Forums Latest Members
  1. alphabeta81 Sep 5, 2019

Hi all, wanted to get your take on this 30CH - it was sold as NOS and condition sure does look superb. Longines extract confirmed the number and the reference matches the one on the case back.

My question, especially, is on the fonts on the left and right subdials - the 30 on the left subdial and the 30 on the right subdial show it most clearly - the fonts are different.

I feel like the vast majority of 30CH I have come across have matching fonts (the numerals look the same).

Thanks for your help!

1-19 (1).jpg 1-19.jpg 2-15.jpg 4-16.jpg 5-15.jpg

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 5, 2019

I think ....redial. I need to check the hands chart .. Too clean, don’t like the sub dials. Fonts are indeed an issue.

3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Sep 5, 2019

I am inclined to say original. But I will add that I can only find one other example with the same sub-dial layout and I am wary of that dial. Also, the font of the signature is somewhat unusual. However, each sub-dial compares well with similar examples and the overall condition appears coherent.

P.S. Mismatched sub-dials do appear on correct dials.

Larry S and Mark020 like this.
  4. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Sep 6, 2019

More examples (that I had forgotten about) with this sub-dial variation are surfacing.

Larry S likes this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 6, 2019

Given the extraordinary condition of the case and movement, I am inclined to say that it is al original. Also, the seller does deal exclusively in NOS and mint watches. Not cheap, of course, but typically outstanding condition.

Larry S likes this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 6, 2019

Wow, they have some nice inventory. They seem like no BS people.

7. alphabeta81 Sep 6, 2019

Thanks all.

I do think that many of us, like Larry S above, are inclined to say "must be a redial since it's too clean" - when in fact, while rare, plenty of well preserved 13zn and 30ch exist with clean dials and clean movements. I guess that's what happens when 99% of the ones that we see have worn dials.

If the movement had some wear on it, I would be worried - after all, how could the dial be so clean but the movement have wear? But in this case, seems like everything is consistent, too.

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 6, 2019

Let me clarify. I have a bunch of very clean vintage watches. In fact I’m a stickler for clean dials when it comes to gold chronographs. I also own two 30CH and a clean 13.33Z. What was throwing me was the font inconsistency and the sub tracks. Dial proportions look good however. Yes I have also seen very clean 30CH but I was having trouble finding a similar dial configuration in my search. Redials on 30CH are pretty obvious usually. Anyway @DirtyDozen12 and @Tony C. have opined and they are the best and last word here.

Edited Sep 6, 2019
  9. jsducote Sep 6, 2019

Sorry, but I was just informed in another thread that we're not allowed to "vote" and that any speculation may be damaging to the seller.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 6, 2019

Shake it off. See my comment.

11. alphabeta81 Sep 6, 2019

Yes, I think based on the comments from @DirtyDozen12 and @Tony C. we can conclude that it's good.

In hindsight, what I should have done is just posted a cropped picture of the 2 subdials to ask if this font mismatch is correct or no bueno. Turns out that it's fine and other examples exist (albeit most 30CH examples do have matching fonts).

The consistency here of everything is telling - razor sharp case, no marks on the inner caseback, NOS quality movement - so a NOS quality dial is consistent with the rest of the watch. Spectacular watch.

oinkitt and Larry S like this.