Forums Latest Members

Tips and Opinions: Buying a New Watch

1. Ismini Apr 2, 2021

Hi, I am trying to start my own collection, and I would like to know your opinion and any information you may have acquired through the years. Where should I buy it from? Is it better to buy new or used? Could I ask for a price reduction? What should I look for when considering a watch? If I buy it in gold, is it going to retain its price in future? Should I consider my watch an investment? Etc.
    I plan to buy two watches, and I have created a list of the ones I like. Please tell me if you consider them good buys or feel free to talk about watches I may be interested in.
    1) Longines Heritage Collection 18ct Pink Gold,
    2) Longines Conquest Heritage,
    3) Longines Legend Diver,
    4) Hamilton Ventura,
    5) Omega Seamaster,
    6) Omega De Ville Tresor Master.

2. tikkathree Apr 2, 2021

I think my first question to most if not all the above would be "Why?"

kkt, Larry S, Syrte and 1 other person like this.
  3. Twocats Married... with children Apr 2, 2021

Have you tried any of your listed watches on your wrist ? This is the number one thing for me to do before pulling the trigger. You may love them in 2D on the inter web but the only true litmus test is to wear them. I have bought watches on line and ended up selling them because they were either too big or just not what I was expecting.

You can always ask for a discount, unless they have one of those signs "please don't ask for a discount as a smack in the mouth may offend".

Watches are a hobby, if you want "investment watches" purchase Rolex, Patek, AP but pick the right watches as some are infinitely more collectible than others and pay retail and keep them in a safe, thus never partaking in the hobby.

Looking at your list I don't see any superstar investments nor do I believe gold watches particularly retain their retail value. Thats a pretty broad statement re the gold but unless its a special watch prices tend to dip.

Buy what you like and wear it knowing it will lose value and get scratched, once you accept that this is a great hobby.

kkt, Stewart A, Dan S and 3 others like this.
  4. Ismini Apr 2, 2021

What do you mean?

5. Ismini Apr 2, 2021

Thanks for your advice! if I understand correctly ill have to choose based on what I like and I shouldn't care about anything else.

6. Twocats Married... with children Apr 2, 2021

Exactly, we all love watches for different reasons and 99.9% of the people on this forum consider resale value last.

Try the Speedmaster moon watch when you are in the Omega boutique, chances are you will fall in love with it.

Ismini likes this.
  7. Ismini Apr 2, 2021

I will let you know! thanks

Twocats likes this.
  8. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Apr 2, 2021

I feel that most ‘modern’ watches are too big for my 17.5cm wrist.

The 35mm diameter Longines Conquest Heritage sits very comfortably.

You must really try a watch on before you buy.
    A9F631CF-E76E-4671-9FEE-42A3239F2DCE.jpeg

kkt, TimeODanaos, Dan S and 2 others like this.
  9. Ismini Apr 2, 2021

it seems to fit perfectly. Conquest is a watch that I would like to try!

Spruce likes this.