Forums Latest Members
  1. Zippo Oct 23, 2019

Hello - firstly, let me introduce myself as I’m newbie to the forum, I’m Dave! I hope you will not judge any posts too harshly. Ive naively decided to but a Speedmaster, I say naively as I didn’t realise the absolute minefield I would encounter following that initial decision. There are just so many varieties, different ages, combinations, condition etc etc, it made my head hurt.

I then realised that when I looked on the internet I just could not tell if a Speedmaster was original or not, whether it had service parts or not or even what age it was. The descriptions varied wildly and were quite often light on detail.

Here is an example:

I saw this watch online. It was advertised as a 145.0022 with a 861 movement. When I asked about the parts they said they were consistent with age (although they couldn’t tell me the age!) I asked for the serial number which they kindly supplied which is 77xxxxxx. That dates it, I think, to around 2005. So in turn the watch (in my extremely limited knowledge) is in fact a 3570.50.00 with a 1861 movement. No paperwork accompanies the watch. I can only assume they looked at the case back and no further!

Anyway, what’s your general advise don’t touch them with a barge pole as they clearly don’t know what they are talking about or is it still a decent watch. As I mentioned I cant tell if the dial, hands bezel insert are original or not?

Where would you buy a Speedmaster (non-current version)?

Apologies for rambling!

Dave
    [​IMG]

2. cgaites Oct 23, 2019

The watch pictures has a modern SuperLuminova dial and hands, a modern bezel, and a modern dial. Based on that picture and what you said about the serial number it looks to be a 3570.50 and not a 145.022.

Do you have any other pictures? What does the case back look like? Can the seller provide a picture of the movement?

3. Zippo Oct 23, 2019

Hi, thanks for the response! Here are the only other pics. They seem to be reluctant to open it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dennisthemenace likes this.
  4. Faz Oct 23, 2019

One way to avoid the minefield is to get a new, modern version. Basically unchanged since 1969. I've had my share of the vintage ones and the market is so crazy that greed has ruined it for me. The Speedmaster is probably the only watch you can get off the shelf that is basically the same product as 50 years ago. And they are MUCH cheaper.

Cheers,

watch3s, rob#1, Mad Dog and 11 others like this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 23, 2019

You are mixing up case number, in this case 145.0022 and PIC, likely 3570.50. The serial number is different again, stamped on the movement and lug and unique to the watch. Both are correct for a Speedy from 1997 to ~ 2012 when the longer PIC code suitcase model was introduced. That isn’t any earlier as it would have case number 145.022 and a tritium dial.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Zippo Oct 23, 2019

Thanks Faz - ive been toying with that, but the patina on the older ones keep drawing me back. However, the 5 year warranty on a new one is sweet! I really, really like the Tintin, but those prices are rediculous!

JTridesbikes likes this.
  7. wagudc Oct 23, 2019

Keep an eye on the sales forum here. Some nice Speedmasters come up regularly. If you want a classic there are several in the $7k - $10k-ish range right now, and this piece for $4500, but as seller says it is due for a service (add about $750).

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-145-022-69-4500.102476/

There is also an 80s Speedmaster for $3525 which you should also plan to service. Nice bracelet too.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...022-1982-3-4-5m-serial-1171-633-3-525.101598/

And since you mentioned the Tin Tin, here is a Speedy with a TinTin dial that is not to much money:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/now...-speedmaster-3570-50-w-box-and-papers.102284/

I am sure there is more if you look.

Risto, oddboy and Dedalus05 like this.
  8. cgaites Oct 23, 2019

Yes, your right. I just mentally dropped the extra zero in 145.0022, and assumed that the OP was asking if the seller was lying/mistaken about the watch being a 145.022. Thank you for the correction.

9. Martin_F Oct 23, 2019

If the seller doesn't work with you, don't buy from him.
    He's clearly trying to hide something or at least making it harder for you to do your diligence.

I started out similar to you wanting a vintage piece, but mostly due to the reasons you mentioned above, I'm close to buying a new one from one of the sellers on here.

watch3s likes this.
  10. Zippo Oct 23, 2019

Thats great, thanks for the pointer. I will keep my eyes peeled!

11. Zippo Oct 23, 2019

Yes, I think your're right...walk away (quickly)!

12. percymon Oct 23, 2019

Hi Dave, from another Dave !

Yes i know that minefield, i'm much the same as you, seeing loads of potential watches and getting ever more critical in my checks as the weeks go by.

Those photos look like a watch at a UK Pawnbrokers, also listed in eBay ?

13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 23, 2019

Zippo, firstly welcome to the forum. Secondly, slow down. Develop a check list. New or used. Budget. Model. Etc Etc. Do your research. Look through sites like this: http://speedmaster101.com/ The process is a little daunting at first, but it is also half the fun. If you rush your are likely to choose poorly.

14. Zippo Oct 23, 2019

Hello another Dave! yes they are indeed, well spotted! The trouble for me is there are a few sellers out there who ruin it for the legit ones as you just don't know who to trust when coming at it from zero knowledge.

percymon likes this.
  15. percymon Oct 23, 2019

Indeed, hence why this place and its reference sources/links are so important not to get stung. Good luck in your search, that’s not a bad watch for the money; just a pity the seller isn’t the most accurate or forthcoming with info in their adverts

16. scapa Oct 23, 2019

Lots of good advice in this thread -- also a rookie and have had similar experiences trying to source specific Speedies, and slowing down the process while narrowing the search has been helpful for sure.

kingsrider likes this.
  17. Zippo Oct 23, 2019

Thanks, however for another £500 I could get brand new. There are too many dilemmas!!!

18. Zippo Oct 23, 2019

Thanks, however for another £500 I could get brand new. There are too many dilemmas!!!

19. Zippo Oct 23, 2019

Narrowing down is so hard as there is so much temptation out there. Just when you think you know what you want your eyes catch something new and off you go on a tangent you never knew existed! Slowing down looks like sound advise even if the prices aren’t

20. Martin_F Oct 23, 2019