Forums Latest Members

Thoughts/Opinions-Vintage Constellation Bumper 18K White Gold 2782

1. deuceman11 Jan 14, 2016

Hi Guys,

I am fairly new to this forum and vintage watch collecting with most of my collection being modern watches. I was given a vintage Omega Constellation by a family friend and had the watch serviced and replaced the crown and crystal. At the service I discovered the watch is 18 carat white gold which was a very pleasant surprise.

The dial appears to have been re-finished as the font on Constellation is all wrong. I can assume during the dial refinish the baguette diamonds were added as hour markers at 3, 6, 9 and 12. Unfortunately I don't have a great picture of the movement but the serial number would make it's year of production 1954 or 55.

I was wondering if anyone has seen a similar dial on an Omega watch from this time period or has ever seen the baguette diamonds on a dial like this one.

Any other comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

IMG_4067.JPG IMG_3598.JPG
    Edited Jan 14, 2016
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 14, 2016

The dial has been refinished as you believe, I would just add that the refinishing was exceptionally poor and would really hurt resale. The fact that it is white gold is a plus, but someone would have to find a replacement dial to make it desirable or at least have the dial redone to a better standard (though this would still hinder value) The diamonds add nothing in value in this case. They were added later. It would also be helpful to see the movement and caseback medallion.

deuceman11 likes this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 14, 2016

4. harrymai86 Jan 14, 2016

How could they make a redial like that? Terrible quality

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 14, 2016

Not sure that this was ever a Constellation dial, or someone could have melted down all the original markers to make this mess.

So I would just call it a "replacement".
    gatorcpa

6. deuceman11 Jan 15, 2016

Here is a pic of the movement prior to it's service and a pic of the caseback medallion.

Movement.jpg Case Back.JPG
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2016

Very nice, these are very rare. This really should be preserved.

8. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 15, 2016

And even though the dial is shot the case has some merits - for instance - the bezel still has quite sharp edges. Especially for being in soft gold. The case back is also nice. Cannot really say anything about the case in it self from the pics but chances are it is in good condition also.

cicindela likes this.
  9. deuceman11 Jan 15, 2016

I will try and add some better quality photos this weekend, the iPhone pics aren't doing it justice. The watch sat untouched for almost 25 years before being given to me and seems to be in excellent condition for the age of the watch. My next step will be to try and track down dial up here in Canada and see if I can get this watch closer to original. I would have loved to have seen this watch prior to the re-dial.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 15, 2016

I wonder how this would look with a dial with yellow gold markers and a yellow hand set?

That's how most of the steel cased versions of this reference were configured, although with a gold medallion on the back.

White gold marker dials for this reference are relatively rare.
    gatorcpa

11. hugo Jan 15, 2016