Forums Latest Members

Thoughts re service estimate...

1. calalum Oct 31, 2019

Recently bought a cool vintage diver which seemed to need a service when I was inspecting it. Here is what my watchmaker tells me is needed:

New balance staff
    New auto reversing wheel
    New mainspring
    New crown wheel
    New clutch wheel
    New setting bridge
    New auto oscillating weight axle

Sounds like a LOT, right? The guy I bought the watch from is more or less a dealer and I suspect he must have known at some level the extent of the issues.

Thoughts or comments?

Thanks.

2. Evitzee Nov 1, 2019

Buyer beware. Unless the dealer guaranteed its condition the seller owes you nothing, you bought a vintage diver and you knew it would need some work. Its one of the perils of buying vintage.

3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 1, 2019

Many people think that 30 seconds a day is perfectly fine for a vintage watch. It's old, right? Official specs say 30 seconds a day is generous!

The fact is, none of those watches were only 30 seconds a day when new. I hold my watchmaker to a higher standard. He charges a bit extra for it, which, fine.

You're talking, what, $100 in parts? and then this watch is good for another 100 years with proper service?

Well worth it, especially if you like it.

Tom

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 1, 2019

What’s the watch?

Not forgetting a lot of dealers are buying cheap for the flip. ( usually as quick as possible )
    No money in fixing watches only selling watches. ;)

gostang9 likes this.
  5. kopykat Nov 1, 2019

It's not a lot for a standard service on an older automatic watch.
    Parts you named are commonly very worn and not replacing them will most likely compromise the result.

Some "watchmakers" or more like "hobbyists" tend to clean and oil the watch and not replacing worn parts which usually result in a bad service and poor performance.
    Replace them!

6. ConElPueblo Nov 1, 2019

I have often been surprised by how many (or how few!) parts that have been replaced during service. I'll happily let my watchmaker be the judge of that, since I apparently have no clue myself :)

Davidt, gostang9, Larry S and 3 others like this.
  7. oinkitt Nov 1, 2019

Not really enough info to make any judgement.

8. Canuck Nov 1, 2019

The best person to question would be another watchmaker, not us. How might we know?

Larry S likes this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 1, 2019

I have to say ... that is a big list. I had some problem watches over the years. Is this a Rolex?

10. calalum Nov 1, 2019

Not a Rolex but agree on the size of the list. At this point I will probably just suck it up and deal with the service and then enjoy the watch. Thanks for the responses and thoughts.

Larry S likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 1, 2019

If the list fits on one page, it's not a big list. These are all parts that are commonly worn in vintage watches.

Exactly - to me this is a sign the watchmaker has done a proper inspection, and is doing a proper service.

wagudc, wristpirate, gostang9 and 2 others like this.
  12. alam Nov 1, 2019

:thumbsup: good idea in deciding to service as the number of issues/parts will most likely increase by wearing the watch and delaying service.. pics of the watch?

13. kopykat Nov 1, 2019

I can only agree. Ignoring worn parts makes a bad watchmaker.

If the watchmaker has found the parts to be worn and has to be replaced, why would you even reconsider?

gostang9 likes this.
  14. Dan S Nov 1, 2019

Could just be a sign that you have a detail-oriented watchmaker.

15. gostang9 Nov 1, 2019

Sounds very normal and understandable to me.

As for dealers (and all ”not serviced” sales) make money by not servicing before a sale.

Service = keeping a watch

Don’t get it serviced = selling, or don’t plan to wear (often), or don’t care about causing further damage

16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 1, 2019

I think, as Mr Archer has previously taught me, and who’s lesson I forgot with my post. There is a thorough approach and there is a less thorough approach. The former costs more and is more effective.