condition and pretty expensive.

Build it and do it right, and someone like me will wish they were wearing it!

I unfortunately don’t have the Mitsukoshi Speedy but one day I would love to add it to the stable. However, two years ago I went down the route of modding my first Speedy.

IMG_3014.jpeg

At the time, I only had a vintage 145.022 reference, which was my daily and was not about to be the base for this. I had seen others mention going the cheap route, but with this being a brand new dial, I had a hard time putting it into a potentially rough looking case.

It was an easy decision for me to buy a brand new 311.30.42.30.01.005. The day after I bought the watch, I took it to my watch maker for the conversion. I took this photo when I parked the car out front of my watch makers building.
IMG_3352.jpeg

Since I was modding a Speedy, I decided to mod the big box it came in. Figured I would make something useful out of it- gutted it and converted it into a sweet watch box.

IMG_3353.jpeg

Later on and with the help of another forum member, I luckily sourced a new sealed TinTin caseback.

IMG_3012.jpeg

And, I have a piece that is more often than not my daily wear. And honestly, this is the closest to owning a TinTin I will get. Specially considering I missed the one that sold on this forum for under 5k, just over a year ago 🤬 oh well haha.

I don’t think have anything to add that hasn’t already been said above. If you can’t bring yourself to mod a Speedy, definitely consider parting ways with the parts. Though, I think if you commit to this, you’ll be happy you did. The Mitsukoshi is a stunning Speedy. And like others have said above, I kept all of the OEM parts and stored them properly.. should I ever want to convert it back, which, being honest, is highly unlikely. However you go about this, just make sure you’re having fun. And definitely share pics once you complete it.

IMG_3014.jpeg

IMG_3352.jpeg

IMG_3353.jpeg

IMG_3012.jpeg

Wow! That's an amazing story and end product. I love the fact that you modded "that" box as well! Very inspiring.

Well, some Speedy mods can be very fun... 😀

Kuvatõmmis 2023-10-09 093144.png

This looks awesome by the way @Risto. I remember the previous thread when you were first thinking about options with 145.016 dials. Is this picture the end product, or one of the photoshopped simulations?