Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on Vacheron Cal. 453

1. JBF1957 Jul 3, 2021

Greetings all,

I’m considering a Vacheron Constantin with the cal. 453 movement. Is there anything I should know about the movement before I pull the trigger? I’ve attached a few photos. I appreciate everyone’s time.

-John

8AE520C1-E335-4FAE-86F1-07F3ECFFBB80.jpeg F953E986-2296-4DB6-8C80-424B4A319DB4.jpeg
  2. sirtaifun Jul 9, 2021

Hi John,

you missed about what you`re going to do with that watch.
    If you want to wear it for everyday use then I want to inform you that this movement isn`t shockproof and the position of the regulator intend that this movement head straight to service after purchase.
    The dial seems like a redial to me because the "Swiss Made" is missing but maybe someone more experienced than I can tell something about that.

3. S.H. Jul 9, 2021

No case screws or clamps? I would ask a picture of the caseback. Be sure that movement and case go together and it is not a parts bin special, i e a VC movement rattling around in a salvaged gold case.

4. Geezer Jul 9, 2021

I agree, looks like a redial. There seem to be plenty of other issues with the watch too. The case looks quite soft and the casing screws are missing.

At least from the picture, it appears that one of the lugs is deformed.

These old VC/JLC movements are lovely but repair jobs can be expensive. Spare parts are not cheap and this one looks like it needs a service.

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 9, 2021

As others have noted, originality is a question mark, and the condition is not good. I would personally advise against buying vintage high-end (e.g. AP, PP, and V&C) watches with more than modest condition issues.

Edited Jul 9, 2021
    Geezer likes this.
  6. JBF1957 Jul 9, 2021

Thanks gents,

I decided to pass on the watch mainly because of the lack of case clap screws and the fact that I’ve been looking for a watch like this for years and haven’t come across anything like this one, so I’m fairly sure bits of it were not original. I appreciate your time and insight!