To clean or not to clean?

Hi all,

My two new (to me) Omegas here. The one on the left is polished and looks like it came out of the 1969 showroom today. The one on the right is also great but it has its signs of wear, and some patine, some scratches, etc. Both have all original components and both recently serviced.

What do you all say about this? I prefer polished - "character" is a euphemism for "old and decrepit" (just like in my profession; I am a photographer)... thoughts?

Generally this is a NO polish forum.

So it's a no from me.

Like 6
Generally, sure. But perhaps there might be exceptions?
Certainly I would always insist on all original parts (including crystal and crown), so I think we agree at least on that!

Your watches, your choice.
As long as you are aware that polishing will reduce the watches desirability to collectors, which may impact future value.

Plus 1 for @X350 XJR

Like 3
Your watches, your choice.
As long as you are aware that polishing will reduce the watches desirability to collectors, which may impact future value.
Plus 1 for @X350 XJR

Yeah I am hedging my bets: one polished, one not touched. :-)

The case of the watch on the left is not as appealing to me because of the rounded edges, and obviously I don't like the back where someone got really aggressive. The dial is much better, of course.
Edited:

Like 4
They’re your watches so do what makes you happy.

I’m firmly in the no polish camp. Polished watches looks like used bars of soap to me. All the original sharp lines and definition gets compromised.

Like 3
Thread title is "clean vs not clean" but the discussion is "polish vs no polish" = BIG difference
I vote for clean, but no polish (yes to crystal polish)

Like 4
Thread title is "clean vs not clean"
Yeah, I thought at first this was going to be another thread where members had to tell the OP that his dial couldn't be cleaned.

I hear you on all this. Yeah, polish is a better word than clean.

For me, enjoyment in wearing is more important than resale value; and since the dulling of edges is very minor indeed I can see me wearing the automatic a little more than the non-polished manual. But yeah, I do have that one and will keep that one unpolished. except the crystal of course. But in both cases, al original parts!

It’s subjective. I don’t find the dulling of edges very minor. I find it glaring and it’s irritated me and impacted my enjoyment of my watches that have seen a polish that I’ve ended up selling them.
But, it’s personal preference. If you feel the opposite, you should have it polished.

Like 4
Certainly I would always insist on all original parts (including crystal and crown), so I think we agree at least on that!

If you compare your polished one to an unpolished example of the same reference you'll be surprised at the difference and perhaps appreciate what most of us here are saying.

As a forum of mostly collectors we're telling you what we prefer.

Your watch to enjoy as you like.

Like 2

A surprisingly complex issue, at least for collectors. I agree with DanS above: I don’t like polishing when it affects the case architecture. That being said: on a particular surface, that’s either brushed or polished, must we live with someone else’s scratches and wear? As they say above, your watches, your choice. Personally, I am fine with careful and sympathetic mild restoration on a case vs parading around with someone else’s history on the watch and beaming because it’s “untouched.”

Like 4
restoration on a case vs parading around with someone else’s history on the watch and beaming because it’s “untouched.”
While the OP watches illustrate those two choices, there is another option. One can also be patient and picky and wait for un-restored watches that are in good condition. In the long run, those are the watches that tend to stay in a collection.
Edited:

Like 1
I am in the unpolished camp. Give me a scratched, dinged, yet unpolished case any day; over a "new" and shiny polished vintage piece.

With unpolished cases you are preserving the original architecture intended from factory. I do appreciate the skill of a watchmaker who polishes (some great work out there). But, not for me.

Like 1
To illustrate my point further: here is an Ed White with a correct flat-link bracelet. I would vote not original to the watch, but correct.

IMG_1882.jpeg

The lug tops have likely been polished, as well as the no. 6 end-link. The bracelet looks “untouched,” and the original high polish outer links have been obscured by scratches and wear, maybe even some light brushing.

Now, this bracelet is surely more valuable left in this state. But if it’s going to stay with this watch, I believe a sympathetic polish would bring the aesthetic presentation up, not down, in spite of the potential lost value on the bracelet. To each, their own.

Like 3
To illustrate my point further: here is an Ed White with a correct flat-link bracelet. I would vote not original to the watch, but correct.

IMG_1882.jpeg

The lug tops have likely been polished, as well as the no. 6 end-link. The bracelet looks “untouched,” and the original high polish outer links have been obscured by scratches and wear, maybe even some light brushing.

Now, this bracelet is surely more valuable left in this state. But if it’s going to stay with this watch, I believe a sympathetic polish would bring the aesthetic presentation up, not down, in spite of the potential lost value on the bracelet. To each, their own.
TBH, I don't feel quite the same way about bracelets as I do about watches. In order to be usable, they will often need repair, and refinishing makes sense if the condition clashes with the watch. I don't even think refinishing a vintage bracelet hurts its value.

I don't even think refinishing a vintage bracelet hurts its value.
Depends on the bracelet. A vintage Rolex unpolished bracelet and clasp will definitely command a higher premium than a refinished one.

I guess it comes down to individual taste, yes - and to why you buy the watch. Is it for resale value and to marvel over the history, or is it - equally validly I think - to have a great watch? As said, I can see both sides so I bought one of each. This new-looking one is the one I am wearing!

Like 1