Thoughts on this 14770 Seamaster

Hi OF,

I'm in the market for my first vintage Seamaster and I've taken to the 14770 reference in particular. I'm new to the vintage watch game, but have done a good amount of research and this looks to be one of the nicest 14770 I've seen. Cost is just over 1500 USD.

All components look to be original (dial, hands, bracelet, movement) and in good shape, if not excellent shape, for its age. The piece is being sold by a reputable dealer, fwiw.

Just looking for a second opinion before I officially. Thank you!

This piece also satisfies a few criteria I'm looking for beyond the 14770 ref., such as crosshair, coat hanger S, and the hippocampus caseback.

I see spotting on the dial so be sure you are ok with that. Strong money.

It is top end price wise so I’d want to be confident the dial is mint and the movement has had a document service by a competent watchmaker.

I should mention that is was serviced July 2023 and comes with a 1 year warranty. I'm generally a fan of the patinated look on vintage Seamasters, as long as it's not the factor driving the price up.

I should mention that is was serviced July 2023 and comes with a 1 year warranty. I'm generally a fan of the patinated look on vintage Seamasters, as long as it's not the factor driving the price up.
well when you are paying strong $ like that, typically you want to go for mint dial, mint can become patinate with time, not the opposite.

My guess is that the spotting is much less visible in person than it is in photos. It’s at the top of the price range for this reference, but I like it. Having had a recent service and coming with a warranty, I think that the OP could do a lot worse.

Looking at this in daylight, I think that price is too high for the condition of the dial. These can be found relatively easily with perfect dials. No need to pay a premium for a dial with lacquer issues.

Also, is there proof of service? We’ve had pseudo dealers on here before offering warranties and when pressed they admitted they offer a warranty and then pay for repairs when 1 in 5 watches have issues. At that price I’d want to see proof of service, not just the dealers say so and a warranty as they’re two different things.

@Davidt is right.

I have this very nice 165.003 with an excellent 552 movement but it has two very small marks on the dial on either side of Omega logo. I don’t suppose anyone notices them when I wear the watch but I can never 'unsee' those two blemishes.

So, when you decide, remember that it’s you who has to be comfortable with the watch.

What would be an appropriate price for a Seamaster in this condition (factoring in all original components, bead of rice bracelet included, serviced, warranty, etc)?

Up to you really. If dial was perfect and service done with good timegrapher results $1500 is ok. A few 100 less for ok dial.
The trade off is it may take months of fishing to find a better one.
For 1500 I would want one of the special dial Seamasters.

@Davidt is right.

I have this very nice 165.003 with an excellent 552 movement but it has two very small marks on the dial on either side of Omega logo. I don’t suppose anyone notices them when I wear the watch but I can never 'unsee' those two blemishes.

So, when you decide, remember that it’s you who has to be comfortable with the watch.

I will take this one off your hands if you like. I think I can unsee the spots and focus on the pretty gold furniture.

If you are in a hurry and overpay for a watch, chances are over time you will want to move on to something else and will likely take a loss when you go to sell it.