Forums Latest Members

The Waiting List Is Real…

1. BenzBhoy Jan 15, 2023

Hi
    The Rolex dealer would keep the warranty card, for one year this was common practice with friends of mine that had agreed to this- the idea was they couldn’t flip it as it was not a full set. NB: this did not happen in 2008 or 2012 to me. This only occurred in 2019 to myself.

The Rolex dealer wanted me to sign that if I was selling the watch, they would have first option to buy it back.

As I said, I refused, in any case I know that people maybe interested however I will not be back, end of story. Please find a screen shot of an email.

Sorry to those that are reading this and are dismayed as it’s an Omega forum and I have recently joined, apologies to those that maybe bored by this.

kindest regards

D0C473CA-C03A-4983-BC41-8F92E6C32D23.jpeg
  2. JMO1995 Jan 15, 2023

Don’t worry this thread is in the Rolex section of the forum.

That’s one way of preventing people from flipping watches I suppose. Without knowing the details it does sound that if they had 1st option then they would be the ones flipping the watch as I’d imagine they wouldn’t offer market value to buy it back from you?

3. BenzBhoy Jan 15, 2023

Hi
    Not sure what there idea was, I didn’t even look at their paperwork and I would imagine that it would probably not have stood up in a court of law.
    For me, it was purely on principle and that they felt that they could dictate terms on your hard earned money. I wasn’t flipping anything, however I do think that Rolex have done theirselves no favours in conducting business in this way. In the longer term If supply outstrips demand they will have a huge problem, either way I ain’t going back!

vintage hab likes this.
  4. chrisb732 Jan 15, 2023

@BenzBhoy thanks for sharing your experience.

BenzBhoy likes this.
  5. vbrad26 Jan 16, 2023

So is it "bad" to put your name down at an AD (good relationship or not), wait XXXX amount of time, only to get the call and say "oh nah I don't want it"?
    What are people's experiences with this?
    I have no issue putting my name down, and not necessarily any issue with a purchase - depending on the timing hah.

6. marcn Enough space to say witty Jan 16, 2023

In my experience, it’s about not wasting time when the call comes; decide quickly and let them move on to the next guy on their list.

vbrad26 and MTROIS like this.
  7. MTROIS Jan 16, 2023

I don’t like to waste people’s time, or mine. If you really don’t like it, or can’t make it happen financially, or whatever a valid reason, just say so and I am sure, these days, it will not be an issue for them to sell the watch.
    But to just put your name down to see if you get a call would be lame IMO.

Edit: @marcn beat me to it. :D

vbrad26 and marcn like this.
  8. vbrad26 Jan 16, 2023

Of course. Definitely not trying to waste anyone's time or just put my name down for the sake of it.
    Was just curious to know from those who have said "no" what the outcome was...
    I wouldn't want to pass on it if I were going to burn a bridge so to speak. Guess it depends on the attitude of the AD?
    If that were the case I'd rather just wait till I know for 100% certain I'd be ready when the time comes.
    I mean I'm 100% certain...my wife...she is not haha.

chrisb732 likes this.
  9. chrisb732 Jan 16, 2023

@vbrad26 in all that time it takes them to get you something you will have plenty of time to get everybody 100% on board with it, hopefully!

10. vbrad26 Jan 16, 2023

Yeah see, you get it! :D

chrisb732 likes this.
  11. MTROIS Jan 16, 2023

Thank you for bringing more clarity Brad… and I can actually chime in on your exact question then:
    The situation you describe actually happened to me! I had put my name down for a Rolex DSSD D-Blue back in the Spring of 2019… and eventually got the call in November of that year. The problem, I had just bought three Speedy in the past few months (the two Apollo 11 and a Hesalite 1861), so I simply explained to my contact at the AD that the timing was not great but that I was still very much interested. He understood… and eventually called me back in March of 2020, time at which I took delivery of what became to be known as the “pandemic watch” in my family.
    So, no, depending on how and what you communicate, you will not necessarily “burn your bridges”.

chrisb732 and vbrad26 like this.
  12. Eve Jan 16, 2023

Thats the thing, there are different circumstaces that might happen in a few years time. The price might rise outside your comfort zone in two year period, or another purchase shortly before the call.
    It might be even that they dont have the watch in stock to even try on at the time you put your name on the list.. what if you just dont like it when you try it on for the first time. For me it is a reasonable excuse, even though i "wasted" their time. This is their job after all.

chrisb732 and vbrad26 like this.
  13. MTROIS Jan 16, 2023

We are on the same page… in the same book!!
    I was just arguing that if you are only putting your name for a social experiment, to see if you will ever get a call whenever you have ZERO interest in the watch, then, IMHO, you shouldn’t do it. But that’s JUST me.

Eve likes this.
  14. vbrad26 Jan 16, 2023

I appreciate the insight @MTROIS and @Eve !
    Yeah my initial comment was somewhat in jest, though I AM serious about eventually getting a 226570.
    I only splurge on myself when it has been a good year at the office, and I can't depend on all of them being good!

MTROIS likes this.
  15. Eve Jan 16, 2023

I agree that would be a waste of time indeed :)