Forums Latest Members

TinTin Speedmaster - love it, but it sits unworn...

1. Muttley Jul 5, 2020

I bought this as my first and only Omega, and absolutely love it to bits. It looks fantastic, and it's a Speedmaster - enough said ::love::.
    However, 'values' have gone mad, and now I'm too scared to wear it. It sits in the safe, brought out every few weeks for a wind and for me to gaze at. Stupid, first world problem I know, but I have always bought watches to wear, not to be safe queens.
    Should I just man up forget what it's 'worth' and wear it as the scratches/dings start to accumulate?
    Sell it?
    Trade it for something I would wear? (I'd love an Explorer II Polar White but can't afford it without selling something. And I know the Explorer is no cheaper, but I see it as a 'tool' watch more than the Speedmaster).
    Shut up and stop wasting forum time? (please don't say yes to this one :whistling:)
    Cheers.

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 5, 2020

define mad values...

The sales price is not exactly what some people are asking.... well sales price is not even 1/4 of what some people are asking.

noelekal and cristos71 like this.
  3. killer67 Jul 5, 2020

Keep it and wear it no sense in making your watch look at the inside of a safe

Lonestar, noelekal, Stripey and 3 others like this.
  4. Muttley Jul 5, 2020

Thanks, I've only really seen what people are asking and just assumed they were selling for $7-8,000USD. If the truth is far removed from that, maybe it's a non-issue?

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 5, 2020

It’s a non issue and you hit the nail on the head a long while back (nearly 2 years ago)

Lonestar, Stripey and Muttley like this.
  6. OmeGez Jul 5, 2020

Wear it and enjoy it!

Stripey and time flies like this.
  7. Damo Jul 5, 2020

Lovely looking watches are the tin tin, sadly out of my price range at present but definitely one I'd love to own in the future. I'd say wear it and enjoy it...

8. Pepe Lucas Jul 5, 2020

For a moment I felt like you with my Hulk. I bought it in 2016 so there were plenty and cheaper in the secondary market so I wored pretty much every day. When I started to see the prices going crazy I started thinking about the resale value and stopped wearing for a little bit. Then I decided that it is what it is and I enjoy wearing it and not worry about value.

WatchCor, steelfish, 8100_RPM and 2 others like this.
  9. Ree Jul 5, 2020

If by 1/4 you'd mean 1/4 of $8000 which would be $2000 then I would strongly disagree. From my observations, $7000-$8000 with +-10% variations, depending on item condition has been the sale price for a while.

10. YY77 Jul 5, 2020

Either wear it because you spent 3k on it or sell it because you can get 7k for it, but don't leave it in the safe sittting in the dark. Just my 2 cents.

vintage hab, Stripey, Muttley and 6 others like this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 5, 2020

People have been asking 20k plus recently...

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 5, 2020

Tintin is my everyday 'beater'. Wear it and don't fret. At today's prices, it will probably remain worth more than you paid, so essentially you will have had free use of a watch for a few years. And I suspect if you are worried about wearing a watch that may be worth $6-7k USD than you also will not feel comfortable wearing an Explorer.

OmegaP99, Lonestar, Stripey and 2 others like this.
  13. ChrisInParis Jul 5, 2020

To wear or not to wear ... I asked myself the same question about my 50th anniversary (2007) Speedmaster which I kept new in box for over 10 years. It has particular significance for me since, like the Speedmaster, I was born in 1957.

In the end I decided that it should be worn and appreciated and it’s the one I wear almost daily now, with great enjoyment.

I know I’d never sell it so I imagine it will be inherited by one of my sons one day. I’d like to think that when the time comes they’d rather have a watch that had been part of my life than a pristine safe queen.

My father, who piloted Spitfires in WW2, had an Omega watch provided to him by the RAF, sadly stolen from him. Oh how I wish I had that!

So my personal take on this is that whatever you collect or flip it’s worth thinking about what’s going to be that special watch that’ll accompany you through a significant part of you life and maybe be an invaluable heirloom for future generations.

14. Evitzee Jul 5, 2020

Any product that isn't used because of the price isn't a product I want to own. A modern watch is not an investment, so either wear it or sell it. Makes little sense keeping it in the safe and fondling it every couple of weeks.

noelekal, scapa and Muttley like this.
  15. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jul 5, 2020

Crazy, seems like 5 minutes ago these were being sold off cheaply and people were picking them up to mod with mitsukoshi dials etc.

Mind you also crazy that I struggled to sell my genuinely mint boxed/complete meteorite Speedy Soyuz only around 3 years ago at £1k below original retail price. How quickly times can change hey.

I'd just wear and enjoy it though, can always have it serviced and refurbed by Omega years down the line if you want to bring it back like new again.

Lonestar likes this.
  16. Spyder Jul 5, 2020

I'm in the wear it and enjoy it camp as well!

OmeGez likes this.
  17. JwRosenthal Jul 5, 2020

I bought this for $2k, have worn the shit out of it for 19 years, had to replace the crystal due to daily wear and tear....should I put it in a safe now that’s it’s worth more than my car?
    5B717194-DE22-447D-B166-09CB641CD649.jpeg

MikeJF, WatchCor, Lonestar and 14 others like this.
  18. YY77 Jul 5, 2020

I'm assuming your car is worth 3k. So I'll offer you 4k, doubling your initial cost so can buy a more expensive car:p.

19. JwRosenthal Jul 5, 2020

I keep my cars until the wheels fall off so my once $32k Audi is actually worth about the same as new plain Jane Speedy.

I do always question the logic of owning a watch that’s worth $6k and being afraid to use it, but driving a $50k+ car in traffic and leaving it in a Target parking lot unattended with the masses and wild herds of abandoned shopping carts rolling around like tumbleweed...your watch stands a better chance of making it 10 years unscathed.

Njnjcfp88, rcs914, noelekal and 10 others like this.
  20. RonJ Jul 5, 2020

I think you should wear your Tintin watch.
    The average person probably doesn't know what it is, but to anyone that does, the red & white dial can be spotted from across the room.
    It would have to be a conversation-starter for anyone that knows Speedmaster watches.

I don't own one, but I like the way they look.
    I also like the background story to it.
    It makes it another kind of "Moon watch", for sure.

Omega-Speedmaster-Tintin-rocket-Destination-Moon.jpg