Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on a 34mm Tudor Ranger?

1. kip595 Mar 4, 2020

Okay, first an open admission: while I have some familiarity with Rolex, Omegas being my primary focus, I confess to knowing only general info about Tudors, although I do tend to like their styling as more restrained, in many cases, versus their Rollie brethren.

Anyway; for a while now I've been sort of toying with the idea of picking up an older Tudor 34mm Ranger for daily wear. 34-40mm tends to suit my wrist best, aesthetically. I came across this one recently and wanted to get the experts (you great folks here on the forum) opinions.

The dial is listed as "original and redone", which from the images I take to mean completely refurbished/restored/what-have-you.

I'm interested to see what everyone thinks of it however, knowing it would be a daily wear, and fully expect it to receive the occasional nick or scratch over time. Does the re-dial (even if it is the original, to me it's about the same thing) still kill it for you? Or might it be a decent option for a general purpose day-to-day piece; at a significantly lower cost than an all original?

t-1.jpg t-2.jpg t-3.jpg t-4.jpg t-5.jpg

Thanks as always for any thoughts!

2. Dan S Mar 4, 2020

Well, those photos are too small for me to really get a sense of the watch, but the only scenario I can imagine where I'd be interested in a re-dialed Tudor would be if it were a family heirloom.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 4, 2020

You really need to do some careful research on what constitutes a correct Ranger, as probably 90-95% of what are claimed to be Rangers are not in fact Rangers, lots of fake dials and hand sets out there.

watch3s likes this.
  4. ConElPueblo Mar 4, 2020

In the very instance you are considering a redialed watch - or a watch that has been converted to something it wasn't to begin with - all conventional "objective" valuations are useless as they cannot be compared to original pieces.

You ask if it could be a "decent option for general purpose" which is impossible to answer in any meaningful way, since no-one knows what state it is in. It could be a leaky piece of rotten steel with a chewed up movement, or it could be a well preserved specimen which will only require regular maintenance.

A Casio F-91w is also significantly cheaper than the original version of the watch you are looking at and probably more useful day-to-day.

watch3s likes this.
  5. killer67 Mar 4, 2020

Beware as it is probably the most faked watch on the secondary market. Cant see movement well but should be cal 2483
    7955/0 is a rare watch and your example needs better pics and serial # but hands are incorrect and caseback is suspect

6. kip595 Mar 4, 2020

After some questions to the seller it quickly became apparent the whole thing is a Frankenwatch; I’m passing.

Do appreciate everyone’s input...even if the idea of wearing the aforementioned Casio makes me feel vaguely nauseous.

DaveK likes this.
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 4, 2020

If the thought of the Casio makes you nauseous, just think how nauseated you'd feel if you shelled out some good money for this franken...

Dan S, OMEGuy and kip595 like this.
  8. EdtheAussie Mar 5, 2020

Dial as you said is aftermarket, but the hands are also.

What reference number does the seller quote? As i doubt it was ever a ranger and is merely an oysterdate with an aftermarket dial.

This is a good resource https://tudorcollector.com/the-collection/watches/

Doing your own research on past threads on omega and rolex forums will also help you get a better understanding of the reference as there is a lot of good info out there.

These are my example
    20200301_084333.jpg IMG_20190912_095138_542.jpg

dougwhiz, mappleluna and Spruce like this.
  9. killer67 Mar 5, 2020

10. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. Mar 6, 2020

Not an original Ranger. Dial and hands are new aftermarket. If you like it, don't pay more than a parts 34mm Tudor runs for and just wear it. But don't expect it to ever have the gravitas or rarity of a real Tudor Ranger.

T'was a lot of fun - sold it 7 years ago and my get the rough old bird back one of these days

[​IMG]

11. Ottsby Mar 6, 2020

Are you married to the Tudor Ranger idea? I personally prefer the 1/14270 36mm Explorer and I can highly recommend it as a daily, both on strap and bracelet. I prefer the 114270 with solid end links.

watch3s likes this.
  12. watch3s Mar 6, 2020

this borders too much on the 5500 explorer 1 minefield, id avoid