Forums Latest Members

Thinking of purchasing this moonwatch

1. Djstegal Feb 11, 2020

This watch is posted for sale on a reputable site. Do you notice the discoloration on the hour and minute hands as well as the sub dial on the right? I haven’t seen this in other similar watches. Nothing to be worried about or is this a clear red flag?

F553A7D7-D819-454B-90EE-5BE05E292EA4.jpeg 6050FCB4-6141-49C0-95C8-AA8F0BAE2BF3.jpeg
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 11, 2020

Need natural light shots to make a conclusion. It presents as a post 1999 watch. At least the dial is luminova which was installed in all watches from 1999 on.

3. BradleyJ. Feb 11, 2020

Pun likes this.
  4. Badwolf Feb 11, 2020

The prices always look attractive, but I'm not so sure when you factor in import tax and the heavy polishing.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 11, 2020

And your always guaranteed a small bracelet if you don’t get box and all.
    Most watches from Japan have bracelets sized to Japanese wrists.

Seiko divers from Japan are renowned for having bracelets sized for 12 year olds :D

Badwolf likes this.
  6. Badwolf Feb 11, 2020

And the polishing makes them even smaller ;)

7. BradleyJ. Feb 11, 2020

Over polish = less material = looser ;)

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 11, 2020

Elady are not overly polished on new watches.

also links on modern bracelets are not really an issue.

9. RARJ Feb 11, 2020

Unless you know and can verify the service history of a watch of of warranty then I typically assign a reasonably good chance that the watch will need an overhaul.

Consider the cost/benefit of initially saving a few bucks (potentially many bucks) on going that route. An overhaul carried out by Omega on a speedy isn't cheap (it's about $1000 CAD in Canada) but your watch will come back looking brand new (assuming the case/bracelet hasn't been too cleaned up in past polishing jobs).

Now, is the potential cost of the watch needing an overhaul and any import taxes/duties worth the difference in price vs getting one new or almost new (and ideally with a bit of a discount)?

Then take that difference and amortize it over the life of you owning the watch. I think you'll find that once you own a Speedy it'll be hard to part ways with. That being the case, getting a slightly newer one (maybe even one on warranty still) I would argue is worth the difference in price.

It may be $1k-$2k more going that route but piece of mind on something you'll likely own for a long time when broken down as a "per year cost factor", to me at least wins the argument of getting one new or new-ish (either on warranty or has been recently serviced).

Just my 2 cents though (speaking both as an accountant and collector of watches for almost 20 years now).

Stuntman81 likes this.
  10. Djstegal Feb 11, 2020

appreciate you taking the time to offer this information

11. RARJ Feb 12, 2020

My pleasure! I probably go through this at least once a month with a friend who has decided to get their first proper Swiss watch.

It's nice being able to take advantage of others experiences (mostly mistakes) and find out where and how to avoid making them too.