Forums Latest Members

Thinking of purchasing my first UG and in need of some expert opinions!

1. desghk Feb 13, 2018

Hi everyone,

I've just recently gotten into Universals and am thinking of purchasing my very first one - I happen to live in an Asian country where Universals are rare, and experts even rarer! As such, I'd be ever so grateful if you guys could let me have your thoughts on these examples!

The first one:

https://www.fullywound.co.uk/produc...register-chronograph-caliber-285-vintage-1941

Second one:

https://www.fullywound.co.uk/produc...y-1941-ref-22420-chronograph-cal-285-all-orig

I welcome all views, but I am primarily concerned with whether these watches are legit, and whether you'd consider them good purchases, taking into consideration their condition and price?

I'm a newcomer to Universals so go gentle on me please and thanks in advance!

isnardi likes this.
  2. Florent Feb 14, 2018

Hi There,
    Welcome to this forum !! ;)

The second one is a redial, that mean the original dial from the factory was reprint. You can see that because the fonts are different ... Avoid ! You have to exercise your eyes by seeing a lot of original models.

The first one seems better. Pushers, crown, hands and dial seems original to me. Those sword hands should been lumed, so it would be a great idea IMHO to make them lumed with a vintage lume matching the dial color by your watchmaker :thumbsup:

The price seems fair too, maybe try to negociate a little bit ?

I would recommend you to buy a really good book about UG, by Pietro Sala. A must have ;)

Larry S, sdre and GeraldLui like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 16, 2018

One caution about UG ...you need a good watchmaker to own these and keep your sanity. They are basically out of business, parts are dear and you can't hand these to just anybody to repair. They don't like humidity either. +1 on Florent's recco. (watch and book)

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 16, 2018

Welcome BTW and good on you for having the sense to come here first.

5. Oku Feb 17, 2018

Hands are not original to the watch. Seconds hand is too long as well as the hour hand.

Florent likes this.
  6. jumpingsecond Feb 17, 2018

Damn this seller claims ALL ORIGINAL in bold and goes on to tout originality throughout his pitch on both watches. Is he just uninformed or crooked? I would steer clear completely.

7. Florent Feb 17, 2018

indeed