The watch that PROBABLY got me into collecting and help identifying it. (Warning, long story)

Hello all. I don't believe I have told this story before, but I believe that this watch, or lack of receiving it, and the fact that I was always subconsciously trying to replace it, is why I became a watch collector. The full background is as follows and I will try and keep it simple and straight forward. On August 16th of 1978, when I was only 15, my paternal Grandfather passed of a sudden heart attack. It was my first major loss of family. On the way to the funeral, my Grandmother promised me his watch. Days, months and years passed and I never mentioned it to her that she had never given me Grampa's watch, even though I really wanted it....I didn't even know the brand or if watches had any value back then. I wanted it because it had been my Grampa's watch. I was raised to be polite, not ask for things and to say "Thank you." very quickly when I was given something. About 7 years ago my Grandmother passed and I still didn't have the watch. 2 and a half years ago my father's older brother, my Uncle passed and a little over a year ago I was told I could have something of his if I wanted it. I said to my wife, I don't know what to ask for, I don't want to ask for something of real value or seem greedy. She responded, "You could ask about his watch, you collect, you would use it and who knows if it is more than just a Timex anyway." So, I asked about his watch. My cousin told me, "You can have the watch he got from Grammie when Grampa died, you can have Grampa's old Hamilton." I was finally going to get Grampa's watch that I had been promised 41 years earlier!! OK, here is my dilemma, problem....whatever. The watch has been redialed. I want to get it restored to it's original condition. I believe I have identified the original model as a Hamilton M100-3. Would you all please look at the pics of my Grandfather's redialed watch and what an original M100-3 looks like and tell me if I am correct? Also, I feel that @Vanallard and maybe a couple of others out there are Hamilton experts and maybe could direct me on how to find a NOS dial for this case and I can get the movement serviced and wear it in the condition it was meant to be worn. Before I joined here, I may have been able to wear a redialed watch, but now I just can't. LOL Plus, I feel it was redialed in the 41 years that it was in my uncle's possession, so I would be putting it back to the condition my Grandfather wore it. Any help on the identification or direction on picking up a dial would be greatly appreciated.

McK

20200627_170844.jpg

Hamilton M100-3.jpg
Edited:

I don't know where you're located but you are probably better off simply buying a similar watch with it's original dial and have the dial installed in yours. If you were in NYC you could hit the 47th st vintage jewelry and watch dealers (once the pandemic subsides) and find bushels of vintage hamiltons as they are a dime a dozen here in the tri-state area. Your other alternative is ebay.

I am in Maine. I will search eBay. I doubt anyone will do the research to list their watch as a M100-3......but I can check. I wish I was near you....Hamiltons aren't exactly a dime a dozen on eBay. Do you agree with my identification of the model? I do appreciate your reply @janice&fred.

McK

Do you agree with my identification of the model?

I have no idea about Hamilton model #'s but once you have that established you should be good to go as far as searching for something with a dial you think matches the watch you have. The movement shot in a sales description might also alert you to the exact matchup case-wise. Hopefully one of the Hamilton experts here can help you narrow down the possibilities but like I said, no matter what it's probably going to result in you buying a suitable donor watch for the dial.

Hamilton automatics of that vintage are often the Buren based Micro rotor movement as shown. I suspect you might be embarking on an arduous hunt, looking for either a dial, or a donor watch with a dial that matches the original dial that your watch had. I suspect a donor watch with a good dial might be a pricy commodity.

CDC35CFD-D05B-4CEA-B24D-07E703710AB5.jpeg

I appreciate all your responses, but no one has weighed in on if they agree with my i.d. of the correct model. I would really like to know if @Canuck or someone else with some knowledge agrees. I believe the case with the indent at the crown and the taper at the end of the lugs and the hands are all the same. I believe the dial "rim" or "dishing" at the outer rim is the same, but the re-dialer could not get the outer track of gold correct, or didn't want to take the time to do so, so he just painted out to the edge of the dial all one color. Oh, and I feel the indices are the same. Please, what does everyone else think? @mydeafcat, anyone?? Thank you all for reading and your feedback.

McK
Edited:

I can't ID the watch, but redialing was routine in those days. The watch you have is what your grandfather wore and enjoyed. He had good taste—wear it and be proud. If your interest in vintage watches leads to you additionally acquire a nice old Hamilton (or any other beautiful old) watch, you have your grandfather to thank for that.

You can find all the old Hamilton catalogs here:

https://vintagewatchforums.com/viewforum.php?f=21

Try 1963.

upload_2020-6-28_8-25-44.png

Not a micro rotor movement. You can see a full disassembly and cleaning of the watch here.

http://www.hamiltonchronicles.com/2015/09/1963-accumatic-601.html?m=1

I think your only chance for a replacement dial is to find another watch on eBay. It will not be easy to find.

In those days, Hamilton made dozens of models each year and they usually were made for one year only. So there probably was never a huge population of these even when new.

Good luck with your search.
gatorcpa

You can find all the old Hamilton catalogs here:

https://vintagewatchforums.com/viewforum.php?f=21

Try 1963.

upload_2020-6-28_8-25-44.png

Not a micro rotor movement. You can see a full disassembly and cleaning of the watch here.

http://www.hamiltonchronicles.com/2015/09/1963-accumatic-601.html?m=1

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

Yes Sir, that site is where I made my possible ID from and I have had Dan's site bookmarked and read it every so often for years and I know the pic of the original is his. Thank you very much for your post @gatorcpa . Does this mean you agree with me on the ID? Your help and you weighing in are very much appreciated.

McK

Does this mean you agree with me on the ID?
Yes. The problem you will have is that most potential sellers will not have a clue on the model ID. You will need to search the entire vintage Hamilton section of eBay, as there is no easy way to identify this watch.
gatorcpa

I agree with your assessment that most will not do the research required to list it as a M100-3 and I will have to search every listing. Thank you again for weighing back in. You are a gentleman.

McK