Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on Roger Dubuis Watches

1. Marsimaxam Aug 13, 2020

i realize that Roger no longer runs the watch company that is named after him, like Franck Muller, but what are your thoughts on his complicated movements and designs?

AD10596F-074C-4370-92BD-1A12910F6BD2.jpeg
    jmazpiazu likes this.
  2. mikeo1 Aug 15, 2020

Don't own one, don't care for anything in the sports lineup but I have always been attracted to the perpetual calendars and their top notch supporting paperwork/accessories. Resale appears to be terrible-which can be a good thing.

[​IMG]

jmazpiazu and Marsimaxam like this.
  3. Marsimaxam Aug 15, 2020

I too really liked some of their earlier models; the Much More, Sympathie, Too Much,and Follow Me. Definitely eye catching with some cool movements.

I have to admit RD produced some of the world’s most recognizable watches... over sized cases, transparent backs, large Roman numerals and unique cases.

When Roger Dubuis, he passed in 2017 but retired from company in 2005, still controlled the company the watch values were more stable, but, I agree they don’t hold their values. I, first buy a watch because I like the look and I hope it appreciates in value, but, I never considered watches as an investment vehicle although they have definitely become great investments to many, myself included.

4. Evitzee Aug 15, 2020

If you buy a Dubuis pre-Richemont (before 2008) when the man was still in control they are stellar watches and are now becoming very collectible and values most likely will rise in the future. I have a Sympathie from 2009 in rose gold with ecru dial and applied numerals. Fantastic fit and finish all around with the great Lemania movement. I consider it one of the most beautiful chronos made in the last 50 years.

IMG_3518_Dubuis.jpg IMG_6819.JPG
    apsm100, khmt2, Marsimaxam and 3 others like this.
  5. Walrus Aug 15, 2020

Yes that is a thing of beauty. Very easy on the eyes. I also like that black moonphase posted above. OP watch is very nice but the size looks like it wouldn’t look good on me. Overall very interesting and another brand I’m unfamiliar with. I won’t ask about price. I’m just figuring I won’t be something that will be in my box anytime soon but these examples shown are very interesting.

6. Noboxnopaper Aug 17, 2020

I am in love with the beauty of early Dubuis hommage chronographs with bregret numerals. Sadly when I first saw it I was already too late :(

7. wouter van wijk Aug 17, 2020

dito @Evitzee.
    Some of the early ones are sub-zero cool. They are getting unobtainable since collectors acknowledge these to be the best of the late 90s early 00 independent pieces ever made. Classic shaped, but iI also really fancy the funky unique quirky Sympathie cased watches (particularly the crazy bi-retrograde) . Some of those have really nice movements (retrograde, monopusher and the above mentioned chronograph etc) and sexy dials of which some are even tested at the observatory of Besancon.
    But.....
    ... we must never forget!
    Some of the current modern oversized Richemont RD Excaliburs with a couple of flying frikkin' tourbillons are monstrosities even beyond fugly. Greatest examples of watches for people with zero taste. If i would get paid i still wouldn't wear these; too much frightened to vomit over my own shirt. So if you ask me, its still a bit of a question-mark if the current love for the first Dubuis watches will last much longer since this Richemont brand nowadays only produces shitter watches

8. Marsimaxam Aug 17, 2020

I agree with you 100%. When RD was still an active part of his company, in my opinion, it made all the difference in the world. He was a stabilizing influence and when Richemont took over that's when things headed south. Still love my Much More.

wouter van wijk likes this.
  9. slwoodster Aug 18, 2020

Everyone is in agreement here, buy the pre-Richemont Dubuis and you'll be fine. Wow the sympathie looks amazing.